Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Lightside/darkside choices should be revisited

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Lightside/darkside choices should be revisited

Isaantia's Avatar


Isaantia
03.21.2013 , 10:41 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthGile View Post


An example would be the dark side choice against the guy on Tatooine who begged you to save his "loved ones." He pleaded his case like these things were family members who were kidnapped. You go to the location after killing 20-30 pirates.. and it turns out to be collectible toy droids. Uhh what!? You can either give them back, with a patient humorous response... or smash the toys infront of him. The anger is justified. Not many dark side choices like that.
I kept the toy droids. I never turn in that quest.
Vev - Scoundrel | Vevy - Operative

AdmiralOnasi's Avatar


AdmiralOnasi
03.22.2013 , 12:34 AM | #12
There's one of these on Ord Mantell that's a real head scratcher. There was a Cathar refugee that stole medical supplies from the Republic at Fort Garnik. You're tasked with bringing them back because wounded soldiers need the supplies. You even find out when you go to give it back to the rightful owner that there's a guy going into shock RIGHT NOW who's going to die if he doesn't get the meds.

The light side choice is to let the refugees keep the medical supplies, so that (and I kid you not) a kid with a bellyache can get some Pepto-Bismol.

It's dark side to tell the refugees (and thieves) to go pound sand and to take the meds back to where they rightfully belong (and save the poor guy going into shock). Saving a life should never be dark side, unless keeping the person alive only leads to greater suffering.

Lodril's Avatar


Lodril
03.22.2013 , 01:04 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by AdmiralOnasi View Post
You even find out when you go to give it back to the rightful owner that there's a guy going into shock RIGHT NOW who's going to die if he doesn't get the meds.
And that guy going into shock was HITLER!

Yeah, the choices are really arbitrary, and seem downright counterfactual at times. At least there's some indication of the point gain or loss for that... some of the ones for the companion choices or other dialog are needlessly obtuse and result in bizarre situations when the dialog doesn't match the cue in choice selection.

MickyJuulke's Avatar


MickyJuulke
03.22.2013 , 05:16 AM | #14
Quote:
I remember that one. Didn't the foreman let you take the coupling, but with a tracker on it? So the old couple still sold it for a profit.
Yes, but it would be the last time as the foreman will have the blackmarket merchant dealt with, leaving the old couple without income after. I too frowned at this mission.

Quote:
There was a Cathar refugee that stole medical supplies from the Republic at Fort Garnik. You're tasked with bringing them back because wounded soldiers need the supplies.
What annoyed me here was that you actually have to collect TWO bags of supplies, so the logical solution would be to give both parties one, imho.

Blackholeskipper's Avatar


Blackholeskipper
03.22.2013 , 02:27 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthGile View Post
I remember that one. Didn't the foreman let you take the coupling, but with a tracker on it? So the old couple still sold it for a profit. And I also believe it was the old couple who said they the facility didn't need the couplings. They were assuming. The foreman pops in and tells you the bottom line. His family was endangered because of the "unneeded" couplings being looted.

I agree that many alignment choices were poorly written. I'm trying to make a gray Jedi, and almost all of the dark-side choices are just plain evil. There's only a few dark side choices in the game (Republic) which are feasible.

An example would be the dark side choice against the guy on Tatooine who begged you to save his "loved ones." He pleaded his case like these things were family members who were kidnapped. You go to the location after killing 20-30 pirates.. and it turns out to be collectible toy droids. Uhh what!? You can either give them back, with a patient humorous response... or smash the toys infront of him. The anger is justified. Not many dark side choices like that.
You raise good points that I hadn't really considered but as Micky said:
Quote: Originally Posted by MickyJuulke View Post
Yes, but it would be the last time as the foreman will have the blackmarket merchant dealt with, leaving the old couple without income after. I too frowned at this mission.
This only solves the foreman's problems but doesn't do anything for the villagers. It's still very one-sided. When forced into a choice like that, I still think choosing the villagers should be a LS choice. It doesn't have to be "the" lightside choice but it has to be an option. Besides, the foreman works for a ruthless Hutt. It doesn't matter to me that the power couplings aren't "unneeded." They're the ones that let the villagers starve in the first place. Why is the safety of his family worth more than the lives of the villagers? I just blasted his associates to get into the factory, what do I care? Plus, they're slavers too.

Also, as a BH, why would you get LS points for betraying the villagers? It's the right thing to do, if you go by the honor code the game depicts during the story (Mandalorian code, otherwise you're just another hired gun and all that).

