Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

dialogue "choices"

drealmer
12.23.2011 , 01:12 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Parthenon View Post
I partly agree with the OP and partly think it's better to just live with it and enjoy the game
Yeah, I'm trying. Believe me I'd like to have it not be an issue, but it is very immersion breaking when I'm at any significant plot point and I have to stress over the choices because I can't decipher (again, not always, it's 70% of the time blatantly obvious, even though I still don't like how it was done) and then I ESC out and go back through numerous times (very very immersion breaking, it kind of is killing the story for me, and absolutely NO reason to go back and play a new char. of the same type to see 'the other path.')

I've been playing RPGs for most of my life, never had this issue, ya know? They've always been so well written with didactic scripts that you can tell exactly how you're saying what you're saying and there would be numerous choices to get JUST the right nuance/intention that you intended for the character you are playing, that's a HUGE part of an RPG. With all the emphasis put on how RPG this MMO would be, and the fact that a good portion of the dialogue choices have consequences one way or the other, it's a bit of a shock (and confusing as to their reasoning) to have it so loose and inexact.

I don't suppose I could get a response from developers explaining why they didn't allow the full dialogue to be viewed and chosen from/why they went with this system? Simply understanding their reasoning may alleviate a great deal of my repeated frustration .

Karkais
12.23.2011 , 04:57 PM | #32
Mass effect 2 had it nice, the choice listed the first few words of what the character would say. It wasnt enough to know everything, but it gave a good idea.

Of course the choice should be clear enough to know whether its negative/positive/friendly/antagonistic etc.

In my opinion a tooltip listing most of the dialog option would be nice. Just hover the mouse over the choice to know what it would say. This is of course is impossible on consoles, but were on PC.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

drealmer
12.30.2011 , 03:58 AM | #33
in case anyone was wondering, I've resorted to cancelling out of the conversations and restarting them...and restarting them....and restarting them...usually by the 4th go through (sometimes the 3rd) I have it set and can actually continue on...it's not very fun or immersing though, and I still don't really like how limited the options are and don't understand why I can't just read what I'm going to say before saying it. Also, rather than finding the one that suits me, I find the ones that bring my affection points up, because that is all that seems to matter in the convos, not how I am actually....

(because none of them actually suit me a lot of the time, worst RPG I've ever played in that regard, I can usually choose something that fits me/my char and do that consistently through the game, this has me being one way sometimes, and other ways other times, and not for my lack of trying the various responses, it's just not scripted that way...the jedi knight has a bit of an ego and attitude that is not befitting a jedi, it seems a lot of his responses all around are not very jedi-like, then sometimes they are and I'm like "yeah! that! that is how I always want to be!", and then he isn't like that for a while...I don't get it.)

The more I play the game the more I dislike the voice acting, dialogue choices/writing, and the fact that they call it an RPG when they've clearly chosen the path for each character (LS/DS is a joke as far as that goes.)

DamienStark
12.30.2011 , 01:39 PM | #34
I used to see people complaining about this in Mass Effect or Dragon Age, but I never experienced the problem myself until here in TOR.

I'd agree that 95% of the time the basic tone or gist is clear, and it's actually more interesting/engaging NOT to have already read everything your character is about to say - that would make the voice acting seem tedious.

But that 5% can be really frustrating. Recent example:
There's a Jawa rebellion on Tatooine, Empire sends me to wipe them out. I confront the Jawas and option 1 - usually the good/friendly option - is "I'm here to end this rebellion"
Great! I'm thinking this will be me telling them peacefully to stop rebelling for their own safety. No, instead my character says something like "I'm going to kill you all so you can't keep this up!"
Hmmm.

ESC is a good tip, I didn't know that before, and it's probably the best workaround here. I don't think the whole system needs revamping, there's just a few rough spots where the short text and full text don't match up as clearly as they should...

RiledRodian
12.30.2011 , 01:48 PM | #35
First world problems.
Buy the Coruscant Condo of your dreams!
Adjustable APR loans now available to almost anyone!
-~~- CZERKA SACHS-~~-
The Banking Clan You Trust

missjigsaw
12.31.2011 , 12:41 AM | #36
I agree that there needs to be at least a little bit more indication of what is going to be said, in some cases.

For example, I chose a "Sounds simple enough" option for my Sentinel, in response to a plan. Instead of actually SAYING that the plan sounded simple enough, he boasted about there not being anything that could stand in his way... Now, I RP him a little bit on the arrogant side, to offset his overwhelming niceness (he's, as his Smuggler and Trooper friends say, "disgustingly self-sacrificing") but even that was a little overboard for me, and "sounds simple enough" didn't really convey "I'm going to brag and be a douche" very well.

Another example, said Smuggler friend chose "I see we're not alone" on the dialogue wheel. Her character then went on to call the doctor "Fish-head", and she had to back out of the conversation and go for another option, because as she said, racial slurs are not in her character's vocabulary. Anywhere. Ever. So yeah, at least in SOME cases, there could be a little more indication of what you're going to say before you say it. The "fish-head" option could have been "What's with the alien?" or something similar...
Juno: Is there a psychological profile in there, too?
PROXY: Actually, yes. But it's classified. *whispers* Oh, master, I can tell you she's going to be impossible to reprogram.

drealmer
12.31.2011 , 01:38 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by missjigsaw View Post
I agree that there needs to be at least a little bit more indication of what is going to be said, in some cases.

For example, I chose a "Sounds simple enough" option for my Sentinel, in response to a plan. Instead of actually SAYING that the plan sounded simple enough, he boasted about there not being anything that could stand in his way... Now, I RP him a little bit on the arrogant side, to offset his overwhelming niceness (he's, as his Smuggler and Trooper friends say, "disgustingly self-sacrificing") but even that was a little overboard for me, and "sounds simple enough" didn't really convey "I'm going to brag and be a douche" very well.

Another example, said Smuggler friend chose "I see we're not alone" on the dialogue wheel. Her character then went on to call the doctor "Fish-head", and she had to back out of the conversation and go for another option, because as she said, racial slurs are not in her character's vocabulary. Anywhere. Ever. So yeah, at least in SOME cases, there could be a little more indication of what you're going to say before you say it. The "fish-head" option could have been "What's with the alien?" or something similar...
yeah, the game is just full of bad writing and worse implementation of said bad writing while trying to join that with voice dialogue, it's quite a mess imo and the worst system I've ever seen as far as 'playing a character', in so many ways.