Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Now what is real balance?

Wolfninjajedi
03.22.2013 , 12:19 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Spartanik View Post
You cant blame people for that. Its what the supreme source of Lucas canon meaning the movies shows to the audience.
There is also the movie novels, which is on the same level.(You can only have actors and effects do/show so much..especially in that time) Not to mention other sources where people can look to within the movies timeframe. But ya I suppose the average movie-goer/fan wouldn't look any deeper.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Euphrosyne
03.22.2013 , 01:34 PM | #12
Balance is just a platitude for people to deploy in support of their own ideological or realpolitical aims, something as true in Star Wars as it is in the real world. It's also never particularly clear why a "balance" should even be desirable. Historically, the state of being of an "imbalance of power" between various countries has sparked wars - but so has a "balance of power". And in Star Wars, if Anakin and Luke Skywalker really did put the Force into balance by their actions during the Battle of Endor, those actions do not seem to have made the galaxy appreciably safer or less violent.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil

Hoech
03.22.2013 , 06:08 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Spartanik View Post
You cant blame people for that. Its what the supreme source of Lucas canon meaning the movies shows to the audience.

Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
There is also the movie novels, which is on the same level.(You can only have actors and effects do/show so much..especially in that time) Not to mention other sources where people can look to within the movies timeframe. But ya I suppose the average movie-goer/fan wouldn't look any deeper.
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoech View Post
See... there is actually a pretty interesting point to be made here if you ignore alot of the EU stuff. If you take the movies at face value, and stand alone, then come the end of RotJ there truly is balance. Consider that Luke never truly completed his training and therefore isn't a true Jedi. That leaves him as a Hero (granted a force sensitive one) using the teachings of the Jedi to accomplish a goal. With Vader and the Emperor dead the Sith order is gone. With Obi-wan and Yoda dead the Jedi order is gone. A.K.A Balance.

On a side note... this scenario also means Anakin did fulfill the prophecy, seeing as Vader's suicide/murder of the Emperor redeemed him to be Anakin once more.

Like I said IF you disregard other sources and look only to the movies.

Wolfninjajedi
03.22.2013 , 07:14 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoech View Post
Like I said IF you disregard other sources and look only to the movies.
Except I wasn't speaking of this whole balancing thing, merely pointing out that Luke wasn't ill trained or skilled. Even if you just go by movies, time still does pass in which things are not shown which taking that into account Luke is still well trained.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Hoech
03.22.2013 , 07:37 PM | #15
I never claimed he was ill trained, merely that he hadn't completed his trial. As far as the movies say, he blew his chance at completing his trials when he went to face Vader the first time.

DarthDymond
03.22.2013 , 09:18 PM | #16
In-universe and among the fandom there are two conflicting ideologies about what "balance" means:

1: The Jedi/Light Side represent balance in the Force and the Sith/Dark Side represent imbalance/corruption. I think there's a quote from Lucas at some point supporting this interpretation. If you follow this belief, Anakin fulfilled his destiny of "bringing balance to the Force" when Luke redeemed him and Anakin killed Palpatine, destroying the last of the Sith (as far as the movies are concerned).

2: Balance is the Light Side and Dark Side of the force being in balance with each other. This is supported in a few EU sources like the Mortis arc of The Clone Wars and the end of the Legacy of the Jedi series of novels, where Luke himself comes to believe that the Jedi and the Sith orders have taken on the roles of the Daughter and the Son respectively as the embodiments of Light Side and Dark Side, after Anakin refused to become the new Father.
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain