Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Looks Ancient (this one's a pearl, gentlemen)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Looks Ancient (this one's a pearl, gentlemen)

Machine-Elf
04.19.2013 , 04:47 PM | #1
So I was just checking out a walkthrough from the 2009 version of our favorite game and was amazed by how rudimentary everything looked. This, my friends, is the real reason why TOR cost so much money; they basically had to rework the game, almost from the ground up, in less than a year. They may have done so multiple times.

Anyway, looking at that video, there's no denying SWTOR has been evolving in leaps and bounds since it's original conception. At least in terms of its presentation (even though I hate the current default U.I.).

But then I noticed something in the fourth part of the video, I think, where it's made clear that Flashpoints were originally designed as showcases for how each of the different classes' unique abilities would complement one another. If only we had that back.

Come on BioWare, you know you want to.

xorcist
04.19.2013 , 05:35 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
So I was just checking out a walkthrough from the 2009 version of our favorite game and was amazed by how rudimentary everything looked. This, my friends, is the real reason why TOR cost so much money; they basically had rework the game, almost from the ground up, in less than a year. They may have done so multiple times.

Anyway, looking at that video, there's no denying SWTOR has been evolving in leaps and bounds since it's original conception. At least in terms of its presentation (even though I hate the current default U.I.).

But then I noticed something in the fourth part of the video, I think, where it's made clear that Flashpoints were originally designed as showcases for how each of the different classes' unique abilities would complement one another. If only we had that back.

You'll notice in that video at the end he talks about the player needs to feel heroic taking on multiple enemies. A far stretch of what we have now with 8 or 16 players beating down one large boss and some adds... Thats where we need the element of heroism. The feeling of impossible odds with no escape. But alas, the engine can't support more than 16 players or characters in the same area such as PvP etc without massive lag.
"There is no calamity greater than lavish desires....
And there is no greater disaster than greed
."

Aluano
04.19.2013 , 05:41 PM | #3
That running animation, it's horrible!

Eillack
04.19.2013 , 05:46 PM | #4
Original TOR: Even worse graphics, but strong direction.

Current TOR: Cartoon graphics, almost no direction.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Machine-Elf
04.19.2013 , 06:07 PM | #5
There are also comments re: decisions actually having an impact on gameplay.

Darth_Exar
04.19.2013 , 06:12 PM | #6
Oh dear... I'm remembering all the excitement I felt when I heard that this was going to be released...
"So this is how Liberty dies....With thunderous applause."

The Proginator

SOULCASTER
04.19.2013 , 06:12 PM | #7
I happen to catch some developer backpedaling going on in that video
Soulcaster
www.twitch.tv/CidxPvP
Come watch me log on and hit the buttons that light up!

Jemfisto
04.19.2013 , 06:26 PM | #8
Umm, this doesn't mean they needed to rework the game... they just polished up the graphics, animations, and UI. The last year is usually the polish phase of an MMO. Its a progression of how a game is made, it just doesn't start out with AAA graphics in alpha stages.

YoshiRaphElan
04.19.2013 , 06:57 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
So I was just checking out a walkthrough from the 2009 version of our favorite game and was amazed by how rudimentary everything looked. This, my friends, is the real reason why TOR cost so much money; they basically had to rework the game, almost from the ground up, in less than a year. They may have done so multiple times.

Incidentally, I want a blaster pistol that sounds like that.

Shikiru
04.19.2013 , 07:36 PM | #10
i want those female haircuts
"Death is merely the final failure of the weak."

Luniate Netra Iktomi
The Red Eclipse [EU]