Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

People not properly playing their roles

PaniMauser
04.05.2013 , 08:02 AM | #21
The problem is not so much people, but Group Finder itself. It allows to queue for double roles (if class supports them), but never checks, if the person has the field respec or the proper set of gear in their inventory (in case of tanks, heals can do with dps gear more or less).

And if system allows something, people will abuse it, no way around it, same with current need/greed. Queues pop for heals/tanks faster and longer for dps? Let's queue for double roles and hope people won't kick wrong spec out.

And even aside from jerks who queue for wrong role deliberately, many people never check off wrong roles in GF (don't know how, or just forget to fo it) and use default settings thus ending up in the wrong role. Also, GF bugs out sometimes and resets your settings to defaults, and some people do not even notice it until group starts complaining. And then you go "oh shi!" (had that happening to me, but every time I ended up as a tank due to a bug, I apologized and left the group. Most times I was able to catch it, though, and decline invite just in time).

Slaysman
04.05.2013 , 08:09 AM | #22
I am new to the whole MMO thing. Old Republic is the first one I have ever played. Fortunately I was lucky enough to learn how to perform a role as i did flashpoints in the campaign. The big issue is I believe people do not want to ask questions for fear of looking foolish.

Takoy
04.05.2013 , 08:09 AM | #23
To be honest, the reason I rather not do Heroics or Flashpoints is because I'm worried I'll drag others down.
I do okay with the solo-content, even some of the easier heroics. But as soon as it gets harder I have trouble, mainly because I don't really fully understand the mechanics and I'm lousy at tactics.

I prefer the Healer or DPS role but apart from 'one heals, the other attacks fast' I have no idea what it entails. So, long story short. I'm aware of my shortcomings, realise I'm probably never really going to 'get it' so I don't drag others down because of it.

Do I miss a lot of content this way? Yes. Do I miss a lot of loot and exp? Definitely. Do I also miss a lot of anger directed my way for not understanding something? That also but not everyone yells luckily.

pmalygris
04.05.2013 , 08:40 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
Healer is fun to actually play properly. If you know what you're doing, you can also attack a little.
What you really mean is if the tank knows what hes doing. I have to say, most tanks do. (Ed).
Aggro control can let me heal, bubble, attack and even take a sip of water!
Bad aggro control just makes it very expensive to repair all that armor.
"There are two great forces in this world - good and evil; and no man is worth his salt unless he has lost and won battle for a principle."
- P. Gouthey

Lycor
04.05.2013 , 10:15 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by pmalygris View Post
What you really mean is if the tank knows what hes doing. I have to say, most tanks do. (Ed).
Aggro control can let me heal, bubble, attack and even take a sip of water!
Bad aggro control just makes it very expensive to repair all that armor.
Both right

I'm playing as a healer now, after a few months of DPSing and I'm loving it.
Usually I can DPS a little too, since I'm not always healing, but some FPs are healing intensive even if people know what they're doing (like lost island).

But, now that I'm healing, there's one thing that bugs me: why do some people insist on going from fight to fight without healing all the way, first? Or worst, sometimes they don't even wait for the other players.

Hylentor
04.05.2013 , 10:17 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by grrrly View Post
And some people just really aren't very nice, and don't play their roles because they can't be bothered. I've been lumbered with a few unpleasant people in PUGs but a healer who ran ahead of the group the whole time and refused to heal was quite memorable. As the only stealth class, she was able to slip past a lot of enemies, which would be fine if she didn't leave us behind to fight them without heals. It was made clear to us that our time spent fighting the unskippable enemies was a great annoyance to her. Anyway, we were surviving OK other than one DPS death, and as it was one of the quicker HMs we just kept going. We did wonder if she thought she had been put in a DPS role by group finder, but as she wasn't DPSing either, it's not very likely! The whole thing didn't end well, with her becoming verbally abusive when we died during the final boss fight. We completed the flashpoint without her.
Wow. I tend to be very patient with people (if 3 of us know what we're doing, we can compensate for one idiot pulling before the tank, etc.), but Id've initiated a vote kick after the 2nd pack or so of that happening.

I tend to find less idiot healers than other types, but they obviously exist...

jedimasterjac
04.05.2013 , 10:19 AM | #27
Well, I ran Red Reaper on my 45 Vanguard, as tank, and we all know running it pre-50 can be a bit difficult. But, we had 2 50's, and ran through it pretty well. However, our Commando Healer was DPS'ing a lot more than he healed. I would get down to 30% health or so before he hit me with a single heal, and I know I was in range of him. I know it's rediculous to expect him to keep me at 100% health, but he didn't heal the DPS's either, so he had to be DPS'ing himself.
Quote: Originally Posted by Atticus Finch
“Courage is not a man with a gun in his hand. It's knowing you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.”

Hylentor
04.05.2013 , 10:21 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Lycor View Post
Both right

I'm playing as a healer now, after a few months of DPSing and I'm loving it.
Usually I can DPS a little too, since I'm not always healing, but some FPs are healing intensive even if people know what they're doing (like lost island).

But, now that I'm healing, there's one thing that bugs me: why do some people insist on going from fight to fight without healing all the way, first? Or worst, sometimes they don't even wait for the other players.

Let me know if you figure it out... My main's a healer and I've been wondering about that since day one - "dude! hit your seethe already!" Maybe it comes from wow. habits? (I'm sure someone more familiar with that one could tell...)

Lycor
04.05.2013 , 10:26 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Hylentor View Post
Let me know if you figure it out... My main's a healer and I've been wondering about that since day one - "dude! hit your seethe already!" Maybe it comes from wow. habits? (I'm sure someone more familiar with that one could tell...)
I never played WOW, so I don't know, but it's strange. After the first time I see that, I usually write on the chat to "wait for everybody before attacking, please" or "please heal up all the way before a fight". And it usually does the trick

But I have to confess I was a bit mean to a player some days ago. He was doing it, so I let him die 2 times (still costs credits...muahahah...punishment...lol) and then I wrote on the chat, after he complained.

mikebevo
04.05.2013 , 10:54 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
Well, I ran Red Reaper on my 45 Vanguard, as tank, and we all know running it pre-50 can be a bit difficult. But, we had 2 50's, and ran through it pretty well. However, our Commando Healer was DPS'ing a lot more than he healed. I would get down to 30% health or so before he hit me with a single heal, and I know I was in range of him. I know it's rediculous to expect him to keep me at 100% health, but he didn't heal the DPS's either, so he had to be DPS'ing himself.
Did you or anyone in you group die? If not the healer did his/her job.

If the healer was a 50 with any type of gear, one big heal will over fill most level 45 toons. I know I most likely do it wrong, I like to keep everyone at as close to 100% as possible. I don't want them to worry about anything but tanking and dps, but really in most HMFP I can out dps the dps with my gear now.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lycor View Post
They figure the healer will top them off. Which long before a healer get full 63 becomes extremely easy to do in any HMFP including HMLI, however that does not help new inexperience healers when they get these people in their goup. I have seen people jump into new mob and even a boss fight at 50% health while I was playing dps. I just whispered the fresh 50 healer not to worry about it. If the idiot thought 50% health was enough, just worry about keeping them at 50%.

When I am healing, I don't care if people never heal out of combat, but when I was a fresh 50 with no clue how to manage energy, it was a pain. On dps I consider it my responsibility to maintain my health. I will jump into fights I know at 60% and above health, if I have a cooldown up or a medpac ready, if I screw up there I know it is not the healer fault.