Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWG Revive?

Hazaz
04.07.2013 , 06:25 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Skyrison View Post
Shouldn't this belong on a SWG love thread? IF it ever happened at least make it so they fix those HORRIBLE animations. Especially of the running one. YUCK
Righto. Hate that run! Rather play a game with space-on-rails, and a rat-n-cheese approach to planet design. The run is everything!!!
Friends don't let friends drink and forum post!

DeviantArt
HazazartSWTOR

Totaltrash
04.07.2013 , 06:27 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Wooker View Post
Question. If now lucas arts closed and are licencing star wars games could sony bring back swg? It might cost money but, a kickstarter could work. Please post your ideas (i'm not hating or dissing swtor just want it back)
Lucas Arts and all its intellectual properties, including Star Wars, was sold to Disney.
Disney now owns the rights and collects the royalties from the licenses, including the one for SWTOR.

Bioware obtained a license for Star Wars from Lucas Arts.
EA owns Bioware and thereby owns SWTOR.
Now EA pays royalties for the Star Wars trademark to Disney.

Because of its huge popularity and marketing value, Star Wars is the most lucrative license to hold. Hence, it's royalties are the most exorbitant. The cost of the license for SWG was approximately 35% of their total revenue. While I do not know the numbers, I'm certain that EA's license for SWTOR is in the same ballpark.

To be successful with that kind of license price tag, a game needs to attract a huge number of paying customers. And this is exactly the reason why the financial world considers SWTOR a failure - the game was unable to attract and keep the large numbers of subscribers needed to return a profit. Even with the F2P Cartel Market, SWTOR is barely profitable now and only a very small part of EA's portfolio.

Most licenses have non-competition clauses in them. In other words, Disney is excluded from issuing the same license to another MMO (or making one themselves) while the license with EA is still active. SWG is similar enough to SWTOR to be covered by such a clause.

Most licenses have expiration dates. While I have no way to confirm this, EA's license is said to run for 3 years. After that time, EA has to decide if it makes economic sense to renew it or if it is better to close SWTOR down.
Time will tell.

Overall, the gaming industry is trying to move away from licensing agreements in general because they are simply too expensive to maintain.

So, to answer the OP's question - no, not any time soon and probably not ever will we see a revival of SWG.

Callaron
04.07.2013 , 06:30 PM | #23
I'm also gonna go with, very unlikely.
It might not be the answer you were looking for, OP - but that's the one I think you are most likely to get. =/
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

TheNahash
04.07.2013 , 06:30 PM | #24
SWG closed down not (just) because of SWTOR.
No matter how SWG fans try to spin it, it wasn't exactly as if the subscribers were rolling in by the millions. The game was pretty much dead. This doesn't mean it was not a good game etc. but it was, for all intents and purposes, dead.

Kickstarting it wouldn't make a difference. How much money would it need for licensing? And how about maintaining it? In today's market that's awful for subscription-based MMOs how lucrative would a 2003 game be compared to today's games? A few thousand fans (even 100k fans) can't save it.

Be realistic people. Move on or go support the SWGEmu.

Levity
04.07.2013 , 06:30 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
Lucas Arts and all its intellectual properties, including Star Wars, was sold to Disney.
Disney now owns the rights and collects the royalties from the licenses, including the one for SWTOR.

Bioware obtained a license for Star Wars from Lucas Arts.
EA owns Bioware and thereby owns SWTOR.
Now EA pays royalties for the Star Wars trademark to Disney.

Because of its huge popularity and marketing value, Star Wars is the most lucrative license to hold. Hence, it's royalties are the most exorbitant. The cost of the license for SWG was approximately 35% of their total revenue. While I do not know the numbers, I'm certain that EA's license for SWTOR is in the same ballpark.

To be successful with that kind of license price tag, a game needs to attract a huge number of paying customers. And this is exactly the reason why the financial world considers SWTOR a failure - the game was unable to attract and keep the large numbers of subscribers needed to return a profit. Even with the F2P Cartel Market, SWTOR is barely profitable now and only a very small part of EA's portfolio.

Most licenses have non-competition clauses in them. In other words, Disney is excluded from issuing the same license to another MMO (or making one themselves) while the license with EA is still active. SWG is similar enough to SWTOR to be covered by such a clause.

Most licenses have expiration dates. While I have no way to confirm this, EA's license is said to run for 3 years. After that time, EA has to decide if it makes economic sense to renew it or if it is better to close SWTOR down.
Time will tell.

Overall, the gaming industry is trying to move away from licensing agreements in general because they are simply too expensive to maintain.

So, to answer the OP's question - no, not any time soon and probably not ever will we see a revival of SWG.
lol assumptions much? I'm pretty sure there's a lot of legit sources that put SWTOR in the top5 on EA's revenue list.

theUndead
04.07.2013 , 06:37 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Hazaz View Post
I like how you call yourself "people".
Oh please you know exactly what he meant. The fact is this should be over at the SWG forums. Not here. Two different games. Two different sets of fans. But really don't go belittling just because we don't share your opinions.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

Hazaz
04.07.2013 , 06:45 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
Oh please you know exactly what he meant. The fact is this should be over at the SWG forums. Not here. Two different games. Two different sets of fans. But really don't go belittling just because we don't share your opinions.
I don/t know exactly what he meant. He meant to pretend that he speaks for a whole host of people (tens? hundreds? thousands?! More?!?!!?), and you imagine typing "we" makes you the voice of unheard masses. You imagine attacking somebody with plurals makes your need to denigrate somebody else' enthusiasms' more valid.

You speak for you. I speak for me, and echoing OP's vaguely worded interest in this possibility (however unlikely) is a valid point. Voicing that interest, and an interest in the discussion on a game we forum we actually play, rather than one we don't, is not irrelevant.

Just because you think it, does not make your musings inherently logical.
Friends don't let friends drink and forum post!

DeviantArt
HazazartSWTOR

Vandicus
04.07.2013 , 06:53 PM | #28
SOE, per their own statement, decided not to renew the license, probably because it was not possible to pay for the license with less than 25k accounts. Unless given some reason to believe that re-opening a now even more outdated MMO will suddenly bring in hundred of thousands of players, SOE is not likely to be willing to pay for the Star Wars license.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

BJWyler
04.07.2013 , 07:12 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Levity View Post
lol assumptions much? I'm pretty sure there's a lot of legit sources that put SWTOR in the top5 on EA's revenue list.
Indeed, in their last investor call, SWTOR was one of the two biggest sources of income for the quarter as I recall.

And as others mentioned - this is a SWTOR forum. Discussions on SWG should be taken elsewhere, such as:

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.j...art=0&tstart=0
Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

Wretched Hive Recap The premier SWTOR Forum Discussion Show

Totaltrash
04.07.2013 , 07:14 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Levity View Post
Read before you comment.
The only assumption I made was that we will never see SWG revived - that's a pretty safe bet, imo.

The financial world is in agreement - SWTOR was and remains a failure. Even EA has admitted as much.
I suggest you study Forbes, Motley Fool, Wallstreet Journal, International Business Times, etc - lots of good articles out there.