Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

It's Really Sad to See TCW Be Cancelled

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
It's Really Sad to See TCW Be Cancelled

MasterOak
03.25.2013 , 12:40 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Here's the thing.
Plus IMO they have done some just HORRID story choices that just ran roughshod over some of the books already published, and the whole Peaceful Mando crap, just gave Mandos EVERYWHERE a bad name, Death Watch or not.
Oh please. As if Karen Traviss hadn't already run roughshod over the entire lore of Star Wars, established characters, and her fellow writers in the legacy series. Her so called "work" being heavily edited/retconned is the LEAST she deserves. Moreover, the Clone Wars only presented solid themes which had already been established. The Mandalorians are warmongering thugs, the Death Watch didn't change that. The fact their civilization has changed enough to sustain a new regime like the Duchess Satine's provided some much needed variety to the Mandalorians and their history.

Back to the topic at hand, I too am sorry to see the Clone Wars go. It was a really splendid addition to the canon, and it was great to see so many familiar faces not to mention new ones like Cad Bane. Honestly by cancelling so many current Star Wars projects like the Clone Wars, and Star Wars 1313 it seems as if Disney is trying to wash their hands of the old saga entirely. Maybe they think it'll help sell their reboot of the franchise, can't say I understand the logic they're using to be honest. You'd think any quality Star Wars production would only be a good thing, to help keep the fans/audience energized before the release of the trilogy.

TalonVII
03.25.2013 , 08:04 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterOak View Post
Oh please. As if Karen Traviss hadn't already run roughshod over the entire lore of Star Wars, established characters, and her fellow writers in the legacy series. Her so called "work" being heavily edited/retconned is the LEAST she deserves. Moreover, the Clone Wars only presented solid themes which had already been established. The Mandalorians are warmongering thugs, the Death Watch didn't change that. The fact their civilization has changed enough to sustain a new regime like the Duchess Satine's provided some much needed variety to the Mandalorians and their history.

Back to the topic at hand, I too am sorry to see the Clone Wars go. It was a really splendid addition to the canon, and it was great to see so many familiar faces not to mention new ones like Cad Bane. Honestly by cancelling so many current Star Wars projects like the Clone Wars, and Star Wars 1313 it seems as if Disney is trying to wash their hands of the old saga entirely. Maybe they think it'll help sell their reboot of the franchise, can't say I understand the logic they're using to be honest. You'd think any quality Star Wars production would only be a good thing, to help keep the fans/audience energized before the release of the trilogy.
Ok where ONCE did i mention the Legacy series. Yes there she screwed the pooch, but so did all the writers and editors IMO.

I was merely concerning myself with THE CLONE COMMANDO SERIES. Try re-reading and using reading comprehension before venting your spleen.

Because what I said IS ON TOPIC. TCW cartoon ran roughshed over a multitide of books. The clone commando books, Medstar dualogy, Dark rendevous.

Come on, so many books that just got kicked to the side.

Try reading what i said instead on fixating on KT.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler

Beniboybling
03.25.2013 , 11:23 AM | #23
Ok where ONCE did i mention the Legacy series. Yes there she screwed the pooch, but so did all the writers and editors IMO.

I was merely concerning myself with THE CLONE COMMANDO SERIES. Try re-reading and using reading comprehension before venting your spleen.

Because what I said IS ON TOPIC. TCW cartoon ran roughshed over a multitide of books. The clone commando books, Medstar dualogy, Dark rendevous.

Come on, so many books that just got kicked to the side.

Try reading what i said instead on fixating on KT.
Seriously, retconning - it happens and sometimes it sucks (though rarely) but we have to accept it. I mean realistically anyone who gets the oppurtunity to contribute to the Star Wars Expanded Universe should consider it nothing else than an honor, I mean, to have your own ideas solidified in canon? What greater honor could a Star Wars fan receive? They certainly shouldn't consider it, and neither should the readers, their right, for essentially the story of Star Wars is not their own. They, like we, are an audience, interpreters of Lucas' great vision!

No, but really, this is the nature of the franchise - it evolves, it changes, some things get left behind others are carried forward. Instead be grateful that the concept 'Mandalorian' was ever accepted and expanded upon, and was made a major concept in the series. Like many other EU concepts across the franchise. And be grateful that people are still willing and able to contribute and expand Star Wars lore - rather than writing them off and 'kicking them aside' because they makes minor changes, which, let's face it, are improvements.

