Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

any good republic stories?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
any good republic stories?

hallucigenocide
04.17.2013 , 04:10 PM | #11
from what i can recall i liked the trooper story.. could'nt be bothered to finish any of the others
it's typical militaristic.. the whole climbing up the ladder earning rank after rank etc
and it probably had the best act 3 out of all classes

Excise
04.21.2013 , 01:47 PM | #12
Pub side, I found JK dark side to be the most fun. You can really be an arrogant SOB, which is the only way to show emotion as a Jedi it seems.

Uvirith
04.22.2013 , 03:14 AM | #13
Actually, even the worst Imperialstory (Inqisitor) is waaay better than the best Republicstory (JK).
It saddens me deeply....
Uviryth Hammerhand, Kinetic Combat-Shadow
<Founder>

drug_cartel
04.26.2013 , 02:31 AM | #14
I've got 50s of the Imp Agent, Sith Warrior, Consular, Bounty Hunter, 2 Smugglers and 3 Troopers. Trooper is hands down my favorite story.

I'll preface this with my attitude that, especially on Republic Side, anybody who gets really up-tight about being LS or DS will miss out. The most fun character stories are always the ones where you do what you want, and you don't care what the heck the alignment or companion reactions are (good or bad). Every time you hit Esc and go back to take a differant path that is not what you initially wanted to do, you are robbing yourself of a little bit more of the story that you actually wanted. Ignore the little tabs and play your character how you want, consequences be darned.

Okay, that being said, I still feel like the Trooper was the most fun. Right from the beginning I get the feeling of being that Greeny that is just following orders. By the time I complete my squad, I feel like a real special forces unit where I'm the one giving the orders. I've played it through differant ways, from being the loyal soldier to being the "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" kill 'em all guy who joined up just to shoot folks. Even tried it as a more diplomatic female Trooper who always tried her hardest to save lives and avoid violence. Each way gave me a unique experience and made it great fun.

Perhaps only with the Sith Warrior have I felt more animosity towards my ongoing antagonist. Sure, with the Smuggler I really hated Skavek, but I never could quite get the vibe that I was afraid of Rogun or the Voidwolf. With the Consular, in comparison, I felt almost no animosity towards my enemies at all (perhaps that's because the story is written to be more calm, but I just didn't seem to care so much about fighting those guys).

With the Trooper though
Spoiler

So if you enjoyed the Imperial side of things and you want a Republic character, Trooper is my big recommendation. Non-stop fun.

Eutoxis
04.26.2013 , 06:27 AM | #15
Trooper has a good ending, IF you go Dark. The LS options for ending made me sick.

IA's ending was made of pure awesome.

Consular's was "meh," but then the entire Consular story was dishwater dull.

Smuggler's story I've hated from the beginning. I love the game mechanics (they're IA mechanics, after all), but I utterly despise everything else about the Smuggler with the sole exception of Guss Tunno.

JK looks like it will end well (still slogging through Voss with mine, and altaholism slows me down).

To sum up for OP, there might be one good republic story.

Aelaias
04.26.2013 , 06:27 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Luckeyduckey View Post
Smuggler.
He stole my ship!
Shadowlands
Letho - Vanguard
Óberyn-Guardian
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...7-5e5489ff3b47

Eutoxis
04.26.2013 , 06:37 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Aelaias View Post
He stole my ship!
HRRR TRRK MRRR SHRRRP!

Yeah, that motivation lasts for about 10 levels or so, then wears thin. I do wish someone on the writing team knew what a privateer was, so that when the Republic names me one, I could do what a privateer does. That would have been cool.

They don't, so it wasn't.

Aelaias
04.26.2013 , 12:02 PM | #18
Smuggler act 1 is excellent. It goes downhill from there before picking up again in act 3. Consular and trooper stories are pretty ok to decent and JK's is pathetic farce. So given the choices smuggler's story is the best at least as my tastes go. None are as compelling as sith warrior's which is the one empire story I completed.

As an aside, the Tuna has a hilarious line once you make it to the Axial(?) park on Corellia.
Shadowlands
Letho - Vanguard
Óberyn-Guardian
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...7-5e5489ff3b47

krakadyla
04.27.2013 , 04:59 AM | #19
Trooper story is poor man's Mass Effect trilogy. Act 1, you run around hunting the SOB who, a)wronged you, b)can make Very Bad Things happen to your motherland and retire him in the end. Act 2, you go around collecting your superbadarseful team of the most superbadarseful badarses that ever badarsed in this Galaxy, and oh, there is some sort of something else going around pretending to be a plot, I guess? Act 3, you are saving the world, or at least the part worth saving to, by running around doing some boombastic superdupermegaawesome stuff and wondering where the hell is your antagonist, because it seriously cannot be this lame guy, right?

In short, if you liked Mass Effects, second one in particular, chances are you'll like Trooper story too.

Master-Nala
04.30.2013 , 01:38 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Arutar View Post
I agree. I still would argue that a neutral or light sided empire player gets the best experience as far a roleplay is concerned, because he actually has to make tough decisions and reconcile his/her morals with his/her duty/beliefs.
I agree this is true. A light side Warrior, Agent or Inquisitor is a really fun romp. For a bounty hunter, it's just an honorable fighter, but still good. By contrast, playing a dark sider as a Jedi makes no sense, but it's actually quite interesting as a Smuggler or Trooper.

Quote:
I mean, the entire trooper story, for example, can be described by a loud "Sir, for the republic, sir!", no matter which alignment you are. (´Though an evil tropper might leave out the "Sir")
Not true at all. Troopers get thrust into bad choices regarding alignment and some really tough moral choices. Sometimes being the good soldier requires acts that are clearly evil or dishonorable. Being a light side trooper all the way often times finds you disobeying direct orders. There's is more depth to that story that you are letting on.

Quote:
It figures that while basicially all republic stories feature Imperials/Sith as the main villain (I think it is all stories, actually)
The Jedi Consular's final boss is neither Imperial nor Sith. The Smuggler only gets involved in the War in earnest after Act II.

Quote:
the Imperial stories usually have fellow Imperials/Sith has the archenemy on the backdrop of the ongoing Imp/Rep conflict. No wonder which stories feel more complex and less one-dimesional / black and white.
I don't agree this lead to greater depth. The Warrior story is superb, the Inquisitor story is absolute nonsense. The Agent is fun but don't think too hard about it. The Bounty Hunter has a choice on who his final opponent will be.