Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Epic Lightsaber Duels


Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
03.24.2013 , 12:57 PM | #1
The image of Anakin and Obi-Wan with their sabers locked is an iconic one. Luke clashing with Vader, or Kenobi facing down Grievous.

Lightsaber duels are perhaps one of the most exciting aspects of Star Wars, and can be the turning point in each film.

Which duel was the greatest one of them all? Consider anything we've seen onscreen, from the original films to the Clone Wars series to the cinematic trailers for TOR.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
Kaggath Brawl: Round One Round Two
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
03.25.2013 , 05:32 PM | #2
5 best in my favs.

1. Obi-wan vs Maul

2. ROTJ Luke vs Vader

3. Obi-wan vs vader on mustafar

4. Yoda vs Palpatine in the senate building

5. Vader vs Obi-wan on the D-star. Nothing was more epic seeing that for the first time as a child.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight

Kameki's Avatar


Kameki
03.25.2013 , 05:47 PM | #3
The duel that got me most amazed was Yoda VS Count Dooku during the aftermath of the Battle of Geonosis. I had never seen Yoda fight before that, and I loved his dexterity (I believe it is called Ataru-stance/form in cannon lore)
Suiko 推古 Legacy
掃仔 Souzai - Human Mercenary
小仔 Hungzai - Human Sith Juggernaught
夜仔 Yezai - Human Sith Assassin

Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
03.25.2013 , 06:20 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kameki View Post
The duel that got me most amazed was Yoda VS Count Dooku during the aftermath of the Battle of Geonosis. I had never seen Yoda fight before that, and I loved his dexterity (I believe it is called Ataru-stance/form in cannon lore)
Yes, it's called Form IV, or Ataru. Yoda was impressive the first time he fought, although I felt like it altered his image from the wise, powerful Force Consular into a slightly less serious character.

The way Yoda dealt with Ventress in The Clone Wars was far more in line with the originals, I felt. He just took both her lightsabers out of her hands with the Force, looked at them, and then levitated them back over to her and said, "Surrender, you should." I was laughing myself to death.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
Kaggath Brawl: Round One Round Two
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
03.25.2013 , 07:18 PM | #5
Most epic duel? It has to be Yoda vs. Sidious. The scale of that battle was truly epic. Sidious throwing Senate pods was also amazing.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"You felt it; the power of hate. The power of the Dark Side. Your eyes are opened. You see now. The power burns more brightly, stronger on the Dark Side. Despite what the Council had taught you, you now know the truth."- Count Dooku

Bird_of_Thunder's Avatar


Bird_of_Thunder
03.25.2013 , 07:26 PM | #6
1) Tie between Vader vs. Obi-Wan (Mustafar) and Yoda vs. Sidious. Amazing duels right there; the Vader/Obi-Wan duel was just a powerful moment after I've seen the development of both charcters in TCW. And Yoda vs. Sidious... need I say more?

2) Obi-Wan and Qui-gonn vs. Maul. It was an epic duel.

3) Luke vs. Vader (ROTJ). Father vs. son, just the emotion in that duel was amazing.

4) Yoda vs. Dooku. Yoda was a flippin' little green ninja (as always).

5) Anakin vs. Dooku (just that segment without Obi-Wan). It was Anakin's vengeance moment; and he took full advantage.
Lord Ravvok
Annihilation Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

Kameki's Avatar


Kameki
03.25.2013 , 07:42 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
The way Yoda dealt with Ventress in The Clone Wars was far more in line with the originals, I felt. He just took both her lightsabers out of her hands with the Force, looked at them, and then levitated them back over to her and said, "Surrender, you should." I was laughing myself to death.
I remember the scene, quite hilarious indeed. I think it was also the very first episode of season 1.
Suiko 推古 Legacy
掃仔 Souzai - Human Mercenary
小仔 Hungzai - Human Sith Juggernaught
夜仔 Yezai - Human Sith Assassin

Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
03.25.2013 , 10:32 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kameki View Post
I remember the scene, quite hilarious indeed. I think it was also the very first episode of season 1.
That early, eh? I guess I'll have to double check.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bird_of_Thunder View Post
1) Tie between Vader vs. Obi-Wan (Mustafar) and Yoda vs. Sidious. Amazing duels right there; the Vader/Obi-Wan duel was just a powerful moment after I've seen the development of both charcters in TCW. And Yoda vs. Sidious... need I say more?

