People not properly playing their roles

I've ran across this many times and tonight I was running a hm and we had a commando healer who was just healing himself and let both me(dps) and the tank die 2 or 3 times before I called him out on it and left the group. I called him out on it and he immediately starts raging telling me that it's my fault, that I was on the wrong side of the mob, I was too close etc etc. Yet he didn't attempt to heal even the tank at least once only himself.

Why is it so hard for people to do their simple job properly and if you proceed to call them out on it it's your fault especially if you play dps. Does anyone else experience this?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very rarely run into people who are just abysmally bad at their given spec. Now having said that, of the people whom I have ran into that are completely beyond help as far as playing roles properly, it's almost always a DPS that queued as a healer or a tank thinking that they could do a passable job. Don't get me wrong, I've done it. But I also have field respec on those characters and actually swap roles fairly often so I'm not queuing for a hard mode and trying to tank/heal for the first time.

I've once ran sm Taral V with a guardian that was dps specced and at some point of the run even changed to a dps lighsaber form (changed back to soresu when I commented about it, tough). Also, I few days ago, I ran hammer station with a dps who said that before this run, he had a run where they had to kick 3 healers out of the group for not healing at all. I mean, how is this even happening? Don't people know how to use groupfinder or do they just prefer wipes to longer queue times?

I hate it when that happens... my first 50 was a pure healer merc. I ALWAYS healed in HM FP's. Never once did i DPS unless i was the last one up. As my new 50 Vanguard Tank im a pure tank. My only job is tanking. so i need to stick to that. I want to petition for an IQ test at sign up and if you fail the IQ test you cant get an account for the game because your too stupid to play.

I've once ran sm Taral V with a guardian that was dps specced and at some point of the run even changed to a dps lighsaber form (changed back to soresu when I commented about it, tough). Also, I few days ago, I ran hammer station with a dps who said that before this run, he had a run where they had to kick 3 healers out of the group for not healing at all. I mean, how is this even happening? Don't people know how to use groupfinder or do they just prefer wipes to longer queue times?

One common issue is that a given advanced class can fill two roles and when the person queues in group finder, they do not bother to check or confirm that their desired role is checked and the one they do not want is unchecked. So, someone is normally a DPS, queues as a healer (or tank) as well as DPS, gets into the group as a healer (or tank) and does not realize it until it is "too late." Or they do realize it and dread re-queuing so they try to tough it out...usually with bad results.

Another possible explanation is that early in the leveling process spec and role do not necessarily have to match - you can be a merc bh pyro spec and still heal SM FPs easily up to and through the foundry (I know because I did it on several occasions). Players new to MMOs make the false assumption that this pattern applies forever when it does not.

As a new player I learned one thing. Healer is everything in the group. I played FP : Hammer with a group and wiped out 3 times in the end boss. Then our healer said he will go to bed and we found another one. We beat the boss so easy, it was unreal. I think the problem with the healer role is, it is really boring to play properly., that is why all the issues.

As a new player I learned one thing. Healer is everything in the group. I played FP : Hammer with a group and wiped out 3 times in the end boss. Then our healer said he will go to bed and we found another one. We beat the boss so easy, it was unreal. I think the problem with the healer role is, it is really boring to play properly., that is why all the issues.

Healer is fun to actually play properly. If you know what you're doing, you can also attack a little.

Oh, I'll go one better. How about a Guardian tank that is not only spec'd wrong(Willpower over Endurance) but is equipping MEDIUM armor? I have seen it, and it disturbs me beyond measure. Tanks are supposed to stack Endurance over their secondary stat(whether it be Aim, Strength, etc). Most Tanks should be in Heavy Armor(they are Tanks after all...). I see this a lot when I am using my dps or healer toons, and it's pretty sad when I have to use a Trooper DPS to save the wipe, draw aggro and heal the tank, and I am not trying to speak negatively about the healer, who is trying to keep me and the other dps alive.

There is a reason why tanks are insta-queue (as a tank I never had to wait more than two minutes to get an invite for anything) - tanks get a LOT of abuse, are far more dependent on a good team than either dps-ers or even healers, are the ones who have to manage all the aggro unless there's an off-tank dps, have little agency over their own rapidly diminishing health, and generally have less fun than others because they are forced into a damage-sponge mechanic where they output low numbers while taking one (and two...and three and four etc.) for the team. Now, there are people who enjoy this, myself included, but because you are so dependant on the rest of the team, a bad team can bury a good tank in a huff...and then make that his problem.