P.S. Try and learn to read yourself. If you did you'll notice MasterOak was responding to your comment that the New Mandalorian concept was a bad one, and gave Mando's a bad name. And I totally concur with him, the concept gave much needed variety to the Mandalorian culture which seemed relatively the same across the board. War-mongering warriors killing Jedi, allying with Sith and pillaging peoples, gets old after a while.

EDIT: Have you even watched all the Mandalorian arcs? And I don't just mean those in Season 2, but 'A Friend in Need' and the fanatastic Maul arc in Season 5. If not then you've missed a whole range of concepts and themes, and you'll find your interpretation of the New Mando concept is entirely misguided.

TalonVII
03.25.2013 , 05:40 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Seriously, retconning - it happens and sometimes it sucks (though rarely) but we have to accept it. I mean realistically anyone who gets the oppurtunity to contribute to the Star Wars Expanded Universe should consider it nothing else than an honor, I mean, to have your own ideas solidified in canon? What greater honor could a Star Wars fan receive? They certainly shouldn't consider it, and neither should the readers, their right, for essentially the story of Star Wars is not their own. They, like we, are an audience, interpreters of Lucas' great vision!

No, but really, this is the nature of the franchise - it evolves, it changes, some things get left behind others are carried forward. Instead be grateful that the concept 'Mandalorian' was ever accepted and expanded upon, and was made a major concept in the series. Like many other EU concepts across the franchise. And be grateful that people are still willing and able to contribute and expand Star Wars lore - rather than writing them off and 'kicking them aside' because they makes minor changes, which, let's face it, are improvements.

P.S. Try and learn to read yourself. If you did you'll notice MasterOak was responding to your comment that the New Mandalorian concept was a bad one, and gave Mando's a bad name. And I totally concur with him, the concept gave much needed variety to the Mandalorian culture which seemed relatively the same across the board. War-mongering warriors killing Jedi, allying with Sith and pillaging peoples, gets old after a while.

EDIT: Have you even watched all the Mandalorian arcs? And I don't just mean those in Season 2, but 'A Friend in Need' and the fanatastic Maul arc in Season 5. If not then you've missed a whole range of concepts and themes, and you'll find your interpretation of the New Mando concept is entirely misguided.
Point is this. They could of gone more of Skirrata like Mandos instead of what i consider just an affront to Mando Culture.

Jesus seeing something like that name a Mandalore that would not be rolling in his grave. It took the who set up for those who trained the clones and just took a huge dump IMO. I refuse to watch TCW for the simple fact it's not just retconning.

It just dumps on the SW universe. I mean seriously, bringing back MAUL? Guy is cut in half and they bring him back? Sorry and having him basically take out Mandalore and put death watch under his control, yeah...no. Just no.

Some of their decisions I flatly do not agree with. And having a DUCHESS to lead them, that's a pacifist? Goes against the whole damn CULTURE. KT be damned!

Again, i'd rather of them taken the angle of Mando vs Mando, not these prissy boys who call themselves mandos. Sorry I just do not agree with TCW. And I never will.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler

Ventessel
03.25.2013 , 06:08 PM | #25
And be grateful that people are still willing and able to contribute and expand Star Wars lore - rather than writing them off and 'kicking them aside' because they makes minor changes, which, let's face it, are improvements.
Star Wars is one of those great collaborative efforts that seems to take the best of everything it's offered and trim the fat every so often. Keeping things fresh with new content, but also occasionally cleaning up the lore and canon to keep everything coherent and of high quality.

The Mandalorians seen in TCW are a vast improvement over Travesty's work with them. They were great in KotOR as the conquering clans, but like any culture, it only makes sense for them to undergo some kind of change in response to the currents of history. For them to remain static is just boring and repetitive.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

ImmortalLowlife
03.26.2013 , 07:08 AM | #26
[I don't get what the whole fuss was about.

TCW sounded and looked like a kids cartoon to me.]

