Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Emperor Palpatine's Future In Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Emperor Palpatine's Future In Star Wars

Kaedusz
03.28.2013 , 11:05 AM | #21
People that die need to start staying dead.Stop milking old content,create new one.

Doctoglethorpe
03.28.2013 , 11:07 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Well yes, but that was with help not just under his own power.
Eh, it was mostly him.

Wolfninjajedi
03.28.2013 , 11:11 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedusz View Post
People that die need to start staying dead.Stop milking old content,create new one.
It seems to work for DC/Marvel comics though.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Beniboybling
03.28.2013 , 12:31 PM | #24
Ok you guys are somewhat exaggerating a little bit with the whole Dark Empire shtick...

"Oh throwing around Planets and Star Destroyers like play things." Seriously? No...ya Luke/Sidious became powerful, but they never did anything like that. The biggest thing Palpatine did Force wise, was his Force Storms....now why is that so ridiculous?

More to that, how is it anymore ridiculous compared to DC/Marvel comic characters doing ridiculous ****? Lighten up folks...at least they made sense of how Palpatine was able to return via Essence Transfer. It wasn't just some cliche comic character revival of..

"Oh.....so and so wasn't really dead, they were just in a coma." Which has happened on more then one occasion.
What I have gripe with is the very notion of Sidious returning. Not because its illogical or anything like that, as I have said before in those instances I'm only interested in the quality of the outcome. And that's just it, the outcome flies in the face of the purpose of the entire Original Trilogy. It was about Luke Skywalker, the last Jedi Knight, fighting and banishing the dark side with help from his father, the Chosen One, destined to bring balance to the Force which he did my destroying his master - an act that cost him his life. This act brought celebration across the Empire, who had long hated the oppresive dictator, and the Rebellion celebrated also, looking to a future when the Republic could be restored.

But no, this ain't I'm afraid what happens. The Emperor returns, he was never actually dead, Vader never fufilled the prophecy and Luke's actions had been all for nothing. The Emperor simply gets back up and wreaks havoc all over again, completely destroying the purpose of the Original Trilogy and the Prophecy of the Chosen One, W-T-F.

Wolfninjajedi
03.28.2013 , 12:42 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
What I have gripe with is the very notion of Sidious returning. Not because its illogical or anything like that, as I have said before in those instances I'm only interested in the quality of the outcome. And that's just it, the outcome flies in the face of the purpose of the entire Original Trilogy. It was about Luke Skywalker, the last Jedi Knight, fighting and banishing the dark side with help from his father, the Chosen One, destined to bring balance to the Force which he did my destroying his master - an act that cost him his life. This act brought celebration across the Empire, who had long hated the oppresive dictator, and the Rebellion celebrated also, looking to a future when the Republic could be restored.

But no, this ain't I'm afraid what happens. The Emperor returns, he was never actually dead, Vader never fufilled the prophecy and Luke's actions had been all for nothing. The Emperor simply gets back up and wreaks havoc all over again, completely destroying the purpose of the Original Trilogy and the Prophecy of the Chosen One, W-T-F.
If you take into account the EU that is, if you go by just what the movies show...then yes Anakin did complete the Prophecy. However...who says that Anakin didn't complete the Prophecy anyway? Just because Palpatine came back, doesn't mean that balance wasn't brought to The Force if only for a time before darkness comes again. Besides there also was another Prophecy foretold by Bodo-Baas.

Beniboybling
03.28.2013 , 12:46 PM | #26
If you take into account the EU that is, if you go by just what the movies show...then yes Anakin did complete the Prophecy. However...who says that Anakin didn't complete the Prophecy anyway? Just because Palpatine came back, doesn't mean that balance wasn't brought to The Force if only for a time before darkness comes again.
That's just it, it just makes the whole symbolic act lose a lot of its weight because the guy comes back a few years later... I also don't really see what positive aspects it adds to the Star Wars universe. Paired with yet another superweapon - the World Devastators - it seems like some sort of Infinities Universe gone wrong.

Wolfninjajedi
03.28.2013 , 12:48 PM | #27
That's just it, it just makes the whole symbolic act lose a lot of its weight because the guy comes back a few years later... I also don't really see what positive aspects it adds to the Star Wars universe. Paired with yet another superweapon - the World Devastators - it seems like some sort of Infinities Universe gone wrong.
What's wrong with World Devastators? There can't be more superweapons now? Though they weren't really impressive as it took months, to actually destroy a planet and they were more easily destroyed compared to the Death Stars.

Beniboybling
03.28.2013 , 12:56 PM | #28
What's wrong with World Devastators? There can't be more superweapons now? Though they weren't really impressive as it took months, to actually destroy a planet and they were more easily destroyed compared to the Death Stars.
Its more the fact that the Emperor's back, and hey looks he's got a new superweapon. Guess killing him and destroying the Death Star was kinda a waste of time... oh well! Really? That;s the best story they could come up with. The Emperor Strikes Back? Again?

I mean, come on, not only is it lacking in originality but its unnecessary and only degrades the value of the movies. Sometimes bringing characters back is worth it, normally these characters are unexplored and with a lot of potential, both for character and there interaction with other characters. The Emperor is not this character, his saga ends in the Original Trilogy when evil is banished from the galaxy, to have evil come straight back and do it all over again - well it speaks for itself really.

Wolfninjajedi
03.28.2013 , 12:58 PM | #29
Its more the fact that the Emperor's back, and hey looks he's got a new superweapon. Guess killing him and destroying the Death Star was kinda a waste of time... oh well! Really? That;s the best story they could come up with. The Emperor Strikes Back? Again?

I mean, come on, not only is it lacking in originality but its unnecessary and only degrades the value of the movies. Sometimes bringing characters back is worth it, normally these characters are unexplored and with a lot of potential, both for character and there interaction with other characters. The Emperor is not this character, his saga ends in the Original Trilogy when evil is banished from the galaxy, to have evil come straight back and do it all over again - well it speaks for itself really.
Since when do things, ever end just because the big bad guy dies? Or the Prophecy is done? I mean The Matrix was kinda the same thing, we learn in Reloaded that there were 5 other Ones before Neo, so he wasn't the end all be all guy, it was all a cycle.

Beniboybling
03.28.2013 , 01:03 PM | #30
Since when do things, ever end just because the big bad guy dies? Or the Prophecy is done?
When the big bad guy comes back and the fans shut the book.

No, but really. Yes the saga continues, but going back and doing it all over again isn't how to do it. There are new villains, new prophecies to be explored. Once the hero has overcome the challenge, he shouldn't have to do it all over again, instead it should open up an expanse of new adventures and opportunities. Instead they choose to milk old, done concepts, that's just bad storytelling.

P.S. A lot of DC/Marvel works suck because they do just this.