Case in point, as a Sin tank running the Red Reaper yesterday, I stunned one gold, pushed two silvers of the ledge and then proceeded to tank 3 ranged silvers that spawned about 40 meters away to protect the healer...only to find out that the healer was healing the dps-ers who WERE ATTACKING THE GOLD I STUNNED! After I died and they killed the silvers they told me that it was my fault, that I needed to pull the 3 RANGED silvers 40 meters (!!!) to the ledge and push them off! Mind you, we had two sorcerers in there, one of whom was lvl50 and I never got as much as a single heal! As you can see (and as you probably already know yourselves), being a tank can really, really, really suck, soemtimes :p.

In another MMORPG I once found out that appears to be a mis-conception of the word "role" in "role playing game".

Some indeed seem to believe that in the term "role playing game" the word "role" means a role you perform like in RL business or in an RL job / profession.

But, as far as I learned it, the word "role" in the term "role playing game" actually means that people play out a role like an actor does on a Theatre stage.

Both groups will have quite some problems understanding one another if they meet.

Some indeed seem to believe that in the term "role playing game" the word "role" means a role you perform like in RL business or in an RL job / profession.

Dorkness Rising - Roll Players. They're the middle ground between your business men and thespians - capable of understanding every little thing of the game, realising it's a game, still being made because it's a game, but not able to think outside of the game's rules when playing the game.

I find that people aren't bad at a specific role, so much as bad period.

A Jug tank that has cunning and willpower gear isn't bad at tanking, he doesn't even understand his own class.

If you understand the game you tend to be good at your role.

You get people who are just absolutely clueless no matter how good a tutorial/easy it is to gear your character, even though it states quite clearly that a jedi knight uses strength and only strength, you get those who think you need to stack willpower since they read it improves force damage, completely forgetting that strength also increases force damage for knights/warriors.

Still it does make for some pretty entertaining stories.

I've ran across this many times and tonight I was running a hm and we had a commando healer who was just healing himself and let both me(dps) and the tank die 2 or 3 times before I called him out on it and left the group. I called him out on it and he immediately starts raging telling me that it's my fault, that I was on the wrong side of the mob, I was too close etc etc. Yet he didn't attempt to heal even the tank at least once only himself.

Why is it so hard for people to do their simple job properly and if you proceed to call them out on it it's your fault especially if you play dps. Does anyone else experience this?

Having leveled a Scoundrel heals I am now leveling a Commando heals. One question I have, how was the commando taking so much damage that all of his energy can go to healing himself? Was the tank not taking aggro?

That may seem true, however there are two points to make.

Firstly, Hammer Station can be a tough one because depending on your class and level you may or may not have critical abilities that you would get just one level higher.

Secondly, you may have had a decently geared and decent healer who couldn't keep up because of poor tanking and not enough dps. I was healing Hammer station a couple nights ago and wiped numerous times on the last boss because no matter what, the tank would not turn the boss around... not at the beginning, no at all. A bad tank will wipe a group and it might look like the healer's fault, low dps can wipe a group and it might look like the healer's fault, you might vote kick him and get an really great geared heals who is high level for the FP and he can cover for a lot of failure on the rest on the group.

I find that people aren't bad at a specific role, so much as bad period.

And some people just really aren't very nice, and don't play their roles because they can't be bothered. I've been lumbered with a few unpleasant people in PUGs but a healer who ran ahead of the group the whole time and refused to heal was quite memorable. As the only stealth class, she was able to slip past a lot of enemies, which would be fine if she didn't leave us behind to fight them without heals. It was made clear to us that our time spent fighting the unskippable enemies was a great annoyance to her. Anyway, we were surviving OK other than one DPS death, and as it was one of the quicker HMs we just kept going. We did wonder if she thought she had been put in a DPS role by group finder, but as she wasn't DPSing either, it's not very likely! The whole thing didn't end well, with her becoming verbally abusive when we died during the final boss fight. We completed the flashpoint without her.

I'll share my horror story as well.

