Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

magi_melcior
09.08.2012 , 05:34 PM | #481
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
this is just plain wrong. Resolve does grant immunity when the CC-break is on cooldown. Of course you must first ride out the stun that filled your resolve and not be dead when it ends. It is common in WZ for your cc break to be on cooldown, your resolve empty , be stunned 2 times consecutively (the 2nd stun usually turns your resolve bar white) and die before the 2nd stun finishes. You then get to enjoy the benefits of resolve as you sit behind the respawn door .

rather that drawing observations for the chaotic WZ environment, I recommend dueling with a cooperative opponent to test out the hypothesis. To confirm the invalidity of the above statement you need 2 players:
  1. stun victim: first he pops his CC break so it is on cooldown
  2. stunner: stuns #1 enough to fill resolve
  3. wait for the resolve filling stun to expire
  4. stunner applies another stun while resolve is still white
  5. observe whether the stun victim is stunned or not after 4

Don't take my word for it -- try it out yourself!

NOTE: of of the skills better players have is paying attention to your resolve bar and not stunning you until enough gray resolve has gone down so that when they stun you your bar is nearly full but not quite.
Ok if resolve grants immunity without having the use the CC Breaker first, then explain the following situation, which is typical of what I have seen happen, both to me and to others.
Voidstar, we're attacking and have made it to the 2nd room. I'm trying to hack the bridge control when I get stunned Juggernaut (Force Choke), it fills my resolve bar (it's gone white), i didn't have to use the CC break because some others from our team attacked him and interrupted his channel. After we killed him, we extended the bridge and ran across (me still having a full white resolve bar). On the other side is a stealthed Operative who stuns me just on the bridge (trying to set me up to be knocked off), fortunately I had CC breaker ready and got out of it (at which point resolve kicked in) but if you're right the Operative should not have been able to stun me in the first place, and yes is was a stun not a root (I do know the difference).

Recently I have been playing more on my shadow alt and using the resolve situation to my advantage, stunning someone and tricking them into using CC Break early and then re-stunning them again (Mind Maze on Shadows is deadly when done this way) even when their resolve bar is white I can still stun them, the only time I can't is when their resolve bar is slowly emptying after using the CC Break.

Maybe it's a game bug, maybe it's lag, but there are enough people posting on these threads concerning resolve issues to suggest that it is not working the way the developers intended. Many of these posters are not n00bs or morons, they know how resolve is supposed to work (they've probably read this guide which explains it very well), they DON'T need to l2p, but they all agree Resolve is not working the way it was supposed to.
ASHES OF THE ORDER THE SITH DIS-ORDER
THE RED ECLIPSE
Visit our website

SanDynames
09.09.2012 , 07:26 AM | #482
I have to agree, chain stunning is a rediculously infuriating way to die, especially when your fighting one guy, he nearly falls and then 3 stealthers jump you and you never move again.

Still, my biggest gripe is with the operatives. not sure if its just my personal experience but ahving fought against them with jedi, troopers, sith and even as another agent, they really seem OP, their stun, knife more, stun again, kinfe to death ability is the cause of most of my frustrating moments.

But overall, there is too much CC in the game when you measure it against the 1 stun breaking skill that most classes have (as far as i can remember), maybe it would be a good idea to reduce its cooldown a bit so that you dont get repeatedly stun locked?

DarthOvertone
09.10.2012 , 05:36 PM | #483
Finally, a real step in the right direction. According to the 1.4 PTS Patch Notes:

Quote:
When a player becomes immune to control due to Resolve, his Resolve meter will not start decaying until after all the current controlling effects expire (instead of decaying immediately after the immunity begins).
War Hero Alphabolt - Garbage S1 & S2-Champion Van | The Bastion
Conqueror Alphazen - Shadow | Battlemaster Alphabain - Scoundrel | War Hero Alphanoob - PT
Jung Ma | Conqueror Alphabond - Sniper | Conqueror Alphamaul - Marauder | Champion Alphafett - Mercenary
I See Your Schwartz Is As Big As Mine!

funkiestj
09.12.2012 , 12:56 PM | #484
Quote: Originally Posted by magi_melcior View Post
Recently I have been playing more on my shadow alt and using the resolve situation to my advantage, stunning someone and tricking them into using CC Break early and then re-stunning them again (Mind Maze on Shadows is deadly when done this way) even when their resolve bar is white I can still stun them, the only time I can't is when their resolve bar is slowly emptying after using the CC Break.
You make this sound like you can always do this, or at the very least, that you can do it frequently. Please FRAPS and post a link to a video demonstrating your claim above.

Quote:
Maybe it's a game bug, maybe it's lag, but there are enough people posting on these threads concerning resolve issues to suggest that it is not working the way the developers intended. Many of these posters are not n00bs or morons, they know how resolve is supposed to work (they've probably read this guide which explains it very well), they DON'T need to l2p, but they all agree Resolve is not working the way it was supposed to.
There are definitely bugs. With BW tweaking the game now and then we get new bugs to replace old ones that get squashed.

