Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[GUIDE] Know Your Role, and...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
[GUIDE] Know Your Role, and...

Eternalnight
03.29.2013 , 11:36 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by FelixGoldenHeart View Post
on my help thread
You call this help thread?

As if the nonsense about stacking defense on dps classes wasn't bad enough, there are plenty of other things wrong here too.

Let's take just a few examples...

Your Guard: it goes on the healer in most cases, but sometimes goes on DPS if they do so much damage they pull agro off you.
In most cases in PvE there is no reason to ever guard a healer.
The threat reduction from guard does not really help healers. Healing threat is so much lower than everyone else's threat that healer will not ever pull aggro on anything that somebody else is generating threat by attacking it.

The only time healer will pull threat to himself is if nobody is attacking some mob you are in combat with. Then the threat reduction again does not help, since even with 25% less threat if you are the only person generating threat on that mob, you are still on the top of its threat list.

The 50% damage transfer will only work on PvP where you should of course always guard healers.

The 5% damage reduction, while kind of nice, is also more often than not wasted on the healer, since the healer should not be the person who gets attacked the second most often after the tank. Or if he is, then the tank and the dps are not doing their job right, and learning how to attack or control all the mobs you are in combat with would be the right solution, not putting guard on a healer.

Quote:
Taunts: use them ONLY when your party members pull agro off you,
And this is even more wrong.

First of all taunting only when other party members pull off you is bad advice considering the way taunt mechanics work on swtor. Taunts generate threat in this game. When you taunt your threat is increased to 110% or 130% of the all threat gained so far of the current highest threat holder, even if that current highest threat holder is the same person who taunted. This means that using taunts even when you already have aggro on yourself is the most effective way to secure keeping that aggro on yourself.
Now granted a well geared tank with good attack rotation will hold aggro even without taunt spamming, but that does not change the fact that in many cases taunt spamming will help to keep aggro. It would be stupid to taunt only when you loose aggro, when by taunting when you have aggro will gain so much threat that you never will even risk loosing aggro in the first place.

Especially the for the new tanks, they should pretty much taunt as often as the taunt cooldown allows them, unless it is some fight with some special mechanic (tank switch or threat reset) that they need to save their taunt for. And even on fights with those kinds of mechanics since they have 2 taunts (single target and aoe) and the timer for the fight mechanic is often longer than the taunt cooldown, they can still use their taunts for aggro building for some extent.

Quote:
and in the start of a fight.
And again even more wrong.

You should never open a fight with a taunt. You should always open up with a few damage dealing attacks (high threat ones if possible) and only taunt after that (unless somebody else attacked first).

As already explained, taunts generate threat based on a percentage of the threat already gained. That means that if you taunt at the start of the fight, the taunt generates 0 threat. If you taunt after hitting something with few other abilities then you multiply any threat gained from them by 1.1 or 1.3. And even though taunts do cause a debuff that forces the mob to attack the taunter for 6 sec regardless of how much threat anyone has, this is not needed until after the dps start attacking which they should do after the tank has used his first damaging attacks, which is also when you might want to taunt for the first (but not the only) time.

Well there is plenty more but can't spend the whole day on this.

FelixGoldenHeart
03.30.2013 , 08:29 AM | #12
Alright since the trolls seem insistant on flaming this thread, I'm removing what I posted here. Sorry a few bad apples spoiled the pie but it's getting annoying. All evidence pointed against this thread is circumstantial. Since I've played every class and this is a guide based on what I found WORKS, then I will just pass on knowledge within game. If a moderator could delete this thread I'd be grateful.

steave
03.30.2013 , 07:58 PM | #13
Alright since the trolls seem insistant on flaming this thread, I'm removing what I posted here. Sorry a few bad apples spoiled the pie but it's getting annoying. All evidence pointed against this thread is circumstantial. Since I've played every class and this is a guide based on what I found WORKS, then I will just pass on knowledge within game. If a moderator could delete this thread I'd be grateful.
It was based on what was good enough for the rest of the group to carry you trough it. The advice was terrible.

KBerling
03.31.2013 , 11:10 AM | #14
Thank the stars there are people out there willing to take the time to dispel all the bad information in this "guide". You've saved a lot of people a lot of grief. Learning to tank well is hard enough on its own. With the "assistance" of a whole bunch of bad advice, it would be impossible.