Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class Comparisons

ekimmak
04.16.2013 , 06:32 AM | #1
This is a mildly biased comparison of all the classes, advanced classes, and skill specs in the game. I'm hoping it can help people to pick what they'd like to play, but by no means am I saying this is in concrete. I'll start with the class stories.
Agent
The agent storyline seems to be a favourite for most people. Mystery, intrigue, decisions that actually matter, and a character that isn’t praised from start to finish, all seem to add up well together.
Prologue

Spoiler

Act 1
Spoiler

Act 2
Spoiler

Act 3
Spoiler

Consular
Sadly, the consular is considered the worst storyline of all. I don’t like to think in such negative terms, but I agree that it can be a little dull. A lot of this revolves around politics and diplomacy, but there are a few benefits. Seemingly pointless conversations or missions can actually be providing clues that make your later missions easier if you’ve been paying attention. This storyline does not work well with dark side characters, and male consular have a questionable romance companion.
Prologue
Spoiler

Act 1
Spoiler

Act 2
Spoiler

Act 3
Spoiler

Bounty Hunter
The bounty hunter is unfortunate. They have some interesting companions (save one, the most loathed in the game). But they have a lot less choice than advertised. It’s basically been decided that you’re going to be an empire supporter, and that you finish any major bounty you’ve been given, whether or not your character would actually make those choices. I wish light side had been more like Mira from KOTOR 2, “The good bounty hunters can bring their targets in alive”. Now, certain choices actually make killing the target more attractive (Handing people over to the huts is never a pleasant thought), and occasionally you can hoodwink your employer instead of play the contract straight. In fact, one is mandatory. But these occasions are rare, and more often than not, you kill your target. And those consequences will haunt you.
Prologue
Spoiler

Act 1
Spoiler

Act 2
Spoiler

Act 3
Spoiler

Inquisitor
I find the inquisitor storyline to be somewhat of an annoyance. On one hand, the prologue has a lot less of “You’re the best force user since sliced bread!” for the starting planet, but the story on the whole has a lot of stupid decisions, listening to people that don’t have your best interests in mind, and for someone who doesn’t have anyone telling them what to do… you certainly seem to have a lot less choice.
Prologue
Spoiler

Act 1
Spoiler

Act 2
Spoiler

Act 3
Spoiler

Knight
The other favourite storyline. I see a lot of people call this KOTOR 3, and I’ll admit, it does have it’s appeal. It’s always about the big rescue here, from saving your Jedi master to saving the planet. In fact, that comes up a lot. I do have a problem with the whole “chosen one” angle, that dominates the later half of the story, though. Yet despite that, it is a lot of fun.
Prologue
Spoiler

Act 1
Spoiler

Act 2
Spoiler

Act 3
Spoiler
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

ekimmak
04.16.2013 , 06:33 AM | #2
Smuggler
The smuggler is not a complex or intense storyline. They don’t have overly emotional moments like the Jedi Knight, or a complex and rewarding plot like the Agent. But they’re a fun storyline. You get a lot of memorable quotes from these guys, and it feels like both light and dark side choices are believable. There’s even conversations where picking the right response can skip a fight completely. Including points where you get to Shoot First. Worst thing, is that while the first act is very well done, it falls apart after that.
Prologue
Spoiler

Act 1
Spoiler

Act 2
Spoiler

Act 3
Spoiler

Trooper
The trooper class story is rather bland, to be honest. I guess if you’re interested in a military take that isn’t shrouded in secrecy, it could be enjoyable, and the prologue + first act has a lot at stake, but it fades away after that. I’ve heard people compare it to mass effect, but it doesn’t seem as entertaining.
Prologue
Spoiler

Act 1
Spoiler

Act 2
Spoiler

Act 3
Spoiler

Warrior
Last class, and last sith. The warrior is a fairly fun story. While it doesn’t have the same number of memorable moments of the smuggler, and doesn’t have any real plot twists, it’s still good. You’ve still got ‘the chosen one’ mentality of force using classes, but unlike the jedi, you can go ballistic and get away with it, and unlike the inquisitor, you start out at the top of the food chain. Even a light side juggernaut gets to enjoy bending the rules, as no one dares call you out on your ‘corruption’. You are just that tough. There also seems to be a lot of people who think are a match for you, and end up splattered all over the walls.
Prologue
Spoiler

Act 1
Spoiler

Act 2
Spoiler

Act 3
Spoiler
Spoiler

ekimmak
04.16.2013 , 06:35 AM | #3
So then. Those are all the storylines in a nutshell. I tried to avoid going into depth, but I pretty much went overboard with the parts that really stood out for me.

