Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

dialogue "choices"

drealmer
12.21.2011 , 01:34 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JonnnyB View Post
In general for BW games...

Top: nice
Middle: neutral
Bottom: mean

Should give you a rough idea of what you are going to say and doesn't *always* hold true.
I'm not dumb, I can figure out the options most of the time, but maybe 30% of the time (which is a lot), I can't or they are at least not obvious which is which (and I have to re-read, again and again, and GUESS at what they mean.) They don't always follow suit as you laid it out, if it did, it would make sense, but they mix it up...it is like they try to confuse you and make you inconsistent with the choices. Seriously, bunches of the phrasing are convoluted to the extreme and makes me wonder who typed out the dialogue options to go along with the actual voice choices, who directed them to do so, and what on earth were they thinking when they did it?

I can't be the only one with this problem. If you don't have this problem, don't flame and troll, be glad and go elsewhere, or at least be helpful (like the ESC key guy.)

Simple. I should not be guessing at what my character is saying.

Inarai
12.21.2011 , 02:16 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by drealmer View Post
So did return to zork! and a bunch of other games that have a MUCH BETTER dialogue system than this game does. what good is a bunch of well-written/well-acted dialogue (especially the main characters that you play) if the system it is a part of is simply aggravating. It's like a giant beautiful diamond in the pile of poo...
The point: You have missed it.

DA2's dialogue system was the same save for some window dressing, such as the aforementioned. The system itself is fine, it's just missing one piece of information that would allow it to be better.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashes_Arizona View Post
Pardon me I need to call my broker and diversify into aluminum processing. Tinfoil hats are getting pretty popular.

eatmyreaper
12.21.2011 , 04:20 AM | #13
Forget the voice acting give me optional hoods I HATE HOODS!

Lukashisuphola
12.21.2011 , 04:10 PM | #14
Ya I use esc a lot as it can be rather hard to understand what your character may say, and have even posted a fair amount with other people during beta on this subject.

Best I can say is use ESC when can and get something differnt to what you ment, try and remember that typicaly: top-lightside middle-normal bottom-darkside not as much the typical good-neutrel-evil as this is Star Wars, and just try and think of what the pass things have been maybe even during the conversation to get a feel of what they are allowing your character to be in a sense.

overall though I suppose it is fine, but I do hope and assume in time they will maybe include more of the words or something.

Also I and many others HATED DA2's thing that toke it way to far .... (not to say some didn't like it or w/e obviously), but the sheer Hatred for it was very high and therefore hopefully and assumingly this game won't adapt it.
Anything is possible, just not probable.

Lukashisuphola
12.21.2011 , 04:11 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by eatmyreaper View Post
Forget the voice acting give me optional hoods I HATE HOODS!
Just had to lol at that because your avatar wears a hood, but they have said they will eventualy make hoods changeable just due to the difficulty they have not yet.
Anything is possible, just not probable.

Yaksha
12.21.2011 , 04:27 PM | #16
I've found most of the dialogue choices fairly obvious. But of course, some of that is taking into account knowledge of the star wars universe - what is the sterotypical sith lord behaviour?

Point is, if people are not familiar with the lore, not familiar with bioware-dialogue, and in particular if they are not playing on a server with their native language... I can see there being some issues.

I don't see why it'd hurt, if you could mouse over an option and see the full text on a flyout.
....but... the one issue i see in this is that it'll encourage people to take longer during group flashpoints to make their choices.

drealmer
12.21.2011 , 04:35 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Yaksha View Post

Point is, if people are not familiar with the lore, not familiar with bioware-dialogue, and in particular if they are not playing on a server with their native language... I can see there being some issues.
none of that applies to me, I am familiar with Star Wars, BioWare, and english is my native language, so your argument is false. Fact is, some of the stuff is BLATENTLY obvious what it means (but still not what he will say), and some of it is damn cryptic. I specifically make a choice that I think is what my Jedi SHOULD SAY, and he comes off with an attitude, NOT COOL

Quote: Originally Posted by Lukashisuphola View Post

Best I can say is use ESC when can and get something differnt to what you ment, try and remember that typicaly: top-lightside middle-normal bottom-darkside not as much the typical good-neutrel-evil as this is Star Wars, and just try and think of what the pass things have been maybe even during the conversation to get a feel of what they are allowing your character to be in a sense.
I'm totally aware of this, and still I'm playing a guessing game, what you are describing here IS a guessing game. Especially when the top-middle-bottom IS NOT CONSISTENT.

ikinai
12.21.2011 , 05:22 PM | #18
Really? You take issue with a few words that infer what the character will say instead of it just being written out fully for you? I have had no issues deciphering how my characters will react, so what, they don't say the exact words that are there. I don't see the problem.
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School

FlashbackJon
12.21.2011 , 06:25 PM | #19
I don't really have this problem. (Okay, occasionally I am surprised when a response I thought was snarky comes out malicious.)

I will admit, though, that since they DO already have the dialog written out (see: subtitles), I would not be opposed to a checkbox in options that lets me see the exact text.
Adoko Kooba, Sith Marauder
Republic Mercy Corps | Imperial Mercenary Corps

Explorer 80, Socializer 80, Achiever 33, Killer 7

snooggums
12.21.2011 , 06:54 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ikinai View Post
Really? You take issue with a few words that infer what the character will say instead of it just being written out fully for you? I have had no issues deciphering how my characters will react, so what, they don't say the exact words that are there. I don't see the problem.
So I have three choices:
"I wasn't difficult."
"There was some trouble."
"It was more difficult than I expected."

Which one is condescending, which one is a laugh, and which one is an offhanded comment? These kind of choices come up a lot and I haven't noticed a pattern to which is which.