Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What triggered our newfound OPness?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
What triggered our newfound OPness?

Volxen
03.27.2013 , 12:52 AM | #11
Snipers have never been "OP" and probably never will be. Melee players fear that the new roll ability means that it will actually take some degree of effort/skill to get in melee range. The melee players complaining about the new roll ability would like to be able to faceroll snipers in the same manner that they currently faceroll mercs. It currently is fairly easy for melee players to close the gap on every map other than Huttball (it's extremely easy for them if your team doesn't support you and keep their melee players occupied), so the staunch opposition to the new roll ability by melee players is not that surprising.

A lot of people might end up re-rolling snipers because of the hype, but that doesn’t mean the class will be “OP”.

BambulaGTS
03.27.2013 , 10:59 AM | #12
OPness scream was triggered by damage numbers from final tables on PTS RWZs.

While smashers always have comparavle numbers, dealt with 7k + hits, and it was ok cause it existed for a long time, folks were so terrified by numbers caused by 1,5 k ticks ... Imba.

Nevertheless, that final tables showed that for every 1 kk lol grenade throwers managed to achieve every healer got 2 -3 kk in heals. Means that damage is crap.

Expertise heal increase now fully underrates basic pvp trauma and there is increase in AoE heals department from all healing classes, meaning that lol ticks were and would be healed no prob.

zzoorrzz
03.27.2013 , 11:49 AM | #13
Not sure what FOTM means but as I understand, sniper is going to be better than others for a while in PvP. That's a bit unfortunate for me, because I came to swtor few weeks ago, picked a sniper without knowing anything about this update. Reached lvl 50 this past weekend and now people are going to think that I'm one of those who picked the class because of this change.

WaldoA
03.27.2013 , 11:54 AM | #14
Snipers aren't OP at all.

If anything, Operatives are. Sure they lack a little less burst, but their damage isn't far behind. They also don't get as long range as a Sniper, but in turn get self heals, stealth, a roll with no cooldown that can kite ANY class whilst also proccing a free 4k+ heal.

Already said this in another thread, but I welcome all the baddies rolling Sniper, I'll be happy to see you all soon on my Operative

Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
Not sure what FOTM means but as I understand, sniper is going to be better than others for a while in PvP. That's a bit unfortunate for me, because I came to swtor few weeks ago, picked a sniper without knowing anything about this update. Reached lvl 50 this past weekend and now people are going to think that I'm one of those who picked the class because of this change.
This isn't the case at all. People are thinking they are overpowered because they parse high on a dummy that doesn't move, use defensive abilities or be healed. Snipers are very easy to kite and their burst requires cast times.

P.S. None of this is bias as I have every class at level 50 (except Merc/Mando) and fully war hero geared if not only a few pieces off.

Groncho
03.28.2013 , 10:13 AM | #15
what triggered it?
Bads that don't understand that crit rating went down in the PTS, tanks are gonna be shielding almost every attack and a parse made in PVE that was too high.
That and the bad knights/warriors that can't understand how to shutdown a sniper
Chë
LATIN LOVER
Free Transfer??=

Luckeyduckey
03.28.2013 , 10:32 AM | #16
Snipers got some nice upgrades and people have only just noticed them. I remember when a pug sniper in Ranked WZs that was undergeared was rolling people. People don't notice how great a class is until it hits them in the face. I think the increase in smashers and that sorcs and mercs are somewhat squishy and underpowered.
Expløit
Ønslaught
Eradicate

paowee
03.28.2013 , 12:43 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
Nope, it was on the operations training dummy. The reason why it does that much damage, is because an engineering sniper's covered escape drops scatter bombs which detonate for large amounts of damage. The spec really only works well with bosses that have large hit boxes. Pretty much Titan, Thrasher, Writhing Horror, Operator IX, and Kephess for 2.0. The spec will still shine in AOE, but that is still 2.9k single-target damage. Even then, it is probably the hardest spec to play effectively, because of that "gimmick" if you would call it one, so the extra damage is justified. Maybe it could be toned down a little, but it isn't extremely overpowered.
Why should it be toned down? Re: "large amounts of damage:" a single Scatter Bomb for me does around ~1800 damage. If it crits with relic/adrenal it hits for up to 4000. The 5 bombs are dropped in a trail over an 18 METER LINE and makes it difficult to be effective in humanoid bosses who have smaller hit boxes/hit circles.

