Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Open letter to Eric Musco and EA

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Open letter to Eric Musco and EA

dcgregorya
04.18.2013 , 10:47 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by ParagonAX View Post
Not sure if serious.

All I did was to provide a case study / example of what another company is doing in terms of simplifying its products. Point me in the direction of any well-articulated argument, written or speech, that does not make use of an example or two?

Feeling like I'm slowly getting trolled, so will stop responding from here
It's also meaningless. Video games compared to a music player are by their definition complicated. Apple products just work? Maybe because they specialize in simple. Try using Apple products for things that are complicated and you find their limitations out very quickly.

Most importantly, PVP is not an iPhone. It's not "better" with 4 buttons. It's an appeal to authority that doesn't even matter.

dcgregorya
04.18.2013 , 10:48 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Pistols View Post
^ Lol I'll have what he's smoking.
Convincing argument there bro. Overwhelmed me with your logic.

Sweeet
04.18.2013 , 10:48 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TheronFett View Post
There is one inherent flaw in your (well constructed) post:

BioWare does what BioWare wants to do. Period.

Like a great many others here, I've been a gamer for a long time (about 12 years). I've been a beta tester for several games, including SWG, EvE Online, LOTRO, and SWTOR. Customer feedback on MMO forums is often in the form of disgruntled and uniformed whine threads, even during beta and on test servers. However, there is also often genuine and valuable feedback.

I've learned one universal truth about SWTOR, and that is that this development team places near zero value on customer feedback.

EvE Online developers and community managers post DAILY on their forums, as have devs from many other MMOs. With SWTOR, there is a huge disconnect between what the developer's vision for the game is, and what customers are wanting/willing to pay for. As such, many changes to the game equate to being blindsided by a mugger in a dark alley because the PTS is a pointless exercise in quality control. In short, while I agree with your assessment and can appreciate what you're saying...it falls on deaf ears.

It frankly blows my mind that not one, but TWO game developers have managed to screw up the best-selling franchise of all time. I used to be vocal on the beta and PTS forums. After playing beta, pre-ordering the Collector's Edition, and leveling 8 characters to 50, I unsubscribed on the eve of my 1 yr anniversary and sat on the sidelines for the last 4 months. Now, returning to check out 2.0, very little has changed and probably never will.
Very good points I'd like to add to. I think the biggest issue we have here, is the Hero Engine itself. It's such a convoluted poorly constructed engine that it massively impedes the game developers ability to competently develop in their own game. They can't seem to make any changes to it without negatively impacting some other aspect of the game.

Not to mention they had to heavily incorporate a lot of their own code into the engine itself, something I understand was extremely complex. So in the end, what we are left with is a shambles of an engine, that doesnít want to do what they tell it to without something going very wrong.

Now if I was a game developer working with tools like that on a daily basis, it would stress me out to no end and the last thing Iíd do is try to engage the player base, my job would be stressful enough already without having to deal with the idiots on these forums. Their hands are literally being tied by the tools they are using, it really is no wonder the game is suffering shamble after shamble.

This doesnít help us the consumer I know, but it is what it is, and for all the complaining we do, I really donít think there is anything even Bioware can do about it. Certainly not without redesigning the entire engine from scratch.

I think itís time for me to gracefully step away from SWTOR, I tried to come back for 2.0 and get back into the game, but itís the same old story and if they are unable to fix the engine by now, I honestly donít think itís even possible.

Oh SWTOR, we had some good times, Iíll do my best to hold on to those.

TUXs
04.18.2013 , 10:56 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by dcgregorya View Post
And yet oddly enough, my guild loves it. I've yet to see anyone talk about it in general chat or warzones, other than the nekkid bug and all I do (lately) is PVP for the most part.

Have you considered that maybe your perspective is the minority? I'm not saying I'm certain my perspective is the majority but you seem pretty confident that you're right with probably little to no data to back that up.
He posts his server, guild name and toon names, and you have the audacity to suggest he has no data, while you hide behind the anonymity of your forum handle? His claims can be very well validated or invalidated, but yours about not seeing it mentioned in General Chat yet and claiming to PvP all the time, are impossible for us to verify. Would you please give us your information as well?
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

dcgregorya
04.18.2013 , 10:57 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Sweeet View Post
Now if I was a game developer working with tools like that on a daily basis, it would stress me out to no end and the last thing Iíd do is try to engage the player base, my job would be stressful enough already without having to deal with the idiots on these forums. Their hands are literally being tied by the tools they are using, it really is no wonder the game is suffering shamble after shamble.
The people who post on these forums, the people who write the patch notes, the people who design the classes, skills and game balance...none of those people are the people writing the underlying code. Most programmers on this game probably agree with the community but they're just coders. Get a ticket, close a ticket, report a bug, escalate it to project management.

Ironically though none of that matters. In fact, these forums don't really matter. Why? Because these forums are not reality. They're only vaguely correlated to people's real opinions. What you see here is a lot of people throwing hyperbolic tantrums over every stupid thing. The majority is generally silent. If I'm Bioware the only thing I'm checking these forums for are bug reports and exploits - but I'm relying on metrics, surveys and other feedback for a picture on whether or not the community likes the game and changes to it. I'm looking at how much PVP people are doing and the quantity of PVP passes being bought. But the last thing I'm doing is making decisions based on kneejerk reactions from a dozen out of 2 million people. That's a large reason I think the OP is full of **** - because anyone who works in the software industry in a capacity for understanding sales and metrics knows everything I just said and wouldn't start offering "advice" without any information other than anecdotes.

dcgregorya
04.18.2013 , 10:59 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
He posts his server, guild name and toon names, and you have the audacity to suggest he has no data, while you hide behind the anonymity of your forum handle? His claims can be very well validated or invalidated, but yours about not seeing it mentioned in General Chat yet and claiming to PvP all the time, are impossible for us to verify. Would you please give us your information as well?
Is your IQ over 50? Because if so you should realize that the guy's guild and general chat is meaningless in a game played by 2 million people. Look up what the word anecdotal means. At least I don't have the audacity to claim to be a high paid consumer relations consultant when clearly full of ****.

TUXs
04.18.2013 , 11:00 AM | #27
Is your IQ over 50? Because if so you should realize that the guy's guild and general chat is meaningless in a game played by 2 million people. Look up what the word anecdotal means. At least I don't have the audacity to claim to be a high paid consumer relations consultant when clearly full of ****.
Post YOUR info. YOU are the one making claims, not him. I think YOU are full of ***!
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

NoTomorrow
04.18.2013 , 11:01 AM | #28
McKinsey or BCG emplyee advicing on SWTOR forums. Dude if you work in o e of these companies, haven't you learned to value your own time a nd not post on swtor forums?
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, weíre okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a ďwall bangĒ every now and then.

dcgregorya
04.18.2013 , 11:05 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Post YOUR info. YOU are the one making claims, not him. I think YOU are full of ***!
What claim am I making? I'm starting to think this guy is having his guildies post on his thread to back him up.

There's at least 3 claims in OP's thread:

1) Bolster is wildly unpopular.
2) It can currently be exploited and that causes major issues in PVP.
3) He's a high paid consumer relations consultant.

Not a single one of those statements was backed up and the entire post leads me to believe #3 is false just based on the fact that it resembles nothing like what you'd expect to get from one of said 'consumer relations consultants'.

Pistols
04.18.2013 , 11:07 AM | #30
in a game played by 2 million people.
This is where you lost all credibility.

GG