Putting aside the issue of bugs, I have an alternative theory as to why lots of people write posts complaining about resolve: People on internet forums like to complain. MMO forum folks more so than the population at large. They have to complain about something. Resolve is one of those somethings.

If the game reached some mythical state of perfection, users would still complain by the boatload because a huge segment complain as a hobby.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthOvertone View Post
Finally, a real step in the right direction. According to the 1.4 PTS Patch Notes:
Hallelujah! It is infuriating to see resolve immunity draining away while you are helpless. From a psychology standpoint this is a big improvement. (it is nice from a practical standpoint too).

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

jubaiyagu
09.26.2012 , 02:07 PM | #485
Now the resolve in 1.4 has completly destroyed pvp, its horrible atm and i hate it!
You made changes to make the game fun but guess what? it has failed horribly.
Im so angry at this change if it is not sorted then im off for good,Pffft!

Yes this was a rage post!

Letallis
09.27.2012 , 08:35 AM | #486
Quote: Originally Posted by SanDynames View Post
I have to agree, chain stunning is a rediculously infuriating way to die, especially when your fighting one guy, he nearly falls and then 3 stealthers jump you and you never move again.

Still, my biggest gripe is with the operatives. not sure if its just my personal experience but ahving fought against them with jedi, troopers, sith and even as another agent, they really seem OP, their stun, knife more, stun again, kinfe to death ability is the cause of most of my frustrating moments.

But overall, there is too much CC in the game when you measure it against the 1 stun breaking skill that most classes have (as far as i can remember), maybe it would be a good idea to reduce its cooldown a bit so that you dont get repeatedly stun locked?
You're kidding right? My main is an op and you just must be caught at the right time of full on CD's.
Mal: That's the buffet table.
Kaylee: Well, how can we be sure, u-unless we question it?

dipstik
09.27.2012 , 03:24 PM | #487
the shoot first ability will knock you down until u get up, which is kind of like a cc cuz u cant do anything, and it doesnt affect the resolve bar, then we can flash bang and then we can dirty kick... which will fill resolve typically. then we can root u and disappear so we can sap you when u try to find us (with you non full resolve bar)

if any of these are nerfed, then we will become nothing more thasn suishy meatbags unable to 1v1 anyone.

jdoubled
10.16.2012 , 09:27 PM | #488
the latest resolve fiasco has just ruined it all for me. cc has become a staple move in pvp, rather than something to use at opportune moments.

its all about cc now...they should just add a row and medal count for how many cc's you did on the window at the end of each match..."i did 300k damage and 42 stuns, sweet !"

seeing who can get their cc off first in a fight...may as well toss a coin and choose a winner that way. theres about the same amount of skill involved.

i do not believe its as simple as "waiting for the right time to use your breaker" when i usually dont live to see the resolve bar fill up. one on one i do very well but i have to stay close to other players and hope im not the one cc'ed to death when theres more than one opposing player...its just not skillful or tactical, at least not in the broader sense of pvp'ing.

you basically have to cc/get cc'ed then get the whole resolve thing overwith so you can actually use your other skills for 20 secs...yay

amoskof
10.18.2012 , 09:59 AM | #489
Last night during hutball, repeatedly I would get slowed, stunned and stopped while my resolve bar was full and/or dminishing but still white. Something is definitely rotten in the State of Denmark (no offense to the Daines, I love you guys).

Twice, with a full white resolve bar I was stopped right short of the scoring line, and then beaten to death while being chain stunned.

This needs to be fixed. I'm assuming it is just bugs, rather than by design, but these bugs reduce the fun factor fairly significantly.

--Me

NoaFlux
10.22.2012 , 12:30 PM | #490
Quote: Originally Posted by magi_melcior View Post
This is I think where the big mis-understanding with the resolve system (as currently implemented by TOR) comes from. People read through these guides, spot that one sentance, take it out of context and come to basically the wrong conclusion about what resolve is and how it works, then when it doesn't work the way they expect they complain that is must be broken.
Based on my observations from numerous WZs both as a the player getting stunned and the player doing the stunning I have noticed the following. Having a 100% full Resolve Bar does not on it's own grant you immunity from being CC'd You only get that immunity AFTER you use your CC Breaker. So if your Resolve Bar is full but your CC Breaker is still stuck on Cooldown, Resolve will do nothing for you. Most of the players who complain in threads all over this site about "Resolve being Broken, please fix" are under the mistaken belief that a full Resolve Bar automatically stops you being stunned, sorry boys and girls it doesn't
The problem mainly arises because most players have 2 or 3 CC's with cooldowns ranging between 30 & 60 seconds while they only have 1 CC Breaker with a 2 minute cooldown.
The solution (without drastically changing the game mechanics) put a buff on all players in WZs that drops the CC Breaker Cooldown to 30 seconds, but as a trade off have resolve fill more slowly (3 to 4 stuns), that way you can still stun someone but not take advantage of 2 man stun rotations to stunlock some poor muppet to death, which at best I would call unsporting at worst (if it is done maliciously) I would call greifing
I think some people need to read this.