Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Petition to Name and Shame PVP Hackers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Petition to Name and Shame PVP Hackers

Icykill_
03.21.2013 , 05:00 PM | #1
I am starting this partition thread to get Bio to Name and Shame the people they catch hacking the game.
If you agree, please reply Agree

Pistols-GS
03.21.2013 , 05:04 PM | #2
Sure why not.
Pistols Shield

<S Key To Victory>

Altheran
03.21.2013 , 05:05 PM | #3
Name it "Wall of Shame" (as opposed to "Wall of Fame")

Icykill_
03.21.2013 , 05:10 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
Name it "Wall of Shame" (as opposed to "Wall of Fame")
I like it

Darcepass
03.21.2013 , 05:17 PM | #5
Agreed, they should be publically shamed, also beaten.

Bring back the stocks!

DarthBloodloss
03.21.2013 , 08:00 PM | #6
I agree.

However, greedy execs who don't play video games may not care. One could argue that they benefit more from not banning anyone, and simply allowing them to keep spending money on the game service is their best bet.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Kawabonga
03.21.2013 , 08:09 PM | #7
As long as you have video proof and not accusing someone just because he knows how to play better than you i agree.

rlamela
03.21.2013 , 08:11 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
I am starting this partition thread to get Bio to Name and Shame the people they catch hacking the game.
If you agree, please reply Agree
pretty sure if they are really hacking it wouldn't actually shame them.

Jenna'syyde

Gankstah
03.21.2013 , 08:53 PM | #9
I was accused of hacking tonight.

Apparently I was using a "stealth hack".

It wasn't that the 7 50's hunting me down had never heard of Sneak before. Or that you can use rocket boots in stealth. No no. It was because I hacked.

I'm against naming and shaming explicitly because of crap like this. I was accused of speed hacking in Void Star just last week. Because the moron's ON MY OWN TEAM didn't know there was a speed boost before the 2nd door.

If it's legit: Record it (if you can), report it and let BioWare sort it out.

There's WAAAAAAAY too many people out there unfamiliar with other classes and how to play those other classes to start taking every "hacking name and shame" thread seriously.

Termx
03.21.2013 , 09:19 PM | #10
This has been mention in other game forums before, but the reality is that it does nothing to combat cheating. There is too many negatives that outweigh the positives.

For starters, the list is never accurate on the actual number of cheaters removed. If there were 100 ban names listed, it doesn't mean 100 players were ban. It could be five or ten players that created numerous accounts over time. Unlike paid titles, anyone can make multiple accounts with a F2P title that don't require a purchase fee or a serial key.

Also you have to consider false positive bans. CSRs are humans too and can make mistakes. So even if that player gets their account back, they have to face public scrutiny because of a public name list and will always be labeled a cheater by the community, or suspected of it.

Friends that are defensive; it happens all the time. Those that gets ban, their friends/guild/etc comes to their defense on the forums or in-game chat. They also become targets of the community. It happens... friends, guild mates, or anyone associated with them become targeted by a certain few that want to take out their frustration and anger. And because of this, it leads to further workload for CSRs getting involve due to harassment reports.

And all the list really does in the end is fill a few players curiosity on who they suspect. It won't matter if they're on the list or not, some people will continue to view others as guilty no matter what. Some just lack an understanding on in-game mechanics. Some are very competitive and want to blame others for their failure. And some are just rageaholics that they want to point fingers and name someone to justify their reason.

Last but not least, you have to consider people's privacy, including privacy laws too. While I never attend law school and I'm not claiming to be an expert, I'm pretty sure this is why you don't see online sites like Amazon (for example) posting a Wall of Shame for accounts caught using stolen credit cards.