Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Double XP, Ilum, & Concern

TUXs
03.22.2013 , 09:11 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by FearlessTeapot View Post
The idea is that it impacts the integrity of the game. Provide people with such a bonus as to make all other methods of levelling obsolete, and it 'cheapens' the achievements of everyone else. Whether that matters to you or not is another story.

A far more extreme example of this would be like getting a college degree. If it took you 4 years to complete, would you complain that the next year they reduced the requirement to 1 year?
This is a game, not college. Your comparison is apples and oranges. 1-50 takes a good player less than a week. 1-50 on Ilum isn't nearly as quick as you suggest and there's no "cheapening" involved. The ONLY unique part of grinding a new toon is the flipping class quest - 10-15% of the quests at best - and that STILL can be run by a level 50 player.

Also...don't be so proud of your online "achievements"...they aren't nearly as impressive as you seem to think they are.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

FearlessTeapot
03.22.2013 , 09:26 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
This is a game, not college. Your comparison is apples and oranges. 1-50 takes a good player less than a week. 1-50 on Ilum isn't nearly as quick as you suggest and there's no "cheapening" involved. The ONLY unique part of grinding a new toon is the flipping class quest - 10-15% of the quests at best - and that STILL can be run by a level 50 player.

Also...don't be so proud of your online "achievements"...they aren't nearly as impressive as you seem to think they are.
If you weren't so interested in being condescending, you may have noticed that I never said I was proud of the achievements, and I believe I explained that the college analogy was an extreme example... but yes, the concept is identical. I took a neutral tone in my explanation, and simply gave the most logical argument for why this is a concern for some people.

In fact, I'm of the opinion that the whole thing is a non-issue. To me, TOR is an extreme example of a theme park MMO, there is very little depth to anything here. I don't care if this unexpected XP windfall comes back or not - but to suggest that it is not a windfall is silly. People do level up far quicker with the illum boost and the XP boost coupled together. 20 hours was the common claim, of sitting in a large group autoattacking mindlessly - opposed to the previous 40 hours from the most knowledgable people with levelling routes planned out.

astrobearx
03.22.2013 , 09:35 AM | #13
The idea is that it impacts the integrity of the game. Provide people with such a bonus as to make all other methods of levelling obsolete, and it 'cheapens' the achievements of everyone else. Whether that matters to you or not is another story.

A far more extreme example of this would be like getting a college degree. If it took you 4 years to complete, would you complain that the next year they reduced the requirement to 1 year?
well if he or she can learn the same material as the 4 year person did, then yeah it wouldnt bother me at all

(in fact, there are 1-2 year colleges that do specialize this and i know there is a video game college in chicago that have you coming to school 6 days a week to achieve this).

FearlessTeapot
03.22.2013 , 09:40 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by astrobearx View Post
(in fact, there are 1-2 year colleges that do specialize this and i know there is a video game college in chicago that have you coming to school 6 days a week to achieve this).
Some degrees are easier to do this with than others, though I've heard of no accredited programs that offer a standard 4 year degree in just 1 year. Semantics accounted for, a more accurate way to say it would be to ask, what if they changed the requirement from 120 credit hours to 30.

TUXs
03.22.2013 , 09:41 AM | #15
In fact, I'm of the opinion that the whole thing is a non-issue.
Good. Then we agree.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

river_of_Gem
03.22.2013 , 09:47 AM | #16
While i do not again the power leveling at Ilum, i think those whiner do have some point otherwise why BIoware have to "fix" it ?

Masturomenos
03.22.2013 , 09:48 AM | #17

So if i work hard and become a millionaire i can then complain about people who won the lottery being bad millionaires and it shouldnt be allowed?

Would you give back the millions if you won the lottery ? Cause it was easier to get it then working for it?

Its a mmo nothing before 50 matters the game starts at 50. Regardless of how you got there. Its one thing if there is a exploit and you can cap valor like at launch when it was a requirement for gear because it let people get ahead unfairly. However no one is in a race to 50 and getting ahead is not possible all that you get is a additional way to level. If anything its what isnt done enough in mmos which is more choices of how to play.

So leveling by crafting, fps, pvp all should not be allowed because the people who quest dont like leveling in any way other then questing and everyone should play the game like you want instead of how they want?
Worlds greatest PvP guild US Army 75th R.R. "Rangers Lead the Way" Formerly (Scarybadlady & Droppinloads of Banished-Rift)(Masturomenos, Restopharian, Swalowmylight, Drwitch & More of Infernal Affairs-WoW) (Scarybadman of Imperial Affairs, Bootyhunter & Scarybdlady of Spacebar Heroes-SWTOR)

NSStember
03.22.2013 , 09:51 AM | #18
Some people just like to complain Sadly, if you look at the bulk of the forum notes, that's what you see, people complaining for the sake of hearing themselves complain.

Honestly, most of us could care less how others are leveling their characters. As long as their method of leveling doesn't break the game for others, let them enjoy the loop hole they found. Me? I enjoy the story too much to "skip through it" on Illum, but that's me (even on character 12, which I'm leveling now ~smile~).

mrdrsenorpeanut
03.22.2013 , 12:21 PM | #19
I don't really care what other people think, I am a High School football player and I love playing this game. But, between workouts and school, I have little to no time to play this game. The double xp and gree event stuff on Ilum allows me to get up into the levels that I don't get the opportunity to get to on my own. If people need/want to get to level 50 in hardly any time at all, then I say let em'.

Vember
03.22.2013 , 12:24 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by darkov View Post
I fail to see how soloing from 1-50 on story driven missions helps you learn your class any more than participating in grouped mob farming.
Not that I care either way about the Illum farming, but this comment is just stupid.