Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thanks Bioware- PvP is looking better!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Thanks Bioware- PvP is looking better!

Genttry
04.16.2013 , 05:32 AM | #1
*tips hat to Bioware*

Good job on reworking pvp to engage more people. The game, as everyone knows, took a nosedive within the first 6 months- one year. Some people came back for F2P, but we still need more.

Instanced PvP is looking better than ever, regardless of the whine posts. Remember the silent majority happily plods along or quits and I think this step will help to improve the playerbase.

Reccommendations:

1- Implememnt an "arena styile" system. Classes in Swotr feel more balanced than in WoW. Even in WoW, arenas are still popular with FOTM comps. To wit, there is even an "Arena Junkie" site that still lives on, with posting limited to those who have attained the highest ratings or are previous "gladiators." I still play WoW and read and post on AJ after these many years and I still rush to gladiator ratings at the end of each season. Why? Because it is fun for me.

2- Continue to balance classes: this is a tough one, I know, because the game also contains a PvE component. Let's face it, WoW is a template regardless of how much people disagree. It retains a very successful business model for 10+ years. However, one of the issues in WoW PvP/Arenas is balancing classes because PvE is the mainstay. In this game, PvE is simply "ok", but you have a chance to develop an mmo niche now. SWTOR as an esport will bring more people back to the game. This same group of ultra-competitive people will spend money not only on subscriptions for you, but they will also buy cartel coins in order to get to level 55 faster.

3- Implement some end-game, PvP-based cartel coin rewards: some may complain about having to spend more money, but I think this is a good addition. We have valor boosts currently, but perhaps you can put your minds to it and get more creative!

4- Make healing feel more rewarding: As of right now, playing a healing class is not as rewarding or as fun as in WoW. I personally think the reason for this is that healers aren't vital. If they are vital, it is only in ranked warzones and, let's face it, the ranked warzones are a pretty small percentage of your loyal playerbase. I've been in games as both dps and heals and my experience is that PUGS could really care less about healers. There is no incentive to support healers now as it is a DPS race without peels, cc and support for our healers. Obviously, ranked/rated warzones understand the distinction between dps and healers and that playerbase covets them. In my opinion, healers should be so valuable that even the casual instanced-pvp'er should know how important it is to keep them up. I'd say the same goes for tanks, but there are so many people playing the "warrior and bounty hunter" classes that the problem isn't as drastic. Same with the other tank class. (edit: caveat- my main is a healer so I admit I am biased. At least I admit it.....)

5- Lastly, consider making SWTOR an esport: it is apparent that you sunk a lot of money into the "leveling-up" part of the game. This game is more fun to level up than any other MMO I've played, and I used to be an avid WoW, multi-class, multi-season gladiator pvp'er. Like many, I left this game after the first no-go on ranked pvp but I came back. It has been fun to level up my new toons (but at the same time frustrating to find out that i can't transfer the healer and Jugg I attained pvp rank 50+ with.)

In summary, I think you can define your market right now. Make SWTOR a more viable esport game and I would bet that your cashflow will increase. There are a lot of players that are waiting for the next MMO-esport apart from WoW (and, please note, even WoW has problems as an esport but there are coders who have recently improved how easy it is to follow tournament games as a spectator). Since the game didn't do as well as EVERYONE hoped initially, I say strike while the iron is hot! End-game PvE, while enjoyed by some players, is definitely not ground-breaking or lauded in the media as original and refreshing. You can do that with PvP though. In fact, when we all first bought the game, Bioware even announced that SWTOR would have excellent and novel world PvP and instanced PvP. That's why I bought and subscibed to begin with!

Keep moving PvP in the right direction. Thank you fpr starting to make the right moves. There may be a big backlash to this thread but these are simply suggestions from an arena-junkie and a player who immensely enjoys PvP. I love the Star Wars Universe and I love competitive pvp. The potential is great, padawans...just use the force and take heed of my yoda-like wisdom! lolo.