(Conversely, I think helping the old man purify the river should also be a lightside option. It really depends on the reasoning behind your action! There should at least be 2 lightside options for that one).

Anyway, the toy quest sounds like fun. Haven't tried playing as the Republic though, except for some of the early quests. Didn't really like them

Blackholeskipper's Avatar


Blackholeskipper
03.22.2013 , 02:33 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by FuryoftheStars View Post
--On Taris, as part of my Trooper's quests, I am confronted with an Imperial war criminal at one point. Ultimately, I found I had 3 options: Kill him (dark), Kill him (dark), or let him go (light). Now, I understand why the kills are dark and the letting him live is light... but those are seriously the only options? How about arresting him so he can be tried?? He's already all but surrendered to me....
Yea, I saw a youtube vid of this and was like ??? Seems to me that a lot of the options in this game are "I'll ENJOY killing you! This will be so much fun!" or "Get outta here! Don't let me see you again!" or "You're free to go" (yea, just show yourself out, you adorable mass murderer!). Ah well.

Some choices I DO like are:
Sith Inq story on Balmorra:
Spoiler
Err there were more but my mind seems to have gone blank...

Spetulhu's Avatar


Spetulhu
03.24.2013 , 10:07 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by AdmiralOnasi View Post
There's one of these on Ord Mantell that's a real head scratcher. There was a Cathar refugee that stole medical supplies from the Republic at Fort Garnik.
IIRC the Republic contingent is largely corrupt - they're supposed to help the refugees as part of their duty but extort them instead, demanding money for distributing disaster relief supplies. Why you didn't get a chance to expose this, or put a stop to it, I can't understand.

YoshiRaphElan's Avatar


YoshiRaphElan
03.24.2013 , 10:39 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Spetulhu View Post
IIRC the Republic contingent is largely corrupt - they're supposed to help the refugees as part of their duty but extort them instead, demanding money for distributing disaster relief supplies. Why you didn't get a chance to expose this, or put a stop to it, I can't understand.
Incorrect. The Mantellian militia, as in, not the Republic soldiers, but the Republic-aligned soldiers from Ord Mantell, were corrupt. But the medicine wasn't stolen from the Mantellians, it was stolen from the Republic, ergo that was a Republic soldier dying in there. One of your brothers (if you're a trooper). Of course, I can see a smuggler giving the Cathar the medicine without a blink; at this point they have no allegiance to the Republic, except for that they're against the separatists, too. But the trooper's obvious choice should be to save their brothers/sisters.

Darth_Vicente's Avatar


Darth_Vicente
03.24.2013 , 10:57 AM | #19
The worst, to me, is on Korriban, dealing with Lord Renning and his apprentice.


Lord Renning wants you to give him the brain of a mutant Tuka'ta to prove his theories about the Force correct. This is somehow a dark sided decision, despite no harm to anyone actually coming from his theories.

His apprentice wants you to give the brain to her so she can make adjustments to the brain to "prove" her master is a fake so she can leave his service. This is somehow a light sided decision, despite the fact that she only wants to do this because she personally thinks Renning is wasting her time and talents, and you are tampering with a legitimate experiment
Grand Lord of The Sovereign Aeons Server: Ebon Hawk
The Kinslayer Legacy
Darth Nšeblis | Darth Lanfear| Lord Ra'hvin| Cipher Agent Aludra| Ziare, Imperial Loyalist|Apprentice Telv'isa'sdra|Apprentice Gwynofar|Master Lews-Therin

YoshiRaphElan's Avatar


YoshiRaphElan
03.24.2013 , 11:06 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Vicente View Post
The worst, to me, is on Korriban, dealing with Lord Renning and his apprentice.


Lord Renning wants you to give him the brain of a mutant Tuka'ta to prove his theories about the Force correct. This is somehow a dark sided decision, despite no harm to anyone actually coming from his theories.

His apprentice wants you to give the brain to her so she can make adjustments to the brain to "prove" her master is a fake so she can leave his service. This is somehow a light sided decision, despite the fact that she only wants to do this because she personally thinks Renning is wasting her time and talents, and you are tampering with a legitimate experiment
I guess because helping Renning is helping a loco Dark Lord and Dark Lords = EVIIIIL! Whereas I suppose if you help the apprentice she won't become a Sith if she can't find another Master and she'll effectively be one less Sith in the Empire.