Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

2x hypercrates (48 packs) = 2 cartel certificates

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
2x hypercrates (48 packs) = 2 cartel certificates

Glowrod's Avatar


Glowrod
03.20.2013 , 11:16 AM | #21
I don't understand gambling addictions, but clearly people have it. I play the Powerball and MegaMillions, but I ONLY buy one ticket for each. But when I'm there buying the ticket, there are people in line that buy the scratch offs and step asside to see if they won, then get back in line to buy more. They are there before I arrive and after I leave. It's really sad.

VIP Lounge Member

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
03.20.2013 , 11:19 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by RuQu View Post
That the gambling packs are exactly that does raise a question about the ethical and legal issues surrounding online gambling and gambling addiction. Since it costs real money but doesn't reward anything you can convert back to money, the legal side is probably fine (and I'm sure their team of lawyers checked), but the ethical issue still remains.

Some people feel compelled to keep pulling the arm on that slot machine because "maybe this time!" It's one thing when it's just the artifact boxes bought with tokens from in-game play, its another when it is boxes you buy with real world cash.
This is a succinct explanation of my viewpoint. Thank you Ru.

When these started showing up on the CM, I was hoping that they wouldn't become very popular. Unfortunately, the opposite is the case -- many players seem to be buying these in droves. From EA's perspective, it's a runaway success and they will continue to push the packs.

*sad*

RuQu's Avatar


RuQu
03.20.2013 , 11:26 AM | #23
At the very least, they should cap the number of Packs/Hypercrates a person can buy per week. Just the gambling packs, it shouldn't apply to the "fixed cost for fixed product" purchases. Some people will surely complain "If I want to spend $600 a month on packs, that's my right!" but the flipside is that it puts a control in place to prevent gambling addiction issues. It also puts a cap on the number of crates that appear in-game in a set time frame, which puts an upper supply-side limit on the economy.
Brushing off the dust on my Assault Cannon. Time to get back in the fight.

JimG's Avatar


JimG
03.20.2013 , 12:07 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Toxxo View Post
Hello
I finally gave in and decided to purchase not one but two hypercrates. I thought "48 packs should definitely snag me 4 certificates". But it didn't. It only got me 2 certificates.
Guess you're unlucky then. I bought 2 hypercrates and I received 10 certificates.

Quote: Originally Posted by RuQu View Post
At the very least, they should cap the number of Packs/Hypercrates a person can buy per week. Just the gambling packs, it shouldn't apply to the "fixed cost for fixed product" purchases. Some people will surely complain "If I want to spend $600 a month on packs, that's my right!" but the flipside is that it puts a control in place to prevent gambling addiction issues. It also puts a cap on the number of crates that appear in-game in a set time frame, which puts an upper supply-side limit on the economy.
People really need to stop with all this "gambling" nonsense. Leaving aside the fact that these packs are not deemed to be "gambling" under the law because you can't receive anything of actual monetary value, people are obviously just shouting as much as they can about "gambling" under some misguided belief that this will somehow make BW and EA get rid of the packs. It's not gonna happen.

Anyone who thinks that these packs have anything to do with "gambling addiction" just doesn't get it. People with gambling addictions are placing calls to their bookies and making trips to the casinos. They get a rush from winning and their decisions have nothing to do with what they can afford to spend or the odds of them winning. There's a massive difference between someone blowing their paycheck at the casino for the thrill of winning compared to some guy buying a bunch of Cartel packs because he specifically wants Revan's Mask and has nowhere near the credits to afford it off the GTN. That has nothing to do with gambling and that person should be permitted to spend whatever amount they want to buy packs to get that item. Trying to turn the "I don't like the packs" argument into some sort of public service argument against gambling addiction in an attempt to make the opposition to packs more palatable is disingenuous.

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
03.20.2013 , 12:09 PM | #25
Two Hypercrates = 7 Certs, 2 Skiffs, 3 White-black crystals, several Nethians and 2 Kolto Tanks.

RNG is Random, more at 11.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

RuQu's Avatar


RuQu
03.20.2013 , 12:15 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
People really need to stop with all this "gambling" nonsense. Leaving aside the fact that these packs are not deemed to be "gambling" under the law because you can't receive anything of actual monetary value, people are obviously just shouting as much as they can about "gambling" under some misguided belief that this will somehow make BW and EA get rid of the packs. It's not gonna happen.

Anyone who thinks that these packs have anything to do with "gambling addiction" just doesn't get it. People with gambling addictions are placing calls to their bookies and making trips to the casinos. They get a rush from winning and their decisions have nothing to do with what they can afford to spend or the odds of them winning. There's a massive difference between someone blowing their paycheck at the casino for the thrill of winning compared to some guy buying a bunch of Cartel packs because he specifically wants Revan's Mask and has nowhere near the credits to afford it off the GTN. That has nothing to do with gambling and that person should be permitted to spend whatever amount they want to buy packs to get that item. Trying to turn the "I don't like the packs" argument into some sort of public service argument against gambling addiction in an attempt to make the opposition to packs more palatable is disingenuous.
Having lived with a roommate with gambling addiction, I can honestly say you have no idea what you are talking about.
Brushing off the dust on my Assault Cannon. Time to get back in the fight.

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
03.20.2013 , 12:25 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by RuQu View Post
Having lived with a roommate with gambling addiction, I can honestly say you have no idea what you are talking about.
Well, my aunt and her cat both had gambling addiction and they cured it just by giving away all their money.

My anecdotal story negates your anecdotal story.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

RuQu's Avatar


RuQu
03.20.2013 , 12:35 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
Well, my aunt and her cat both had gambling addiction and they cured it just by giving away all their money.

My anecdotal story negates your anecdotal story.
I'm sorry you are coping so poorly with the loss of basic human interaction and empathy.
Brushing off the dust on my Assault Cannon. Time to get back in the fight.

islander's Avatar


islander
03.20.2013 , 12:44 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Toxxo View Post
Hello
I finally gave in and decided to purchase not one but two hypercrates. I thought "48 packs should definitely snag me 4 certificates". But it didn't. It only got me 2 certificates. I'm a little bit peeved. I don't mind paying money for stuff and I'm also a subscriber (6 month recurring) but the drop rate for these certificates seems really really harsh - I'm not going to pay for two hyper crates just to get a mere 2 certificates. I hope that Bioware will loosen the purse strings a little for future customers. Sorry for moaning, but it's been bugging me for a week and I needed a little moan hehe.
LMAO. You are exactly who BEAware loves. So much money for make believe stuff - dropped at random
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
03.20.2013 , 12:45 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by RuQu View Post
I'm sorry you are coping so poorly with the loss of basic human interaction and empathy.
I'm not responsible for the bad habits of others. And neither is Bioware/EA.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.