Later on, I'm going to look at how each AC plays, but not for a long time. When I've finished, I'll provide a (biased) take on how each spec feels to play. But that's something that'll take a few months to do. What I plan is this:
  1. Get one of each AC to 55
  2. Get them all green, crafted gear from 55
  3. Get them all HK-51 companion
  4. Run them through the Makeb Dailies, and parse it

What'll this do? Give me a mostly balanced view of each AC and spec.
The reason I'm making it green level gear, is because I want to compare them in relatively similar gear. Making it crafted stuff simplifies it a lot, and gives a good comparison.
HK-51 will be the companion I play with, because he is identical in every class, and comes with his own (relatively) good gear. Very few companions have similarities to form proper parse, and then there's the fact that out of the three types of companions (DPS, Healing, Tanking), only one of them never becomes redundant. A healing spec will kill too slowly with a healing companion, and the same for a tank spec. But with a DPS companion, you actually have to have skill. Healers need to work harder to keep them alive while keeping aggro off themselves. Tanks will need to mitigate enough that their companion kills the enemy before the enemy kills you. DPS turn it into a damage race, with the same rules as the tank.

All in all, a dps companion is a much better standard to compare than any other companion type.

Now, something I won't be looking at is PVP. Why? Because there are too many conditions to form a real judgement of the spec. How is your gear? Good? Bad? Average? How well is your enemy geared? Massively outnumbering you, or dragging behind you only slightly? How good a pvp'r are you? How good are they? Should objectives be considered, or is it just raw killing that should count?

It's way too difficult to get through all this. It's just plain easier to ignore it in this thread, and let the rest of the forums squabble over what's OP, and what's in need of buffing. And besides, it'll be hard enough to get 8 55's, 8 HK-51s, and 8 full sets of crafted gear. I really don't want to go even further for PVP comparisons that are extremely situational and narrow minded.

To be continued...
Spoiler

ekimmak
04.16.2013 , 06:36 AM | #4
*reserved for updates*
Spoiler

ekimmak
04.16.2013 , 06:37 AM | #5
*also reserved for updates* (I have no idea how long the parses and such will be)
Spoiler

Dragonahcas
04.19.2013 , 05:35 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ekimmak View Post
*also reserved for updates* (I have no idea how long the parses and such will be)
Just to let you know (since noone else has posted), I read this and it was good. Carry on...

Excise
04.21.2013 , 01:13 PM | #7
Re: Consular.

Spoiler

Excise
04.21.2013 , 01:30 PM | #8
Re: The Bounty Hunter

Spoiler

sir_star_wars
04.26.2013 , 05:19 AM | #9
Re: Trooper Story

I actually found Act I and Act III tto be amazing. The mission on Belsavis that makes no sense actually makes a lot of sense. I mean, they really couldnt defect to the Empire after killing thousands of them- perhaps they felt they had nowhere to go, so they stayed there. Idk.
You're wrong, stupid OPs. This game is amazing, it just needs work.

ekimmak
04.28.2013 , 09:42 PM | #10
Excise, Re: Consular.
Spoiler

Excise, Re: Bounty Hunter
Spoiler

sir_star_wars, re: Trooper story.
Spoiler

Re: the comparisons
It will definitely take some time before I can get full comparisons for the actual classes. The problem is mostly the stealth cunning class. My highest level of those is an operative, but she’s on a different server to the rest of my 50+ classes, so she won’t be able to gear up like them (or easily, at least). I’ll have to do some serious grinding for the cunning stealth class I have on that server, and then there’s getting crafting to 450, getting an HK-51 droid for each, and then gearing him up equally, because like an idiot, I went and used planetary comms to gear up the HK for my assassin before remembering about this.
Spoiler