2) Obi-Wan and Qui-gonn vs. Maul. It was an epic duel.

3) Luke vs. Vader (ROTJ). Father vs. son, just the emotion in that duel was amazing.

4) Yoda vs. Dooku. Yoda was a flippin' little green ninja (as always).

5) Anakin vs. Dooku (just that segment without Obi-Wan). It was Anakin's vengeance moment; and he took full advantage.
The problem with Anakin vs. Obi-Wan is that you have to deal with the fact that you know Obi-Wan wins somehow. So every time you see Anakin gaining an advantage, you are excited and intrigued, but know he's doomed. That duel was too long and "evenly matched" to be interesting to watch. The same effect, of showing how they are balanced, Kenobi's defense matching the torrent of anger that Vader is throwing out until Vader makes a mistake, could have been achieved in a much shorter and more intense time frame.

Also, as originally written by Nick Gillard, Vader's defeat was way more epic. He disarms Kenobi and starts choking him, then as he closed for the kill Kenobi called his lightsaber into his hand and strikes off Vader's limbs before Vader kills him. That would have been a far more intense conclusion to the duel, playing off the fact that you know Kenobi wins somehow, but leaving it until the last moment.

Kenobi vs. Maul was boring until the last few seconds after Qui-Gon died, then it got real. Although I would have preferred more physicality and anger on Kenobi's part, as we saw when Maul taunted him in TCW. Especially as a padawan, seeing his master die, Kenobi should have become enraged and possibly wounded Maul before the more experienced saberist disarmed him.

I liked Anakin's rematch with Dooku, it was interesting in context of their previous duel, and Anakin's flirtations with the Dark Side (although let's be honest, that kid was already Dark Side by then, he'd shown a willingness to murder people, disobey orders, had dreams of fascist coups, and wanted unlimited power.... uh, anyone else see a problem here?)

As always, Luke vs. Vader reins supreme. That duel essentially made RotJ for me, nothing else compared. From the moment the Emperor begins tempting Luke to the Dark Side, threatening the rebels, revealing his trap, to the moment Vader throws his sorry *** down the reactor shaft, the tension and excitement was there.

Luke and Vader's initial blows, giving way to Luke's refusal to fight Vader, until taunted by Vader's knowledge of his sister, and then Luke's very aggressive beatdown of his father, severing his hand. It was a duel that progressed and had emotional depth as well as an interesting shift of scenery and terrain. The mustafar duel really had none of that, it was much too long and repetitive to carry the same weight that the original finale did.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
Kaggath Brawl: Round One Round Two
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
03.25.2013 , 10:33 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Most epic duel? It has to be Yoda vs. Sidious. The scale of that battle was truly epic. Sidious throwing Senate pods was also amazing.
That one did prove to be just long enough to be impressive, without going overboard.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
Kaggath Brawl: Round One Round Two
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
03.27.2013 , 06:02 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
That one did prove to be just long enough to be impressive, without going overboard.
Actually the last 45 minutes of the movie from the point you see Vader leading the 501st into the jedi temple till the end, i think made up for the rest of the first 3 movies of the prequil.

And I know many hate on Hayden, I think if he'd had the intensity, or that focus of acting he had when he was going back and forth with Ewan about the sith and jedi, if he'd put level of acting into II and the rest of III, i think the movie would of been much better.

But those lightsaber duels made the movie. Plus it's always sad but the book scenes, explained so much more. Particularly the final fight between Dooku and Anakin. So much more was shown that wasn't shown in the movie, and it's a real shame it didn't.

I wouldn't of minded another 3-4 minutes of that fight and to the length of the movie to see that fight develop more before it ended.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight