Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Open letter to Eric Musco and EA

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Open letter to Eric Musco and EA

LarryRow
04.18.2013 , 09:52 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TheronFett View Post
I've learned one universal truth about SWTOR, and that is that this development team places near zero value on customer feedback.
This. When it comes to testing, Bioware doesn't care about our opinions on class balance or related feedback, they just want us to find the bugs.

Although, the OP's suggestion that all the devs spend time reading the forums everyday would probably lead to severe depression, possible catatonia, and eventual mass suicide. Not everyone can be a world class flak-catcher like Eric Musco!
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Azarai
04.18.2013 , 09:53 AM | #12
They can polish a turd all they want to, but in the end it's still a turd That's my feelings about 2.0 for the PvP aspect in a nutshell.
Lazy - Concealment Op
Watts - DPS Sorc
ProtBot - Jugg Tank

Cretinus
04.18.2013 , 09:58 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ParagonAX View Post
Fair points. Nice sig, btw.

Not going to argue to your first two points. As for Apple though, it's not about iReligion at all. Personally, I use a whole range of products, from Mac to PC to Android to Apple to BlackBerry on a daily basis. However, anyone in the business world who doubts Apple is successful is simply delusional.
No doubts about Apple's commercial success here, but I'm assuming that you are not responsible for that success. To mention it as emphasis for your own argumentation line is a little bit of a free ride, don't you think?

This said, you do have a point or two. Not because of iReligion or Billy Gates, but because you simply have a point or two.
Cretinus again! What a great post!

ParagonAX
04.18.2013 , 10:05 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Cretinus View Post
No doubts about Apple's commercial success here, but I'm assuming that you are not responsible for that success. To mention it as emphasis for your own argumentation line is a little bit of a free ride, don't you think?

This said, you do have a point or two. Not because of iReligion or Billy Gates, but because you simply have a point or two.
Not sure if serious.

All I did was to provide a case study / example of what another company is doing in terms of simplifying its products. Point me in the direction of any well-articulated argument, written or speech, that does not make use of an example or two?

Feeling like I'm slowly getting trolled, so will stop responding from here
GM of <Triumph>

BubblŽs | Missbehavžn | Stormrayne | Firerayne | Radžance | Ggclose

The <Confirmed> Legacy

Consider supporting me and Triumph by clicking my referral link here

islander
04.18.2013 , 10:14 AM | #15
I think they do a pretty good job of late with theme #3, engaging the customer.

1 and 2? Yeah, not so much.
Gžllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Aerros
04.18.2013 , 10:18 AM | #16
All your Credibility whent out the window when you signed, "Party Time". jk

Well said
Aerros
Force Disciples
http://forcedisciples.guildlaunch.com
< 1020 / 367 >

Pistols
04.18.2013 , 10:29 AM | #17
Solid letter that I think reflects a lot what most players are thinking, only a bit more professional in the delivery.

WardenRevan
04.18.2013 , 10:33 AM | #18
Well said, especially this part.

Theme three. Engage your customers.

As a community manager, your job is, presumably, to monitor social media channels for customer feedback, and relay the feedback to your developer teams.

In many of your posts, you have stated that you will pass on issues reported by the community, or ask the developers for explanations so you can relay to the community.

But why arenít the developers engaging the community themselves?

If every single one of your design / development team spent 30 minutes each day visiting the forums and looking for feedback, would that be time wasted?

Even CEOs of retail giants visit their own stores on a constant basis to engage customers. Why canít the development team do the same?

The keyword here is engage. Simply relaying information is not enough. One post per day is not enough. Tell us what your plans are for bolster, before implementing bolster. Let us provide sincere feedback on your ideas. Let us share our ideas with you. Use the ideas from the community that are good, and integrate them into your design. More often than not, you will be surprised at the caliber of ingenuity the community can provide, because these are the people that play your game, day in and day out.

So, three small pieces of advice. Take from them what you will. I know you will read this Eric, and hope you take them seriously. I also hope you can pass along the message to the powers that be in EA.

Treat your customers with respect, and they will return in kind. Thatís not just how you build a successful game, but how you build a successful company.

dcgregorya
04.18.2013 , 10:37 AM | #19
That being said, the release of 2.0, specifically the bolster system, has been a disaster. There is no other way to phrase it. The system is broken, exploitable, and has caused the PvP community to be severely disheartened. Iím sure you can see how your customers are responding to this in a negative way, from the plethora of threads on this forum. And no, itís not just forum QQ either. Coming from the best PvP guild on my server, there has been few other topics but bolster in our Mumble, for the past week. The same could be said of general chat in fleet or in warzones, where people are confused about what is going on, and what to do.
And yet oddly enough, my guild loves it. I've yet to see anyone talk about it in general chat or warzones, other than the nekkid bug and all I do (lately) is PVP for the most part.

Have you considered that maybe your perspective is the minority? I'm not saying I'm certain my perspective is the majority but you seem pretty confident that you're right with probably little to no data to back that up.

Some other things :

"If every single one of your design / development team spent 30 minutes each day visiting the forums and looking for feedback, would that be time wasted?"

Since when do software developers have decision making capability? I highly doubt the programming staff ever decides *what* is done, they just implement.

Finally, for someone who is supposedly a consultant and professional the majority of your post is filled with debatable statements and almost nothing concrete. For one, tell me how augment slot "exploits" pose a problem? What stat differences are we talking about? Why does that matter? How is that any different than pre-bolster (where by now after a patch the community would be split between people who had max'd gear and those who didn't, for a nice 30% difference in stats)?

My take on this post is :

1) You're not a consultant or professional and your "advice" is not worth $100k.
2) You want your gear gap back and you could have said that in one sentence.
3) None of this matters, this is a manufactured dilemma and a solution to that fake dilemma. PVP is better now than it has ever been (unless you're a pyro PT I guess).

Pistols
04.18.2013 , 10:45 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by dcgregorya View Post
And yet oddly enough, my guild loves it. I've yet to see anyone talk about it in general chat or warzones, other than the nekkid bug and all I do (lately) is PVP for the most part.

Have you considered that maybe your perspective is the minority? I'm not saying I'm certain my perspective is the majority but you seem pretty confident that you're right with probably little to no data to back that up.

Some other things :

"If every single one of your design / development team spent 30 minutes each day visiting the forums and looking for feedback, would that be time wasted?"

Since when do software developers have decision making capability? I highly doubt the programming staff ever decides *what* is done, they just implement.

Finally, for someone who is supposedly a consultant and professional the majority of your post is filled with debatable statements and almost nothing concrete. For one, tell me how augment slot "exploits" pose a problem? What stat differences are we talking about? Why does that matter? How is that any different than pre-bolster (where by now after a patch the community would be split between people who had max'd gear and those who didn't, for a nice 30% difference in stats)?

My take on this post is :

1) You're not a consultant or professional and your "advice" is not worth $100k.
2) You want your gear gap back and you could have said that in one sentence.
3) None of this matters, this is a manufactured dilemma and a solution to that fake dilemma. PVP is better now than it has ever been (unless you're a pyro PT I guess).
^ Lol I'll have what he's smoking.