It was Battle of Ilum, we had an operative healer and was wiping on every single boss. When we actually killed any of the bosses, some people were lost in the process and the remaining ones were close to dying. As it turned out, healer was - and i quote - "semi-healing specced". When asked what is that spec, he replied 10/31/0. THAT was his understanding of healing spec (he did not even had kolto probes). Best part, he blamed us - tank / dpses and said that he healed Denova HM no problem (that was the time when Denove NiM and Asation SM/HM wasn't in the game yet).

Also, been running a lot of LI lately as my shadow tank and I gotta say, if you want to loose your faith in humanity - do LI via groupfinder.

You get people who are just absolutely clueless no matter how good a tutorial/easy it is to gear your character, even though it states quite clearly that a jedi knight uses strength and only strength, you get those who think you need to stack willpower since they read it improves force damage, completely forgetting that strength also increases force damage for knights/warriors.

Still it does make for some pretty entertaining stories.

I had a sentinel wearing a cowboy hat full of cunning mods. Only the fear of his answer stopped me from asking "why".

I think I have experienced all it's been written here.. Pugs are a roulette..you can always find someone not understanding the game or their character..but it's even worse when you find someone not cooperating, once I was healing a HM essels with a dps skipping every mob while the rest of the group wasn't..when I did explain that if we had to run we'd had to stick together and doing the same things I've been insulted,I didn't finish to argue that we found another dps...lol then we finished faster than with those wipes caused by that arrogant player,complaining because he was dyeing alone all the time on unskippables. And yes LI is the worst instance for pugging..almost same level of some pvp

The problem is not so much people, but Group Finder itself. It allows to queue for double roles (if class supports them), but never checks, if the person has the field respec or the proper set of gear in their inventory (in case of tanks, heals can do with dps gear more or less).

And if system allows something, people will abuse it, no way around it, same with current need/greed. Queues pop for heals/tanks faster and longer for dps? Let's queue for double roles and hope people won't kick wrong spec out.

And even aside from jerks who queue for wrong role deliberately, many people never check off wrong roles in GF (don't know how, or just forget to fo it) and use default settings thus ending up in the wrong role. Also, GF bugs out sometimes and resets your settings to defaults, and some people do not even notice it until group starts complaining. And then you go "oh shi!" (had that happening to me, but every time I ended up as a tank due to a bug, I apologized and left the group. Most times I was able to catch it, though, and decline invite just in time).

Edited by PaniMauser

I am new to the whole MMO thing. Old Republic is the first one I have ever played. Fortunately I was lucky enough to learn how to perform a role as i did flashpoints in the campaign. The big issue is I believe people do not want to ask questions for fear of looking foolish.

To be honest, the reason I rather not do Heroics or Flashpoints is because I'm worried I'll drag others down.

I do okay with the solo-content, even some of the easier heroics. But as soon as it gets harder I have trouble, mainly because I don't really fully understand the mechanics and I'm lousy at tactics.

I prefer the Healer or DPS role but apart from 'one heals, the other attacks fast' I have no idea what it entails. So, long story short. I'm aware of my shortcomings, realise I'm probably never really going to 'get it' so I don't drag others down because of it.

Do I miss a lot of content this way? Yes. Do I miss a lot of loot and exp? Definitely. Do I also miss a lot of anger directed my way for not understanding something? That also but not everyone yells luckily.

Healer is fun to actually play properly. If you know what you're doing, you can also attack a little.

What you really mean is if the tank knows what hes doing. :) I have to say, most tanks do. (Ed).

Aggro control can let me heal, bubble, attack and even take a sip of water!

Bad aggro control just makes it very expensive to repair all that armor.

Edited by pmalygris

What you really mean is if the tank knows what hes doing. :) I have to say, most tanks do. (Ed).

Aggro control can let me heal, bubble, attack and even take a sip of water!

Bad aggro control just makes it very expensive to repair all that armor.

Both right ;)

I'm playing as a healer now, after a few months of DPSing and I'm loving it.

Usually I can DPS a little too, since I'm not always healing, but some FPs are healing intensive even if people know what they're doing (like lost island).

But, now that I'm healing, there's one thing that bugs me: why do some people insist on going from fight to fight without healing all the way, first? Or worst, sometimes they don't even wait for the other players.