Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The innocent bystanders on Makeb

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The innocent bystanders on Makeb

YoshiRaphElan
04.19.2013 , 06:49 PM | #1
Okay, I like that these guys react differently now; cowering down when you kill enemies nearby and whatnot. This is more realistic, which is good, and it provides environment to the game, which is good. But can you change them, so they don't aggro along with the enemy mobs they're near? It's annoying as a Jedi to have to kill an innocent bystander just because they aggro; and when we're in a quest area, we do have to kill them, because Knights at least can't drop aggro, so we'll have to run far back to drop the aggro, which is inconvenient. This means that we either keep aggro, and not use our regen, and go into battle with the next mob at insufficient health and repeatedly die, or we slaughter the poor innocents. I've been RP'ing so far by only killing them with stasis or push, so they're only "out cold," but if there's going to be a system or something later on that punishes or rewards us for killing or not killing these guys, it's extremely annoying to have to deal with them. I really don't want to get a load of DS points because I was forced to kill innocents, or my companion's AOE tore them to shreds when they weren't aggroed. My Jedi hasn't had a DS point his whole existence, and I will be very, very upset if I get a whole bunch later on for this system which I can't control.

Rankyn
04.19.2013 , 07:18 PM | #2
Killing innocents who are doing nothing more than cowering in fear of their life just so you can patch up your injuries before you continue your slaughter of those who aggressively oppose your goals is the Jedi way.

Tsillah
04.19.2013 , 07:21 PM | #3
Sucks to be a jedi, doesn't it?

I laugh at your light side antics. In real life innocents get stuck in the firing line all the time. So learn to deal with it or accept that you need to break some eggs when making an omelet.

Don't blame BW for the hard choices. Being a good guy never goes unpunished.
Because we do think in language. And so the quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

YoshiRaphElan
04.19.2013 , 07:23 PM | #4
Hey, I wouldn't necessarily mind on a Sith character. But make it optional, so the Sith can slaughter all they want and Jedi can pass them by. At least make them yellow as opposed to red, even if they still aggro easily at least we can make an attempt to stay away from them. Either that or separate them from the mobs we do have to fight.

Tsillah
04.19.2013 , 07:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by YoshiRaphElan View Post
Hey, I wouldn't necessarily mind on a Sith character. But make it optional, so the Sith can slaughter all they want and Jedi can pass them by. At least make them yellow as opposed to red, even if they still aggro easily at least we can make an attempt to stay away from them. Either that or separate them from the mobs we do have to fight.
It is optional. You just don't want it to cost effort...of course you can pull those mobs away from the innocents, of course you can clear a bit first around it so you don't overaggro. Whoever said the "good" choices are the easy ones? That's why I find this realistic as well as amusing.
Because we do think in language. And so the quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Rankyn
04.19.2013 , 07:34 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
In real life innocents get stuck in the firing line all the time.
The complaint isn't that innocents are getting stuck in the firing line because that would be the case if they were yellow and got an AoE dropped on them.

In this case, they're actually hostile toward you and holding you in combat mode even though they are doing nothing other than hiding in a corner.

I don't think I've ever seen one of them that's higher than level 6 so they won't even aggro you if you walk past them.
However, if you enter combat near them, that both makes them aggro and triggers their fear reaction so there's nothing for you to do but hunt them down and kill them to exit combat.

And "light side" aside, it's annoying from a gameplay standpoint because you frequently have to hunt them down.
It's an annoyance that didn't have to happen.

Just make them yellow and everybody's happy.
You can still slaughter them if you want and they can still be killed accidentally, but they don't hold you in combat for no good reason.

Tsillah
04.19.2013 , 07:38 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Rankyn View Post
The complaint isn't that innocents are getting stuck in the firing line because that would be the case if they were yellow and got an AoE dropped on them.

In this case, they're actually hostile toward you and holding you in combat mode even though they are doing nothing other than hiding in a corner.

I don't think I've ever seen one of them that's higher than level 6 so they won't even aggro you if you walk past them.
However, if you enter combat near them, that both makes them aggro and triggers their fear reaction so there's nothing for you to do but hunt them down and kill them to exit combat.

And "light side" aside, it's annoying from a gameplay standpoint because you frequently have to hunt them down.
It's an annoyance that didn't have to happen.

Just make them yellow and everybody's happy.
You can still slaughter them if you want and they can still be killed accidentally, but they don't hold you in combat for no good reason.
As far as I understand it, the innocents are yellow, but because they are nearby they get hit by aoe damage and turn red. That's what I'm talking about.

Drudenfusz
04.19.2013 , 07:46 PM | #8
As far as I understand it, the innocents are yellow, but because they are nearby they get hit by aoe damage and turn red. That's what I'm talking about.
Sadly that is not the case, many bystanders are killed by an AoE that is how low their levels often are. It's like OP says, some are just aggro and have to be killed to move on. Luckily I play a shadow so I sneak most of the time anyway... and I am currently pretty dark, so I don't mind killing them, still I thought it was strange that one has to kill them.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

Rankyn
04.19.2013 , 07:49 PM | #9
No, most of the bystanders on Makeb are Red.
Various civilians and droids.
Most are level 1.
They are unarmed and they either cower or run away when aggro'd.
They are not being aggro'd by AoE damage because they've only got like 12 hit points and if they'd taken any kind of hit at all, they'd have died.

There are a few that are yellow, but the vast majority of them are not.

Shingara
04.19.2013 , 07:50 PM | #10
Not meaning to go off topic but isnt there a thread on this already ?
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731