Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Improve finder With a dam ETA timer plz

Hylentor
04.05.2013 , 10:34 AM | #21
Yes, a number would be nice. I don't care too much on my healer or tank, but my marauder... the wait gets to be irritating frequently. I could start getting a good ballpark of eta vs. time of day with just the "how many are ahead of me?"

The problem isn't so much that I need gear (mara's almost fully optimized BH... which is great for another coupld days O_o), its that I actually LIKE running Flashpoints, and I like playing the marauder.... and there are only so many dailies to run through and so much time in the day (especially when you're also trying to gear up your tank).

chimex
04.05.2013 , 10:41 AM | #22
Some kind of timer, or player counter would be a great idea. Also, I would love it if you can invite people (or be invited) with the group finder still ticking. Of course, speeding up the process a little more. It's annoying having to leave the finder, be invited/invite then rejoin from the bottom.
The Progenitor (RP): Shazmi:<Crimson Moon>

DawnAskham
04.05.2013 , 01:06 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Logisitcs View Post
I'm not trying to troll or anything like that but...

Why is this still not X-server yet?
Because the silly devs didn't even think a group finder was needed any more than servers supporting large populations were needed.

They seem to be slowly shifting their mind set and acknowledging their mistakes, but it still seems they have these outdated notions about good game design and don't fully grasp the importance of robust social and grouping tools.

Also there are way too many shrills on the forums who will create endless 'the sky is falling - my server community will be destroyed' threads if they were to state cross server GF was coming soon.

And to the OP, i think we don't have an estimated wait for GF because the devs can't figure out how to estimate one.

Kitru
04.05.2013 , 01:11 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by DonkeyGobbler View Post
That system sounds perfect (and fair - given the supply and demand) if the playerbase used it in the spirit it was meant in. I suspect you're right though. Imagine, after being in GF for an hour you're stuck with a "tank" in DPS gear who has simply changed his stance so he can get more loot and an instant pop from the queue. The forum servers would be in meltdown!
The question would be how much more often would those occasions be than currently occur. Yes, you might get some DPS that queue up as a tank to get bonus loot but, if said loot is only given if/when you *finish* the FP (which is how WoW did it), it would prevent people from going in with the wrong spec/gear to some extent (since, if you're short a tank and the guy you get *isn't* tank spec or gear, you're not going to finish). Probably the biggest impetus would be providing a specific additional benefit to get people that *can* tank to *start* tanking (such as those people that could tank but are afraid to for whatever reason; additional reward would shift the risk:reward slightly in their favor).

The bigger problem, as I see it, from a developmental standpoint, is determining whether it would have a real, lasting effect upon the queuing role ratio. If the ratio remains the same regardless of changes (for example, if it ends up that the increased queuing of tanks and healers simply encourages the same proportion of DPS to become active queuers, the ratio would remain the same and the queue times would be largely the same). If the system is just as likely to cause *no* improvement to the queue, the system would just give extra loot to tanks and healers without really benefiting the DPS at all (which is a bit unfair since said tanks and healers are already benefiting from short queue times).

It's a question of determining what the devs can do to actually do to impact the activity ratio of given roles in the long term, and most of the solutions that can be come up with are low confidence at best. Unless you design the game itself around a ratio of roles that closely represents what is actually played (which would require significant ability to predict player behavior and role choices before said players have gotten to *make* said choices), you're always going to have problems like this.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

mikebevo
04.05.2013 , 01:28 PM | #25
I really don't get it...On my healers I have instant pop most of the time, if not 5 mins is usually about the max. On DPS, I go do BH dailies and it usually pops durning them, So less than 20 mins. There is a sweat time to que for HM FP on the server I am on. If I que early it takes 30 mins or longer and if I que late if takes forever, but durning that 2 hour window thing run pretty fast.

If it takes too long I look at friends list and guild members.

RandomXChance
04.05.2013 , 02:34 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
Because the silly devs didn't even think a group finder was needed any more than servers supporting large populations were needed.

They seem to be slowly shifting their mind set and acknowledging their mistakes, but it still seems they have these outdated notions about good game design and don't fully grasp the importance of robust social and grouping tools.

Also there are way too many shrills on the forums who will create endless 'the sky is falling - my server community will be destroyed' threads if they were to state cross server GF was coming soon.

