Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

2.0 pvp, rewards, bolster!? whats the deal?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
2.0 pvp, rewards, bolster!? whats the deal?!

Spacebuzzardbill
03.26.2013 , 11:32 AM | #1
)I cant believe the bs from softcore pvpers on this post: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=609933
Whoever keeps saying that pvpers depend on superior gear to feel powerful and smash freshies just doesn't get it...
Pvers start out weak doing loads of hm fps, dailies, and pug sm ops so the can improve gear and skill so they can eventually be invited to harder ops with people who have done the same thing. The high end pver rarely has to pug. All this character building unlocks a more sophisticated game experience.
Pvpers do the same thing. They gear to be a good competitor. They pvp constantly and thru the grind they become better at what they enjoy. Eventually they are able to defeat harder opponents and do ranked with some of the best.

spityyy
04.02.2013 , 10:42 AM | #2
That would be understandable if high end pvpers actually played better than lower level. There are some that do but very very few. I don't mind the grind if it wasn't torture to have some idiot just standing taking massive amounts of dmg and not really doing anything then after 10 sec of me whaling on him/her finally figure how to turn ur toon around and kill me in 2-3 hits. I want to reach that level that he/she is at but it shoudnt be totture to do so. Sp the new bolster in 2.0 will put skill ahead of someone who spends all day grinding war zones not really learning anything from it. And if u say ur experience gives you skill then there shouldn't be any problem for you to easily take out a newly bolstered player with your "skill" .

Technohic
04.02.2013 , 12:00 PM | #3
I don't know. I have been struggling with if I even care about PvP in this game anymore. At least as far as warzones goes. I almost feel like I just want to grind them out to get the gear just so I am equipped for the rare open world PvP, where bolster isn't going to help you anyway.
Technohic - Sniper | Techno-Hic - Gunslinger | Cihonhcet - Scoundrel
Karnrage - Assassin | Egarnrak - Sage
Techen - Merc | Nehcet - Vanguard | Carnrage - Marauder | Egarnrac - Guardian
POT5

Desjani
04.02.2013 , 12:33 PM | #4
I think it (the bolster system) is complete BS. I worked my *** off for my PVP gear, and it pisses me off to no end that I am hearing someone will get bolstered up to WH or w/e . I had to grind up from recruit gear and everyone else should have to as well. For Ranked WZ there should be NO BOLSTER AT ALL, if they want to bolster people up to recruit - then just give everyone recruit (like they do) and call it a day - I say get rid of it entirely. I also don't think i should be able to go into any high level Operations with my PVP gear and do nearly as well as someone with PVEgear on. I don't ***** about this, and it doesn't bother me that in the new "operations" I won't be able to do the content in my PVP gear -- it infuriates me to no end that the PVEers are ************ b/c they get 3 shot - fk them! If i wannna do operations then i will grind the gear - if you wannna do PVP then GRIND THE GEAR!

Lanja
04.02.2013 , 12:34 PM | #5
I've done very little PvP, but my wife likes to do Warzones, so we're trying to wrap our heads around current and upcoming (2.0) gearing. I always thought it was odd that PvP'rs had to gimp their primary and other secondary stats to get gear with Expertise. I may be wrong, but my understanding is that Expertise is not an "insta-win" stat intended to give PvP grinders an overwhelming advantage over recruit PvP'rs or casuals in PvE gear, but instead that Expertise is a necessary mechanic to modify how damage, defense and healing normally scale/work in a PvE mob/boss environment over to how they need to scale/work in a PvP environment.

Assuming that's correct, I've never understood why Expertise wasn't given its own point budget and placed on all gear . (The higher the tier fo gear, the better the Expertise bump, as is the case with gear improvement for any other stat.) IMO, whether you persue gear progression via end-game PvP or end-game PvE material shouldn't matter. Only the relative accomplishment level should matter (e.g. clearing a NiM boss or equivalent ranked warzone performance). Either way (or in some combination) you'd get progressively better gear, equally useful in either environment. That would allow primarily PvP gamers to hop into the occasional Op without being self-conscious about their stats, and vice-versa for PvE players engaging in occasional PvP.