My uncle who was 74 when he died once told me "U don't stop watching cartoons because u get old, u get old because u stop watching cartoons. " That said, even tho I'm 38yrs old my kids & I have seen every episode of TCW. They weren't really SW fans until the clone wars cartoon. And They were just as upset as I was to hear it was cancelled. There were a lot of great stories told within that series.
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

Server: The Shadowlands/ Guild~The Elite Imperial Guard & Order of the Light~

Eillack
03.26.2013 , 07:11 AM | #27
Overall the show was a poor excuse of representing this era, but there were a few good moments maybe during this version of Clone Wars.

But yes, ending the show, and having Disney kill it off along with a number of Star Wars video games is just wrong.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

FROIDBUSTER
03.26.2013 , 07:45 AM | #28
Even in its' original form the Clone Wars was just an excuse for big battles and CGI, all subsequent iterations are pretty much hamstringed by that and the simple fact that the "Tragedy of Darth Vader" will overshadow them the same way it did the Episode I-III films.

Not to downplay what TCW has managed to do with what they were given, from what little I saw of season 2-3 it definitely had its' moments. But did anyone really expect this version of the Clone Wars to really go on for much longer? As is the writers had broken from the film canon straight away and were more or less completely ignoring all other forms of media that established the Clone War period (i.e. other clone war series, books, games, etc.). And especially since all of it takes place in a tiny time period between Episode II-III... there isn't really much else they could have done with the series without just making up filler episodes with more subplots.

Doctoglethorpe
03.26.2013 , 07:59 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by ImmortalLowlife View Post
[I don't get what the whole fuss was about.

TCW sounded and looked like a kids cartoon to me.]

My uncle who was 74 when he died once told me "U don't stop watching cartoons because u get old, u get old because u stop watching cartoons. " That said, even tho I'm 38yrs old my kids & I have seen every episode of TCW. They weren't really SW fans until the clone wars cartoon. And They were just as upset as I was to hear it was cancelled. There were a lot of great stories told within that series.
I watch cartoons too. In fact its pretty much all I watch. But I agree CW is childish. Its not childish because its a cartoon, its just childish. My evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ke8xhrkx0s

Ok, so using a season one jar jar focused episode isn't that fair, but the series did stuff like that a lot, and yes, that is kiddy materiel.

Only some arcs rose above that crap and did something remotely respectful, and so I only care about a few of the arcs and not really the overall show.

Beniboybling
03.26.2013 , 12:40 PM | #30
Point is this. They could of gone more of Skirrata like Mandos instead of what i consider just an affront to Mando Culture.

Jesus seeing something like that name a Mandalore that would not be rolling in his grave. It took the who set up for those who trained the clones and just took a huge dump IMO. I refuse to watch TCW for the simple fact it's not just retconning.

It just dumps on the SW universe. I mean seriously, bringing back MAUL? Guy is cut in half and they bring him back? Sorry and having him basically take out Mandalore and put death watch under his control, yeah...no. Just no.

Some of their decisions I flatly do not agree with. And having a DUCHESS to lead them, that's a pacifist? Goes against the whole damn CULTURE. KT be damned!

Again, i'd rather of them taken the angle of Mando vs Mando, not these prissy boys who call themselves mandos. Sorry I just do not agree with TCW. And I never will.
Here's the problem here, your making a mistake that many seem to regarding those issues. Writing something off because in your opinion it does not seem 'logical' without actual judging the quality of the result.

For example: What the hell is wrong with a pacifist Mandalore community? Apart from it being completely against Mandalore culture (which is an excellent plot device AKA a plus). Its funny because most of the arcs revolved around this very 'argument' if you can call it that, with Death Watch being outraged and the New Mando's attempting to justify there position. NOTE: Its called variation, not everyone likes the same old same old done again warrior culture.

Futher example: Maul was by far one of the best characters in the entire series, he brought excellent plot devices to the series, was perfomed by IMO the best voice actor in the series, was superbly scripted and altogether played a major part (as did the New Mandos) in one of, if not the, best episode in the series which far out ranks any of Traviss' work or anything same old same old warrior culture could of brought. Case in point.

Unless of course, you can think of an excellent, diverse story in which a traditional Mando culture would bring. My first thoughts are: Jedi come to Mandalore, stuff happens, Republic blast them into oblivion. End arc.