And to the OP, i think we don't have an estimated wait for GF because the devs can't figure out how to estimate one.
Perhaps you could name this sever that has a surplus of tanks and healers waiting around for DPS to queue? Putting in a cross server GF so these people could group with me would be awesome!

Several people have stated good reasons why cross server GF would solve absolutely nothing and possibly create new problems and your counter argument is to name call and make fun of. Well thought out and effective reasoning on your part.

I have met many of my in game friends when doing GF Ops and flashpoints. If its was cross server how would this be a part of "the importance of robust social and grouping tools" if I can not friend them and get together outside of a FP speed run?

NrDLeipe
04.06.2013 , 12:17 AM | #27
cross server wont solve a thing the ratio tank, heals, dps will stay the same maybe even worrse for dps more ppl to compete with.

What can help is show a bit more appriciation towards heals and tanks, show them some love so they will que sooner .
Stick to your roles dps, dont pull before tanks,give them some time.( as a tank i dont mind those kind of dps, if you pull you tank and often healer understands this and wont heal so you die, so you wont pull again )
Stop qqing if heals or tank screw a pull or what so ever, mistakes happen no need to go rage and go all kingkong in the grp ( repair aint that high ).

Give them a reason to que more often, guide them if they still learning ( fresh 50s ) give them a nice experience and they will return, give them no reason to ignore you so you can still end up in a grp with them again in the future.
The wrath of the empire knows no bounds

zzoorrzz
04.06.2013 , 10:36 AM | #28
I don't need to see time, but I would certainly appreaciate if I could see how many players of my role are ahead of me, it would be very helpful.

Jossajus
04.07.2013 , 03:28 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by NrDLeipe View Post
cross server wont solve a thing the ratio tank, heals, dps will stay the same maybe even worrse for dps more ppl to compete with.

What can help is show a bit more appriciation towards heals and tanks, show them some love so they will que sooner .
Stick to your roles dps, dont pull before tanks,give them some time.( as a tank i dont mind those kind of dps, if you pull you tank and often healer understands this and wont heal so you die, so you wont pull again )
Stop qqing if heals or tank screw a pull or what so ever, mistakes happen no need to go rage and go all kingkong in the grp ( repair aint that high ).

Give them a reason to que more often, guide them if they still learning ( fresh 50s ) give them a nice experience and they will return, give them no reason to ignore you so you can still end up in a grp with them again in the future.
This. Tanks are the most criticized and under appreciated role in the game, mostly because if a tank messes up, you wipe. (The same can be said of healers, but for some reason Healers don't mess up that often that I've seen). If you have a bad DPS, they just extend the FP's length, and a lot of times it's hard to tell if a DPS is bad (esp for Maras/Sents that are Carnage/Combat specced. They're so bursty that it may seem like they suck, but then they burst and you're like "Oooohhh, you're actually decent".)

Furthermore, i usually don't walk away with any usable gear. Everyone and their brother rolls a sentinel, all of whom are competing with me for that end of raid gear piece for ( that doesn't always drop ). Furthermore, DPS seem the most prone to ninja looting and being rude. So watching that Columi drop go to the dick who didn't follow kill order and broke CC the entire time just pisses me off. Put it all together and I get more creds from dailies, more commendations from Section X, and more enjoyability from rolling an alt. If DPS really wanted to shorten their queue time, then don't act like a jerk and I might requeue. Heck, if you're polite I might requeue WITH YOU and you get the fruits of short queue times.

DarknessInLight
04.07.2013 , 08:59 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by tamaska View Post
they need to add the waiting time on the Finder because it saves waiting soooooooo long when you don't even know the ETA would help BIG TIME
How can you have an ETA when the true problem is twofold:

1. DPS are a dime a dozen. So few tanks and even fewer healers populate the servers these days and those that are on the server are not queuing for HMFP's because they are geared beyond them.

2. So many DPS(not all) end up ignored because of behavior during FP's or even on the fleet or running other material in game. DPS players need Tanks. They need Healers. Tanks and Healers can just queue and get a couple of DPS. Once you start showing up on everyone's ignore list, your game is pretty much over.
Jedi do not fight for Peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading, as slogans always are. Jedi fight for Civilization, because only Civilization creates Peace. - Jedi Master Mace Windu