I hear that in 2.0 the amount of Expertise on gear (or individual mods) will no longer count against the total amount of primary/secondary stats, which seems to be a step in the right direction. But it seems like BW still wants folks to have two sets of gear from two distinct/separate tiers of gear, one for each environment. Maybe the intention behind separate gear sets is merely to require double the grind-time, but it just seems odd to me. Am I missing something?

I read somewhere that PvE gear will get "bolstered" to compensate for lack of Expertise on our side, but is there something equivalent to help out the folks in PvP gear who might want to come raiding with us on occasion? Having Expertise no longer gimp other stats should help a lot, but I hear that level 72 gear is Ops-drop only.

cycao
04.02.2013 , 12:35 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Desjani View Post
I think it (the bolster system) is complete BS. I worked my *** off for my PVP gear, and it pisses me off to no end that I am hearing someone will get bolstered up to WH or w/e . I had to grind up from recruit gear and everyone else should have to as well. For Ranked WZ there should be NO BOLSTER AT ALL, if they want to bolster people up to recruit - then just give everyone recruit (like they do) and call it a day - I say get rid of it entirely. I also don't think i should be able to go into any high level Operations with my PVP gear and do nearly as well as someone with PVEgear on. I don't ***** about this, and it doesn't bother me that in the new "operations" I won't be able to do the content in my PVP gear -- it infuriates me to no end that the PVEers are ************ b/c they get 3 shot - fk them! If i wannna do operations then i will grind the gear - if you wannna do PVP then GRIND THE GEAR!
Feel better? Here, this should help.

LanceCorporalDan
04.02.2013 , 12:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by spityyy View Post
That would be understandable if high end pvpers actually played better than lower level. There are some that do but very very few. I don't mind the grind if it wasn't torture to have some idiot just standing taking massive amounts of dmg and not really doing anything then after 10 sec of me whaling on him/her finally figure how to turn ur toon around and kill me in 2-3 hits. I want to reach that level that he/she is at but it shoudnt be totture to do so. Sp the new bolster in 2.0 will put skill ahead of someone who spends all day grinding war zones not really learning anything from it. And if u say ur experience gives you skill then there shouldn't be any problem for you to easily take out a newly bolstered player with your "skill" .
Bolster is stupid. Period..

Everyone has to grind for their gear, I'm doing it on my most recent 50. Does it suck to face an idiot that can't play their class and who you should beat, but he outgears and kills you? Absolutely. But hey, in a couple of days I'll be geared up and with a smaller gear gap between me and him which means I'll win this time.

This is an MMO, the grind is much better than it was before and needs no change; and definitely NO BOLSTER!!!

Skill matters when there is a lesser gear gap. And this is an MMO, take a bite of the sh*t sandwich and ride the grind.

Welcome to the suck...
Lieutenant Neves
1st Assault Platoon Commander
ALPHA COMPANY
203rd Republic Expeditionary Legion

Groncho
04.02.2013 , 01:00 PM | #8
2 many ************'s
Ch
LATIN LOVER

Anishor
04.02.2013 , 01:57 PM | #9
I like it as a hardcore pvper, it encourages more participation (I prefer the GW2 gearing model anyways). PVP should be about skill and good fighting. If you really need to feel that your gear is advantage you can always world pvp =)
Penumbral, Jung Ma server
Sranishor ( Vengeance *main* ) Sran'ishor ( Marauder *alt* )
PVP Officer
"My passion and the force shows me more than your eyes ever could."

TUXs
04.02.2013 , 02:04 PM | #10
If everyone who grinds out gear is as angry as you are, doesn't it make sense to minimize the impact gear plays?

I'm glad it's gone.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.