If you check this picture http://i.imgur.com/mcSi4JP.png you can see how many (or how few) of the more recent bosses have hit boxes big enough for Engineering to be viable. In an actual raid setting, even on these bosses, you can have at least 3 (if you mess up your positioning), 4 (if you had good positioning) or 5 (if you have perfect positioning) Scatter Bombs to hit.

In NiM TFB these bosses will be
1) Writhing Horror
2) Operator IX
3) TFB (unique mechanics)

3 out of 5 bosses.

In HM S&V these bosses will be
1) Titan 6
2) Thrasher
3) Dashroode (to some extent but it is harder to pull off due to the mechanics of that fight)

3 out of 7 bosses.

That's 5 (if you don't count dashroode) or 6 out of 12 bosses where Engineering is exceptional. This makes Scatter Bombs hardly overpowered in PVE. There is imo no need for any kind of damage nerf. I think Full Engineering is fine; MM and Lethality will still be mostly preferable and will have their place in operations. What BW did was add nothing but more variety to the way Snipers can do PVE DPS. On another note, if we had another boss like Bonetrasher.. lol that is a fight where you can definitely have 5 Scatter Bombs hit thus making it very possible to reach that 2900 single target ops dummy DPS (Arkanian gear).

I dont understand why people would call "Positioning-For-DPS," gimmicky . I think it's innovative and not just your usual: target -> follow rotation -> repeat kind of spec. What other mmo/class has this kind of sustained DPS?

Also if you play League of Legends, Engi sniper with scatter bombs kind of plays like Tryndamere (although a ranged one) lol
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

Kaos_KidSWTOR
03.28.2013 , 03:59 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by WaldoA View Post
Snipers aren't OP at all.

If anything, Operatives are. Sure they lack a little less burst, but their damage isn't far behind. They also don't get as long range as a Sniper, but in turn get self heals, stealth, a roll with no cooldown that can kite ANY class whilst also proccing a free 4k+ heal.

Already said this in another thread, but I welcome all the baddies rolling Sniper, I'll be happy to see you all soon on my Operative

This isn't the case at all. People are thinking they are overpowered because they parse high on a dummy that doesn't move, use defensive abilities or be healed. Snipers are very easy to kite and their burst requires cast times.

P.S. None of this is bias as I have every class at level 50 (except Merc/Mando) and fully war hero geared if not only a few pieces off.
Operatives are the farthest from OP you could ever see. Snipers on the other hand are incredibly OP with the change to Alacrity. Now they literaly CANT run out of energy. and pair that with all the other buffs Snipers will be hitting the top charts in all DPS (Marksman that is but isnt that the only way to play sniper is MM?)

Zunayson
03.28.2013 , 04:06 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaos_KidSWTOR View Post
Operatives are the farthest from OP you could ever see. Snipers on the other hand are incredibly OP with the change to Alacrity. Now they literaly CANT run out of energy. and pair that with all the other buffs Snipers will be hitting the top charts in all DPS (Marksman that is but isnt that the only way to play sniper is MM?)

You do realize that alacrity does nearly nothing to energy regen, right?

Honestly, I never ran out of energy, ever ever since Sniper Volley became capstone and I refined my rotation.

In other news: You're both misinformed, and wrong.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

paowee
03.28.2013 , 05:03 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by WaldoA View Post
That 2.9k DPS parse is also in an AoE heavy fight where the spec is good, people are going to roll it and try it in PvP only to realise it's not as good as they were expecting, and I will enjoy the day that happens.
That wasn't in a aoe heavy fight. That parse was on the operations training dummy which is sitting beside a wall which made it so that when i rolled,l the dummy gets hit by all 5 scatter bombs. In a raid setting, having 4 - 5 scatter bombs hit can only be done on bosses with big hit boxes like Operator, Titan 6, Thrasher, etc.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records