Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVE gear >>>> PVP gear in PVP: SCRAP BOLSTER!!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PVE gear >>>> PVP gear in PVP: SCRAP BOLSTER!!!

Darth_Vampirius
04.19.2013 , 01:27 PM | #1
#1 ^^^^

#2 People in empty shells are next.

#3 Naked is still better than using PVP gear, even after last Tuesday's attempt.

#4 PVP gear is the least effective gear to PVP in.

This is why Bolster needs to go, especially at level 55.
Quote:
//We have seen the argument of Skill vs. Gear throughout the existence of MMO PvP and we are of the opinion both are good for an RPG, falling on one side of the scale (gear has no purpose in PvP vs. gear is the only thing that matters in PvP) is not desirable.//

Glower
04.19.2013 , 01:43 PM | #2
But this **** was fixed in 2.0.0b... Really, Bioware?
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg; Dec 2016, livestream: "RNG is exciting"
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

jgoldsack
04.19.2013 , 01:46 PM | #3
Bolster isn't the problem. It is that they added expertise into the bolster at sub-55. Honestly it isn't needed in sub-55, it worked just fine before 2.0 without expertise, especially since they removed it from the PvP gear.

At 55, bolster should be removed, and instead recruit gear needs to be added back in to start 55 PvP, which is equal to the lowest tier of 55 PvP gear, just blue, and non-augmentable.
On the Internet, you can be anything you want. It is strange so many people choose to be stupid.

http://www.swtor.com/r/ycmWN7 <-- link for some free stuff!

Darth_Vampirius
04.19.2013 , 01:49 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by jgoldsack View Post
Bolster isn't the problem. It is that they added expertise into the bolster at sub-55. Honestly it isn't needed in sub-55, it worked just fine before 2.0 without expertise, especially since they removed it from the PvP gear.

At 55, bolster should be removed, and instead recruit gear needs to be added back in to start 55 PvP, which is equal to the lowest tier of 55 PvP gear, just blue, and non-augmentable.
Oh, I see. You make some good points. BW, hire this guy!
Quote:
//We have seen the argument of Skill vs. Gear throughout the existence of MMO PvP and we are of the opinion both are good for an RPG, falling on one side of the scale (gear has no purpose in PvP vs. gear is the only thing that matters in PvP) is not desirable.//

MotorCityMan
04.19.2013 , 02:00 PM | #5
Bolster is a good mechanism and some form of it is used in WoW and many other mmos to insure some sort of balance in pvp. The range of scaling possible in pve gear progression isn't possible in pvp without a very large population of players and a finely tuned matchmaking system. Games like GW2 where pvp is emphasized, have opted for complete gear normalization. Bolster isn't needed because all gear in pvp is equal.
My suspicion is that it isn't bolster that people are objecting to so much as they wish to enjoy a statistical advantage over other players and are upset that the mindless gear grind used to achieve that end has largely been neutralized.

That being said, it's obvious the newly released bolster system needs some tweaking but Bioware has acknowledged that.

Darth_Vampirius
04.19.2013 , 02:02 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ceasaigh View Post
I am currently grinding up PvE gear to wear in place of my PvP gear. You don't need augments just a full set of 66's and you OWN in PvP 1990 exp 30K health you simply rock.
From another thread^^^
Quote:

L-RANDLE
04.19.2013 , 03:51 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Vampirius View Post
From another thread^^^
I havent spent one comm on Lvl 55 PvP gear.. Save your comms people, buy lockboxes/meds/stims til this mess is sorted out..

We do need bolster however. There has to be some baseline to somewhat equalize players engaged in PvP.

Here is a read for you... http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=627519
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

Morpurgo
04.19.2013 , 04:04 PM | #8
This new bolster is like communism.
There is a reason why communism never worked.
Cake is a lie, there is only pie. Through pie, I gain calories.
Through calories, I gain bodyfat. Through bodyfat, I gain weight.
Through weight, my social life is broken.
The Thighmaster shall free me.

Master-Nala
04.19.2013 , 04:09 PM | #9
Mend it don't end it.

Arkerus
04.19.2013 , 05:06 PM | #10
I don't mind bolster as a mechanic but the problem is this:

If you take someone in FULL PvE gear and give them "free" expertise, you are essentially giving them stats beyond their current stat allotment of their ilevel gear. Its essentially making them better by taking them beyond their ilevel.

Now take someone in Full PvP gear where the system is doing nothing for him:
He remains constrained by the ilevel of his gear. He isn't gettiing any free stats, so to speak.

The PvE player got free stats beyond his gear while the PvP players is constrained for having PvP gear at his current ilevel.

I think Bolster needs to simply erase your gear if you are not in PvP gear and replace it with some base stat.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY