Attention All Imperial PVP'ers

klonkimo

So I can't help but see all of the non-stop 14-16k nubs (sorry, by definition it's true) in our warzones constantly. I thought about making this thread as a "just quit queuing thread" but I thought that was out of class. So I offer my advice instead.

Gearing

• If you haven't already, get your MK-2 Recruit gear from the PVP vendor. It's free. You need more expertise stat in order to PVP. Expertise boosts your damage, reduces your damage, and boosts your healing all in one handy stat. You need at least 1100 to be effective, but if you're just starting you need as much as you can muster.
  • There are plenty of other threads out there regarding what you should do with your gear. I was helping a Juggernaut out yesterday that was in Tank form and spec, but had full Vindicator gear on (just did a weeks worth of warzone's to get that gear too). It's simple, look at the gear and see what set bonus best fits your class, and if you can't figure it out don't be afraid to ask.
  • PVE specs are not the same as PVP specs. Typically, all the stuff you don't want in one, you need in the other. Noxxic.com is a decent starting point. Personally, about 40% of the specs I run are from Noxxic (known for some bad specs) 40% from friends, and 20% are my own brand of poison.

Huttball:

• Pass the ball to the tanks. Make sure "Throw the Huttball" is on your bar. In my matches, I (and many others) mark the main tank so that you can find them in a pinch.
  • Don't waste your CC breaker, you may need it to cross a fire trap.
  • Learn to get ahead of the ball carrier, instead of trying to DPS the trail behind our ball carrier. If you kill one, two more are right around the corner.
  • Stop...just please stop Whirlwind/Flashbang/Concussion Missile on their ball carrier. It's a horrible move that fills their resolve bar. There's this thing called a "fire pull" that you know nothing about, but it can't happen if you're needlessly filling their resolve bar. By all means, use your snares and roots, and hard stuns ONLY when they're on a fire trap; but throwing a Flashbang on a ball carrier is the worst move you could possibly do.
  • The air jump is more of a trap or a emergency kite, instead of a viable path to try and get on top.
  • Don't give their ball carrier a jump target. Snipers are okay since they can't be leapt to, but Merc/Sorc DPS shouldn't be trying to DPS their ball carrier from above unless they're trying to control mid.
  • If you're not doing anything, or can't help kill their ball carrier, control mid. If we have the ball, get ahead for a possible pass, intercede, or friendly ball carrier pull.
  • An acid pull is a wasted pull. Use fire pulls instead if you're a Powertech or Sin.

Civil War/Novare/Voidstar Node Guarding:

• Leave the stealther to guard the node. Just because you're 14k undergeared non stealther doesn't mean you're not needed elsewhere. Let the better node guard solo guard, unless it's clear that he can't handle it alone.
  • If you're a 14k Sin/Operative DPS, do your duty and guard a node. However, don't get NEAR the node because you will get CC capped very easily; or you will be owned by a legit shadow or marauder and you won't have a chance. They love solo kills. Your strength is that they can't find you. Mind trap them and call for help.

Ancient Hypergate:

• If you're a non stealther, don't guard a node unless you have help. Two 14k's are acceptable to guard, but if you are a 14k Sin/Operative you can solo guard.
  • If you're stealth, don't be near the node. Same principle as above. Hypergate has a 6 second cast time, so it's MUCH easier to be CC capped.
  • If you're found in stealth, blackout and call for help immediately. You're already in trouble.
  • Kill points > Orbs. If there's a fight in mid, do some DPS, tank, heal, whatever you do. Just don't ignore the fight for 5 extra points. Use your judgement, because orbs are valuable, but killing people is also valuable and you may be the key to keeping control of middle.
  • If you aren't a stealther, or aren't excellent at solo'ing people...don't go to wherever their node is. All you're doing is feeding them kills.
  • If you're the only one in mid...you're about to give them free points.
  • It only takes one person to cap. If you're also capping, you're wasting everyone's time.

Voidstar:

• Get a strategy and try and stick with it. On offense, if you're a stealther, they're expecting you. Everyone thinks their a ninja. 8/0 is legit, 4/4 is semi legit, 5/3 is legit...just get a plan and stick with it.
  • If you're on offense and a teammate is trying to stealth cap, the worst thing you could do is to draw attention to him by going to him with 3 people right behind you.
  • It only takes one to cap.
  • Save your CC's on offense for people respawning; someone is probably capping already.
  • On offense, once a door is blown, learn to slow and stun people rather than killing them; it's possible to run the whole thing if they can't catch up. If they die, they respawn to where they're supposed to be defending.
  • Reverse logic on everything I said when you're on defense.

Ranged DPS:

• When trying to control mid, learn to acquire another's target and focus your fire. Snipers and Mercs have ranged interrupts; use them on healers. Learn to mark healers with anything but a shield, and have those marks keybound.
  • Stay out of the middle of the fight, and keep a little bit of terrain by your side so if a melee starts messing you up, you have a chance to escape with a hard stun and LOS. Healers, same advice.

Melee DPS:

• I'm sure you want to get in the fight right away, but using your 30m leap into 6 bad guys, line of sighting your own healers just might be a bad idea if you have no health. You're not going to get heals.
  • Find the healers, mark the healers, harrass the healers, interrupt the healers, make their lives hell. On my healers, a melee DPS that is persistent is the most annoying thing in the world.
  • If you have an AoE taunt, try and throw it out on cooldown. It gets protection points for you and helps people not die. Bonus points for single taunting their high DPS, like a smash spec mara/jugg/sentinel/guardian.

Tanks:

• Please, don't just throw your guard on someone and think you're getting protection points. Guard someone that you're going to be nearby within 10 meters. Pro tip: Guard a melee in the first 30 seconds and then swap guards
    to a healer.
  • Don't be afraid to swap guards to stop someone from dying. Just make sure you get within 10 meters
    after you swap.
  • Protection points are easy. If you only have 30k protection...you're doing it wrong.
  • If your taunt isn't on cooldown...again you're doing it wrong.

Healers:

• Don't get noticed. Don't get caught.
  • When you get caught, learn to kite while healing yourself and your team. Save your hard stuns and cool downs for when a melee starts training you. If they're not DoT'ed up, then try a CC like whirlwind or flashbang and get back to work for 8 seconds. He'll come back really pissed though.
  • Sounds like a dick move, but learn to prioritize your heals. My personal priority list: 1) Myself (can't heal if I'm dead) 2) My tank that's guarding me 3) Guild mates (sorry, but it happens) 4) High DPS toons (never a wasted heal) 5) Everyone else.

Before the grammar police comes to the rescue, please take this in context. PVP is learned by PVP'ing and learning. This is meant as a starter guide so that we stop killing ourselves in warzones.

Edited by klonkimo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orbs count twice the amount of kills. In a game thats 30 points or fewer, orbs are huge. Just my thoughts. Good guide though, hope some imps read this so we can get on the winning side for a change.

Really? Hmm. Maybe I will amend then after I get the math. PJ...could you get the math for me? haha

Orbs count twice the amount of kills. In a game thats 30 points or fewer, orbs are huge. Just my thoughts. Good guide though, hope some imps read this so we can get on the winning side for a change.

While you are running that ONE orb or even TWO that now means you are down a man or two at mid. Your 5 guys there get wiped out and your two come back from running orbs and they get wiped out. Then the other team runs the next round of orbs. You got your two orbs the other team got 7 kill and 4 orbs. Now as the game progresses those 7 extra kills pile up.

You should add for Hypergate to never be alone at mid, most heroes in pvp end up dead. Also if you are over 600 projected points in Hypergate and are winning by more than 100. There is no way you can lose unless you feed the other team kills or they take your node, so all 8 of you should be on the node.

Edited by EmblemElite

While you are running that ONE orb or even TWO that now means you are down a man or two at mid. Your 5 guys there get wiped out and your two come back from running orbs and they get wiped out. Then the other team runs the next round of orbs. You got your two orbs the other team got 7 kill and 4 orbs. Now as the game progresses those 7 extra kills pile up.

You should add for Hypergate to never be alone at mid, most heroes in pvp end up dead. Also if you are over 600 projected points in Hypergate and are winning by more than 100. There is no way you can lose unless you feed the other team kills or they take your node, so all 8 of you should be on the node.

This is true and the only time you should run orbs imo is when either a) you wipe the enemy team or b) it is after round 2

Great starter guide, hopefully this can start a revolution for imp pugs and bring us to the level the reps are at now.

Good Sir,

Concerning your self-proclaimed title in your signature. I expressly disagree.

