Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Emperor Palpatine's Future In Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Emperor Palpatine's Future In Star Wars

Wolfninjajedi
03.28.2013 , 01:03 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
When the big bad guy comes back and the fans shut the book.

No, but really. Yes the saga continues, but going back and doing it all over again isn't how to do it. There are new villains, new prophecies to be explored. Once the hero has overcome the challenge, he shouldn't have to do it all over again, instead it should open up an expanse of new adventures and opportunities. To ignore those possibilities is just bad storytelling.
Well they did so that for a time before Palps came back, and then continued on after he was finished off for good.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Beniboybling
03.28.2013 , 01:05 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Well they did so that for a time before Palps came back, and then continued on after he was finished off for good.
I just don't see any positives whatsoever to bringing him back, only negatives.

Wolfninjajedi
03.28.2013 , 01:06 PM | #33
Well then that is your viewpoint.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Aurbere
03.28.2013 , 01:07 PM | #34
If Palpatine does come back, we may actually see something akin to Dark Empire. This could also tie into the rumors that the plot of Episode VII entails some acolyte trying to build an army.

So let me make a prediction off of this hypothesis.

Perhaps the acolyte is building an army, with Palpatine's spirit acting as an advisor/teacher. Of course Palpatine is a masterful manipulator, so he is just using this acolyte as a tool for his own purposes, most likely preparing him as a vessel for his Essence Transfer technique. Then Palpatine attempts to rebuild his Empire and take revenge on Luke Skywalker.

It's possible, but unlikely.
Added Chapter 58 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Aurbere
03.28.2013 , 01:09 PM | #35
If you take into account the impact it had on Luke Skywalker, then there are some positives.
Added Chapter 58 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

jovianus
03.28.2013 , 01:40 PM | #36
In what way exactly did Anakin fulfill the Prophecy, or more to the point, how was the Force 'balanced' by his actions?

Beniboybling
03.28.2013 , 01:44 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by jovianus View Post
In what way exactly did Anakin fulfill the Prophecy, or more to the point, how was the Force 'balanced' by his actions?
He fulfilled the prophecy by destroying his master, Darth Sidious, and returning to the light - restoring the imbalance in the Force that had been shifted immensely to the dark side. Efforts that were undone 5 years later...

There's something nice and complete about that. Which is why I dislike 'Palpatine Reborn'.

jovianus
03.28.2013 , 01:51 PM | #38
He fulfilled the prophecy by destroying his master, Darth Sidious, and returning to the light - restoring the imbalance in the Force that had been shifted immensely to the dark side. Efforts that were undone 5 years later...

There's something nice and complete about that. Which is why I dislike 'Palpatine Reborn'.

With the last of the Sith Lords dead and his apprentice redeemed to the Light, doesn't that mean that balance swung radically back in the other direction?

II find that idea of the Prophecy incredibly...banal, particularly in light of the fact that the 'Rule of Two' had no mystic significance and was a conscious decision of the Sith

It implies that the Force has a spoiled 3 year olds concept of fairness.

I have 10 toys and you have 10 toys. I throw a tantrum and smash 8 of my toys, so now you should let me smash 8 of yours so that we both have 2 and it's 'balanced'.

I always thought that Luke was the one who brought 'Balance' to the Force in the literal, personal sense. He avoids the rampant passions and cruelties of the Sith, but doesn't go in for the intense navel-gazing and self-denial of the old Jedi.

Beniboybling
03.28.2013 , 02:05 PM | #39
With the last of the Sith Lords dead and his apprentice redeemed to the Light, doesn't that mean that balance swung radically back in the other direction?

II find that idea of the Prophecy incredibly...banal, particularly in light of the fact that the 'Rule of Two' had no mystic significance and was a conscious decision of the Sith

It implies that the Force has a spoiled 3 year olds concept of fairness.

I have 10 toys and you have 10 toys. I throw a tantrum and smash 8 of my toys, so now you should let me smash 8 of yours so that we both have 2 and it's 'balanced'.

I always thought that Luke was the one who brought 'Balance' to the Force in the literal, personal sense. He avoids the rampant passions and cruelties of the Sith, but doesn't go in for the intense navel-gazing and self-denial of the old Jedi.
The Prophecy is open to interpretation. Some believe balance means the destruction of the dark side and elevation of the light, others say that there has to be equal balance between the two. I'm not really sure which interpretation is correct, a question I'd like to have answered in the Sequels.

Kaedusz
03.28.2013 , 02:14 PM | #40
read Darth Plagueis novel.
there is no room for interpretation regarding bringing balance to the force,it is explained in the novel