Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Idea for a boss in a new operation

paowee
04.03.2013 , 03:58 PM | #1
Edited: April 9, 2012
An encounter or boss fight in an operation that plays like "defend the base" or "tower defense" where the raid is holed up in an area and needs to defend an NPC or cap point from an incoming swarm of enemies.

wave 1: medium group of gold mobs
wave 2: large group of gold mobs
wave 3: small group of champions
wave 4: medium group of gold mobs + small group of champions
wave 5: large group of gold mobs + medium group of champions
wave 6: large group of gold mobs + large group of champions
wave 7: large group of gold + large group of champions + small group of silver mobs
wave 8: large group of gold + large group of champions + large group of silver mobs
wave 9: mini boss
wave 10: boss

The mobs or waves can have a unique mechanic or ability tied to them. for example there can be:

Gold mobs
- fast hitting mobs with low damage
- slow hitting mobs with medium damage
- mobs that jump around
- immune to taunt
- mobs that need to be kited indefinitely till withered down
- a huge wave of mobs (reinforcements) that comes at a separate angle and must be kited away till withered down

Champion mobs
- long casting ability that deals huge damage when not killed fast enough
- requires taunt switches
- puts a stacking debuff, not healable at full stacks
- can 2 shot tank and needs to be kited till withered down
- mobs that teleport when taunted
- immune to ranged attacks-must be melee'd, immune to melee-must be ranged down
- immune to tech attacks-must use force abilities; immune to force abilities-must use tech attacks
- if killed when holding a bomb, will explode and knock the raid 10m back but deals huge non fatal damage
- if killed when disarmed, will explode and knock the raid 60m back but deals considerably less damage
- if killed within 1 second of each other, grants the raid Orbital bombardment for use in next wave
- if killed within 30 seconds of each other, grants raid supply depots for the next wave that heals over time
- if successfully kited without the champion mob dealing damage to any player, it will defect to your cause fighting for you in the next wave.

Mini boss
Boss

- ill leave this one to the creativity of the dev. team!

Lore-wise, i'm sure the dev. team has got this part covered, but some fun ideas would be, a continuation of Directive-7 flashpoint. The encounter can be for final boss "Mentor" where he sends droid minions, followed by large vehicle droid minions and then the next wave with cyborgs and the strongest wave comprising of vehicle type humanoid cyborgs. The mentor himself can come in the form of a modified full size AT-AT painted in green (his motiff in the Directive 7 final boss encounter) What do you guys think?

Epic Feel:
Quality of adds: If you recall the mobs inside the tunnel from writhing horror to dread guard council, that is an example of mob HP you would not want to have in this kind of operation. They simply die too fast and do not give an epic feel.

# of adds: This is the intent of the operation i tried to describe above. An epic feel that can be attained by winning an epic battle by fighting of epic numbers of enemies. For this reason, the smallest group of mobs could be comprised of at least 8-10 mobs a number that reflects how many a tank can ideally keep aggro on at a time without AoE taunts:

Crushing blow hits 1 main target plus 4 targets.
Same with Assassin's Wither and i think PTs (do not have one) are pretty good in the AoE dept as well.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

Eshmael
04.03.2013 , 05:40 PM | #2
Looks good to me =)

I am dreaming of an op boss fight in wich at least one (better two) players have to do a spacecombat.
And the better they perform the lesser adds spawn for the rest in the bossfight.

That would truely bring SW feeling... =)

AshlaBoga
04.03.2013 , 05:59 PM | #3
Suggestions:

Give the silver/strong mods a special ability (like the adds in the final phase of the Dread Guard fight that cast Mass Affliction). If they don't have a special ability then they're just dps fodder.

Also, maybe add a component (like a dissapearing platform) that forces you to move after all npcs in a mob are dead, between phase 4 and 5 and phase 7 and 8 times seems like a good time to force the Raid to run.

Also, maybe an environment component like in the Operator IX fight to keep it feeling fast paced.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

paowee
04.03.2013 , 06:08 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
Suggestions:

Give the silver/strong mods a special ability (like the adds in the final phase of the Dread Guard fight that cast Mass Affliction). If they don't have a special ability then they're just dps fodder.

Also, maybe add a component (like a dissapearing platform) that forces you to move after all npcs in a mob are dead, between phase 4 and 5 and phase 7 and 8 times seems like a good time to force the Raid to run.

Also, maybe an environment component like in the Operator IX fight to keep it feeling fast paced.
Nice ideas! I mainly wanted to focus on the idea of a "defend the base" type of encounter where where your team fends off a seemingly endless wave of mobs (gives an epic feeling)

"They're coming! Get ready men!" http://www.gamegrunt.com/images/wall...x1200_hoth.jpg

paowee
04.06.2013 , 01:50 PM | #5
not such a good idea for an encounter?

axka
04.08.2013 , 02:02 AM | #6
Just bumping Nice ideas, good to see the community share ideas and thoughts on how to improve the game. That's how games evolve. BW Cannot improve the game without your help

I hope your final boss would be an insanly huge giant A** B******. I Love fighting these overwhelmingly, big, giants.

KeyboardNinja
04.08.2013 , 11:48 AM | #7
So…the turret boss in Kaon? Or Colicoid? Or Torvix? :-) I guess those bosses would be more fun if they lasted longer (in the case of Torvix), had more mechanics and no turrets. In any case, it certainly isn't a boss type that's been done in a TOR operation before, so it would add some nice variety.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Streaming Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

paowee
04.08.2013 , 01:45 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
So…the turret boss in Kaon? Or Colicoid? Or Torvix? :-) I guess those bosses would be more fun if they lasted longer (in the case of Torvix), had more mechanics and no turrets. In any case, it certainly isn't a boss type that's been done in a TOR operation before, so it would add some nice variety.
Yes now that you mentioned it those instances are exactly like this one i am suggesting.. I think the most fun of the three would be rakghoul, but they all lack an epic feel. Probably because they are instances and you do not have gigantic mobs and a several dozen swams of mobs running at you.

For that operation I was thinking more along the lines of... at least 8 gold type mobs for the smallest group >_<.
The medium sized groups will probably need coordinating of AoE taunts, while the largest group will need a 2 tanks both with AoE taunts AND dedicated rdps or a mobile healer to keep aggro while kiting them around a huge area or across obstacles / ledges. Definitely something more epic as compared to Colicoid or Torvix or KUS.

Only the smallest group of gold mobs can be "tank and spanked" and will serve as the breather in between the larger mix and matched groups that will NEED some sort of strategy to get past through (in the form of AoE taunts, single taunts, swaps and ranged kiting, mob immunity phases, etc).

Spoiler

KeyboardNinja
04.08.2013 , 03:32 PM | #9
I think bringing in the Tower Defense concept would be really cool. Basically, this could be a puzzle boss for an operation, requiring careful choice of positioning and sub-group composition, as well as precise execution at the defense points.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Streaming Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

JimmyTheCannon
04.08.2013 , 04:12 PM | #10
I don't like the "immune to ranged/melee/tech/force" idea. No encounter should require specific classes. Archetypes yes, classes no - anything that makes a specific player useless is a bad idea.