Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PT vs Sage - sage lose why?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PT vs Sage - sage lose why?

WIZBASKY
03.23.2013 , 03:31 AM | #1
it's a stupid titel but need to ask a question

why is it than most classes i come up against the damage is predictable and steady for the most part, even smash monkeys are predictable in the damage they deal and how long it will take.

But when a pyro PT attacks me it seems all over in seconds

aPlease help me understand, really as i do not knwo what they are doing to me

all I see if a flame thrower and 1/2 my life disapear in 1 second, what exactly did they do to me.

HomicidalWhales
03.23.2013 , 04:04 AM | #2
Powertech stacks more Alacrity. Therefore, PTs always > Sages.

Chemic_al
03.23.2013 , 04:08 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by WIZBASKY View Post

why is it than most classes i come up against the damage is predictable and steady for the most part, even smash monkeys are predictable in the damage they deal and how long it will take.

all I see if a flame thrower and 1/2 my life disapear in 1 second, what exactly did they do to me.
Well, they load you up with things that go boom*, and when they do, you do too. But not only that their railshot ignores quite a large proportion of armour, which for a sage isn't much to begin with. And lastly, unlike a sage's DoTs, the CGC dot from a pyro powertech actually hurts.

*thermal detonator, incendiary missile and then they use rocket punch or spam flame burst to proc the free rail shot. Flame thrower btw, is more likely an advanced prototype powertech.

Wainamoinen
03.23.2013 , 04:27 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Chemic_al View Post
Flame thrower btw, is more likely an advanced prototype powertech.
Expect OP is referring to Flame Burst.

As was mentioned, the PT is probably loading you up with stuff that all hit in a short period. They have horrible burst damage.

Most of their abilities are 10m ranged though, so if you can keep them further away than that, you'll do better. If they get closer, get the hell away from them.
It's a small world and it smells funny, I'd buy another if it wasn't for the money.
Ilmarinen 55 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

KettleBelll
03.23.2013 , 05:45 AM | #5
If you stay greater than 10m away, you are going to auto win

Powertechs are likely Backloading their damage on you, Spending a GCD on Explosive Dart, and another on Thermal Detonator, and maybe even one before those with Incindary Missile.

What you consider 'instant blowup' is actually the Powertech has been attacking for a while before you noticed.

When you see one, just get away, bubbles, Dots, Zap, stun, heal, Knockback, whatever. If the talent is with you, you should have it easy with Powertechs.

NoTomorrow
03.23.2013 , 05:48 AM | #6
Pyro has a few delayed attacks, this way the damage stacks for incredible burst all at once. You don't get initially damage, but you hear the bomb ticking on you, then when it explodes, you eat a railshot as well at the same time.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

SuperGrunt
03.23.2013 , 06:17 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
Pyro has a few delayed attacks, this way the damage stacks for incredible burst all at once. You don't get initially damage, but you hear the bomb ticking on you, then when it explodes, you eat a railshot as well at the same time.
Yeah I love it when they try that on me when I PVP, and I pop my Shield Probe to absorb all their damage and then I get to kill them, or at least get them half way before a friend (or 2) comes to help them kill me.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo

Mookind
03.23.2013 , 06:35 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by WIZBASKY View Post

In a duel you should have quite a good chance to beat PTs

But in a WZ things can get hectic and if they get you to 40% with a thermal on then rail shot you its pretty much all over.

As soon as you hear that tic tic tic from thermal detonator you need to stun that PT and force speed away, lol

Face tanking a good PT is never an option

Edit - after you pop force speed purge yourself, they can't railshot you without burn i'm pretty sure (healer only)

Altheran
03.23.2013 , 06:59 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SuperGrunt View Post
Yeah I love it when they try that on me when I PVP, and I pop my Shield Probe to absorb all their damage and then I get to kill them, or at least get them half way before a friend (or 2) comes to help them kill me.
Shield Probe help, but not that much. It is a flat amount of absorb that will be blown whenever you popped it, before the burst or during their burst. Timiming has nothing to do. And there is no way that you'll absorb "all their damage", Shield Probe is too weak when comparing to the two detonators plus Railshot.
The only people who can claim to be able to negate it all are Shadows and Assassins who can remove the DoTs, making the detonators inefficient and making Railshot unavaliable.

stephenalandavie
03.23.2013 , 07:39 AM | #10
Weren't sages designed to be a dps support class? i think the term i am emphasizing there is "support" I would of thought that speaks wonders.