Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

funkiestj
07.13.2012 , 07:49 PM | #471
Quote: Originally Posted by PhaedrusGrey View Post
I'm not about to run through 46 other pages of this threat but has anyone mentionned that Roots are not on Resolve? Force Leap and Leg Short are the easiest examples and literally will get you killed in Huttball. .
You don't need to read 46 pages. Just read post #1. Search for "snare" and read each sentence that mentions it.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

MbaxterBeau
07.16.2012 , 02:38 PM | #472
This is a great guide but unfortunately resolve doesn't always work.
The best MMO I have played in a long time. Not perfect but pretty close to it.

Talimar
07.16.2012 , 08:12 PM | #473
All this CC might be stunning to the pvp elite and Bioware, but regardless whether getting chain stunned till I die is working as expected or not, what it is not, is fun.

Let me reiterate that. IT'S NOT FUN.

It's not fun to be sitting there not able to take action until I die. Maybe I am being targetted, maybe I am just a poor player. Both are probably true, but that doesn't make it any more fun. Maybe you're about to flame me for my opinion (what a fool you would be), and maybe you are one of the stunning people that succeed and therefore love it. All that actually matters is how many people are actively pvping. I can tell you, the not very good players that you chain stun to death over and over, they aren't coming back. Why? because it's not fun.

TL;DR?

BEING CHAIN STUNNED IS NOT FUN.

Just my opinion, don't like it? don't respond.

Kumodomodo
07.22.2012 , 04:27 PM | #474
Quote: Originally Posted by KretanMelithorn View Post
Interesting... thanks for the post.

I've only played 2 or 3 rounds of the Warzones.. they were kinda fun, but as a Gunslinger (or turret) I had trouble getting by bearings. But, this was helpful, thanks.
Problem is this is fail because this is 1 v 1 stuff and thus a dueling technique...this whole thing goes down the poop shoot in multiple target settings being it open world or a war zone...because your dead before the meter bursts...because your allowed to be hit repeatedly and your dead . CC is given away like candy ..when it should be spec tree only...make a choice DPS or CC ... not both.

ElanSolUgad
07.23.2012 , 04:49 AM | #475
I am one of those complainers. I am seasoned PvP (nearly warlord) but as this is my first MMO I am still learning. An excellent post, most grateful. I complain as I only play a Commando, those that also play this class will know why I complain!

PatrickCMaher
07.25.2012 , 10:32 PM | #476
Ever since Neverwinter Nights (1991) CC in PvP has been an issue. You would think that after this many years a game could get it right. Especially since there are so many good ideas from players from around the world about how to work it.

That is what pisses me off the most about this game. PvP is a must for any new MMO and CC is seriously a major issue and this game has done nothing to address or fix the issues.

Resolve is broken. 100% snares are 100% Bull****. Being CCed to death by 2 players with a "system" in place is bull****. Of course getting CCed to death by 3 - More is acceptable (you should never have a chance againt those odds)

The OP based a great theory about how this resolve system should work. But lets face it, it is all a theory at this point.

OK so now my ideas to fix

just wanted to say what someone said before
CHAIN CCed TO DEATH IS NOT FUN

1) Stuns need a longer recast time to cast. These should only be broken by your "trinket" or when full resolve.

2) Roots and Mezz should always break on combat(they don't)

3) Get rid of the 100% snare this is a caster killer plain and simple.

4) even out the WZs I would suggest lvl 10- 29 and 30-49. Then of course the 50 bracket. even with the stat boost a lvl 10 going against a lvl 49 is just plain crap.

funkiestj
07.27.2012 , 02:57 PM | #477
Quote: Originally Posted by PatrickCMaher View Post
Ever since Neverwinter Nights (1991) CC in PvP has been an issue. You would think that after this many years a game could get it right. Especially since there are so many good ideas from players from around the world about how to work it.

That is what pisses me off the most about this game. PvP is a must for any new MMO and CC is seriously a major issue and this game has done nothing to address or fix the issues.

Resolve is broken. 100% snares are 100% Bull****. Being CCed to death by 2 players with a "system" in place is bull****. Of course getting CCed to death by 3 - More is acceptable (you should never have a chance againt those odds)

The OP based a great theory about how this resolve system should work. But lets face it, it is all a theory at this point.

