Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lack of available names? (Help needed)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Lack of available names? (Help needed)

Ajaxduo
04.24.2013 , 03:18 PM | #1
Currently I have one character Falere Lvl 55 Powertech but now I'm looking to start new characters. I like names that sound 'realistic' yet unique, I put a lot of thought into my characters. Although it can takes hours sometimes days until you actually get a somewhat decent name. I understand that this game is nearing 2 years of age so a lot of people have created characters and such so the common names are taken etc. It's somewhat frustrating so I'm turning to you the community and hoping that you can inspire me with some cool names and stuff. Characters I'm hoping to make: Imperial Agent (Human Female), Sith Sorcerer (Human Female). So uh yeah...help? haha

Tatile
04.24.2013 , 03:28 PM | #2
Actually the game's not even a year and a half yet, but that's being overly pedantic.

Humans, hmm?

Are there any particular sounds or letters you like to use or which you feel would better reflect your character's personalities?

elliotcat
04.24.2013 , 03:35 PM | #3
Some ideas that I do:

- Look up names from other countries and places. Indian and Arabian names are my favorite. They are very pretty and also unique. DO NOT PICK JAPANESE. This only makes you look like a rabid anime nerd.
- Get some mythology/folklore books, but not Greek/Roman because everybody uses those. Egyptian in moderation for the same reason.
- Go here: The Plant List. Here is a list of Latin names of flowering plants. All of them in existence. You can play with the spellings to make them look/sound cooler or more like given names (example: for my sorcerer I made Elaeis (a plant) into Elaeys.
- In general, Latin taxonomic names of animals and plants are fantastic sources of names. I use The Plant List because it's a great centralized list of useful inspiration. Here's a list of butterfly and moth species which is also nice: Butterflies and Moths

Well, there are my secrets, so don't tell.

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

Tatile
04.24.2013 , 03:40 PM | #4
I have got to be honest, I hit buttons until I find a nice vowel/consonant sequence that works and easily spelt.

I have a level 4 Trooper named Zdinne. I somehow managed to nab Benedicta, three times. When in doubt, apostrophes.

Ajaxduo
04.24.2013 , 03:48 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Actually the game's not even a year and a half yet, but that's being overly pedantic.

Humans, hmm?

Are there any particular sounds or letters you like to use or which you feel would better reflect your character's personalities?
Which is why I said nearing :P it's about 4 months off I think. I'm an avid rp'er so it is somewhat meaningful to me I just wondered if anyone could share a little inspiration. I'm looking to make a Imperial Agent Sniper. Human Female, white hair and ice blue eyes (somewhat Echani like). Going to play light side. I'd appreciate the help.

Tatile
04.24.2013 , 03:58 PM | #6
Solisha?

Viozha, maybe?

Ajaxduo
04.24.2013 , 04:13 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
Some ideas that I do:

- Look up names from other countries and places. Indian and Arabian names are my favorite. They are very pretty and also unique. DO NOT PICK JAPANESE. This only makes you look like a rabid anime nerd.
- Get some mythology/folklore books, but not Greek/Roman because everybody uses those. Egyptian in moderation for the same reason.
- Go here: The Plant List. Here is a list of Latin names of flowering plants. All of them in existence. You can play with the spellings to make them look/sound cooler or more like given names (example: for my sorcerer I made Elaeis (a plant) into Elaeys.
- In general, Latin taxonomic names of animals and plants are fantastic sources of names. I use The Plant List because it's a great centralized list of useful inspiration. Here's a list of butterfly and moth species which is also nice: Butterflies and Moths

Well, there are my secrets, so don't tell.
Pretty interesting, I'll give it a go thanks!

CenronPerseus
04.24.2013 , 10:14 PM | #8
Well, you could always do a method I've done when coming up with any fantasy/sci-fi names: Look around where ever your computer is and pick 2-3 objects at random. Simply splice them together in various ways or use only the letters present to make something up. Scissors and a window, say, could become RossDoscin.

Sometimes takes a moment to connect things, but hey, it's usually original and since it's Star Wars, you can have something crazily named and it would still fit (See: Vrblthers). Or you could just be silly and mash your keyboard (which it looks like they did with whoever came up with Vrblthers) and say something like Rvgeauwl and be all "That's pronounced RavageAzul!"

Euphrosyne
04.24.2013 , 11:37 PM | #9
I use prosopographies of classical Mediterranean history to generate names I like, except for the two that I named after characters in a fantasy novel series I enjoy. These return obscure names - unlike looking through mythology for "Athene"s and "Ianvs"es and "Ariadne"s - that nevertheless "look" realistic. The works I use most are the PLRE and the PBW.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil

Delta_V
04.25.2013 , 12:11 AM | #10
I also struggled with this. I've always been terrible with coming up with names, even in single player games where I could have whatever name I wanted. In an mmo, where so many names are already taken, it's even worse.

In the end, I just hit the random generator button until I found something that wasn't completely horrible.