Genttry
04.16.2013 , 05:45 AM | #2
Bump because I'd like to hear what our pvp community says about the post...

edit: I've read a lot of threads where players state that MMOs are all about the gear grind in PvP. Historically, that may be the case based upon old, outdated models. Why not continue to break new ground for PvP? I like the boost system and liken it (as of right now with my current knowledge) to a more leveled playing field. People who want a drastic gear advantage can go camp players in lower level zones on PvP servers to get their jollies imho If those players want a distinction, why not work your rated group up to a very hig ranking. Wouldn't you want that instead of stomping casuals or under-geared players into the ground? To atain the best gear requires a lot of game-time...if you've spent that much time playing your class you probably know how to play it very well. You don't need to stomp newbs into the ground to show them how good you are. Save that for competitive-style SWTOR arenas!

Genttry
04.16.2013 , 06:00 AM | #3
100 looks and no reply so far. Hit me with your negativity, I don't care. Please make sure we can understand your writing though. I honestly want to know if anyone is hoping/waiting for at least some of the ideas I mentioned earlier. This PvP forum can definitely be more than just a cheese and whine fest. Holla, please give me an idea of where our pvp community stands on the esport issue, et al. FYI- I also support the PvE and leveling-up experience this game has to offer. I'm talking strictly about competitive PvP though, which is why my long-*** post is in this forum Thanks for your replies!

WaywardOne
04.16.2013 , 06:36 AM | #4
You think you represent the silent majority but I disagree: players need rewards and progression in both pve and pvp. @maxlevel. Without it the drive to play much goes down.

If you want a game with instanced pvp where gear doesn't matter go play GW2.

lxynl
04.16.2013 , 06:42 AM | #5
you actually think pvp is better and more balanced after 2.o? Do you even play the game?

My take on your post is its a wall of babbling bs that shows you dont grasp the problems that 2.0 created.

Quenum
04.16.2013 , 06:44 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by lxynl View Post
you actually think pvp is better and more balanced after 2.o? Do you even play the game?

My take on your post is its a wall of babbling bs that shows you dont grasp the problems that 2.0 created.
^This

RUDI
04.16.2013 , 06:45 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by lxynl View Post

op is clearly working for bw or blind fan. Pvp pre 2.0 u could use tactics to counter other player powerful attacks. Pvp now engage pop all defensive tools, try to throw all your powerful offensive skills, die, repeat. And now I see lot more baddies than before.
eko & yu-no @TOFN

Xumaximus
04.16.2013 , 08:01 AM | #8
Totally agree with the op!! PvP is amazing now and no I don't work for EA or BW....gone are the days of just gear stats get over it you are going to have to learn your class no ways around it .....as it should be!

Exzileforgotten
04.16.2013 , 08:03 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by WaywardOne View Post
You think you represent the silent majority but I disagree: players need rewards and progression in both pve and pvp. @maxlevel. Without it the drive to play much goes down.

If you want a game with instanced pvp where gear doesn't matter go play GW2.

Hehe ya but gw2 pvp was largely a failure after people got bored of nothing to aim for. ^.^

Genttry
04.18.2013 , 02:12 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by RUDI View Post
op is clearly working for bw or blind fan. Pvp pre 2.0 u could use tactics to counter other player powerful attacks. Pvp now engage pop all defensive tools, try to throw all your powerful offensive skills, die, repeat. And now I see lot more baddies than before.
Lolo I don't work for Bioware. I appreciate your post, although it is more of the same flaming blah blah blah. The game pre-2.0 was actually pop all cooldowns. As far as "baddies", I'm not sure what you mean. People who aren't as good as you? I assume you aren't a baddie since you refer to "them", excluding you. In my experience, baddies are really just casual players or players who don't take pvp seriously as in set key binds, learn how all classes work, etc. They are in every MMO that I've played. They are also a very important part of the comunity and a large reason why we continue to have SWTOR as a game!

Sorry you don't like the game post 2.0. I did give GW2 a try and didn't really like it. I still can't put my finger on exactly why, but I think part of it is the fluidity of combat mechanics. Regardless of your snarky attitude, *tips hat* for taking the time to post a reply. Thank you. I personally enjoy the bolster system. Bugs aside, I think it brings us closer to a level playing field which is what I think at least some hard-core pvp'ers are after. I'm still looking for a reasoned response for or against my original post. Thanks!

edit: Waywardone, thanks. You at least point to the "time-spent" reward sytem a la WoW as a refute. I still like being able to log on without spending countless hours and retain at least a modicum of a level-playing field based upon how well you play your given class and how well you understand how other classes work. Thanks Waywardone