Regards,

Leijae

As much as I agree.....its not just the 14-16k'ers...but its also the 10-11k'ers that are just complete idiots that refuse to even upgrade gear. Yesterday I seen someone with just at 10k health fully buffed in tank stance wearing their starter planet stuff...but they were around level 30s. They should have upgraded something but still had a level 8 hilt and all that. I mean seriously come on.

Also I hate healing as much as some people but in huttball or anygame that its needed for that matter, I will fall off to the side and heal my team. There have been plenty of times that someone is running the ball in huttball and a swarm of Sorcs/Sages/Ops/Scoundrels/Mandos/Mercs all feel the need to burst down the 6 people beating on him. But what that person needs is like 1-2 to either get ahead for a pass or to throw a damn heal. Its a plague on both sides. Lots just love to see the big numbers from dps. Remember people, there are big numbers in heals too.

I would like to add that before you even consider entering a 50 wz for the 1st time, please stop by your friendly recruit gear vendor and get your free gear. Everyone loves free stuff amirite? Also please make sure you are buffed and wearing a cylinder/stance...it happens...a lot. And after said death please re-apply your buffs;)

Oh yeah also If people are running back in and you are one of those people with all 4 buffs. Dont be a pain, please throw your buff out. Your buff can help out a team as a whole instead of letting that 1-2 people running around with just their class buffs. I know its hard to imagine everyone doesn't have all the buffs. But there are those people out there.

I believe killing the guy with the orb buff accomplishes the same thing, doesn't it?

you still see folks in greens and no recruit every day, i dont expect it to change.

I hit a imp on my gunslinger for 7220 last night in in DF/Sab spec last night geared in legacy gear and a mish mash of legacy gear and other stuff i have left over from my sniper. My fav is the peeps that do get the recruit set then decide to wear level 35 greens with it as well, i dont get it......

I would like to add that before you even consider entering a 50 wz for the 1st time, please stop by your friendly recruit gear vendor and get your free gear. Everyone loves free stuff amirite? Also please make sure you are buffed and wearing a cylinder/stance...it happens...a lot. And after said death please re-apply your buffs;)

Always have grenades handy in the off chance you get matched up against Roxxay. Always grenade her on site (The Yooni Rule).

Hobi

PD

The people that need this don't go on the forums. The best we can do is try to tell them in game, but that leads to be being *****ed at when I tell a Sin wearing a shield generator in Deception spec that he's not a tank :rolleyes: Edited by ARagingNoob

The people that need this don't go on the forums. The best we can do is try to tell them in game, but that leads to be being *****ed at when I tell a Sin wearing a shield generator in Deception spec that he's not a tank :rolleyes:

Don't know about you but I stack shield on my deception set.

The people that need this don't go on the forums. The best we can do is try to tell them in game, but that leads to be being *****ed at when I tell a Sin wearing a shield generator in Deception spec that he's not a tank :rolleyes:

I will sometime leave the generator on when I'm swapping charges (hb). it helps as a carrier and it's not a terrible nerf to have that one tank slot on while dpsing in surging charge.

speaking of swapping stances: w-t-f?

• troopers have to channel the swap and can be interrupted but it doesn't cost any resources - BIOFAIL
  • sins can make the swap instantly, but it costs 100 force (which is ALL of my force). - BIOFAIL
  • juggs...oh look! the absolute best tank class gets an instant, resource free stance swap - BIOFAIL

sigh.

Let me just say unironically, as someone who more or less sucks at PvP, especially w/my DPS characters, that I appreciate this guide! Especially the Huttball advice, since I do tend to get Flashbang-happy.

I will sometime leave the generator on when I'm swapping charges (hb). it helps as a carrier and it's not a terrible nerf to have that one tank slot on while dpsing in surging charge.

speaking of swapping stances: w-t-f?

• troopers have to channel the swap and can be interrupted but it doesn't cost any resources - BIOFAIL
  • sins can make the swap instantly, but it costs 100 force (which is ALL of my force). - BIOFAIL
  • juggs...oh look! the absolute best tank class gets an instant, resource free stance swap - BIOFAIL

sigh.

The stance is what gives you more survivablitly, not really the generator. Tank stance gives you the flat DR increase on your armor, the shield only guards against ranged and meele damage, not the 90% of incoming force and tech attacks (until 2.0 hits anyways).

Also, Juggs lose all of their rage when swapping stances