OK so now my ideas to fix...
Since you have the perfect answer that others repeatedly ignore, I look forward to beta testing your new game in a few years. Start here.

magi_melcior
08.22.2012 , 04:43 PM | #478
Quote: Originally Posted by Felnadir View Post
When the bar fills up, the person gains immunity to further CC
This is I think where the big mis-understanding with the resolve system (as currently implemented by TOR) comes from. People read through these guides, spot that one sentance, take it out of context and come to basically the wrong conclusion about what resolve is and how it works, then when it doesn't work the way they expect they complain that is must be broken.
Based on my observations from numerous WZs both as a the player getting stunned and the player doing the stunning I have noticed the following. Having a 100% full Resolve Bar does not on it's own grant you immunity from being CC'd You only get that immunity AFTER you use your CC Breaker. So if your Resolve Bar is full but your CC Breaker is still stuck on Cooldown, Resolve will do nothing for you. Most of the players who complain in threads all over this site about "Resolve being Broken, please fix" are under the mistaken belief that a full Resolve Bar automatically stops you being stunned, sorry boys and girls it doesn't
The problem mainly arises because most players have 2 or 3 CC's with cooldowns ranging between 30 & 60 seconds while they only have 1 CC Breaker with a 2 minute cooldown.
The solution (without drastically changing the game mechanics) put a buff on all players in WZs that drops the CC Breaker Cooldown to 30 seconds, but as a trade off have resolve fill more slowly (3 to 4 stuns), that way you can still stun someone but not take advantage of 2 man stun rotations to stunlock some poor muppet to death, which at best I would call unsporting at worst (if it is done maliciously) I would call greifing
ASHES OF THE ORDER THE SITH DIS-ORDER
THE RED ECLIPSE
Visit our website

funkiestj
08.23.2012 , 05:09 PM | #479
Quote: Originally Posted by magi_melcior View Post
Based on my observations from numerous WZs both as a the player getting stunned and the player doing the stunning I have noticed the following. Having a 100% full Resolve Bar does not on it's own grant you immunity from being CC'd You only get that immunity AFTER you use your CC Breaker. So if your Resolve Bar is full but your CC Breaker is still stuck on Cooldown, Resolve will do nothing for you. Most of the players who complain in threads all over this site about "Resolve being Broken, please fix" are under the mistaken belief that a full Resolve Bar automatically stops you being stunned, sorry boys and girls it doesn't
this is just plain wrong. Resolve does grant immunity when the CC-break is on cooldown. Of course you must first ride out the stun that filled your resolve and not be dead when it ends. It is common in WZ for your cc break to be on cooldown, your resolve empty , be stunned 2 times consecutively (the 2nd stun usually turns your resolve bar white) and die before the 2nd stun finishes. You then get to enjoy the benefits of resolve as you sit behind the respawn door .

rather that drawing observations for the chaotic WZ environment, I recommend dueling with a cooperative opponent to test out the hypothesis. To confirm the invalidity of the above statement you need 2 players:
  1. stun victim: first he pops his CC break so it is on cooldown
  2. stunner: stuns #1 enough to fill resolve
  3. wait for the resolve filling stun to expire
  4. stunner applies another stun while resolve is still white
  5. observe whether the stun victim is stunned or not after 4

Don't take my word for it -- try it out yourself!

NOTE: of of the skills better players have is paying attention to your resolve bar and not stunning you until enough gray resolve has gone down so that when they stun you your bar is nearly full but not quite.

Iowagrey
09.08.2012 , 05:33 AM | #480
As I said in a post, the pvp has become a stun arena instead of shootout battles. Using a CC breaker at the right time doesn't help me if the next enemy can cc me too. It's a crappy system and should be rethought. For me weapons battles are way more fun than stunning each other, isn't it more fun to win/lose fighting instead of being executed while defenseless? The game has way too much stun/resolve bs in it. I played WOW for years and have been here for some time now, don't consider myself inexperienced player as you call us. It's just not fun or fair the way it is. Complexity can be a good thing but I think you're killing the game putting resolve/stuns as such a major part of it. Maybe it's time to head back to WOW.