Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's your opinion on mob-dodging in flash points?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
What's your opinion on mob-dodging in flash points?

Arandmoor
03.12.2013 , 08:15 PM | #1
We've all done it: You see a group of mobs in front of you, but there's a small path to the side of said mobs, and if you follow it you don't have to fight them. In some cases (very, very few) this is intended because the mobs are optional. However, in (IMO) most cases being able to skip the trash pack is not the intent.

But we do it anyway.

It's something you do in Rift. It's something you do in GW2. It's been something you do in WoW for years.

I have never seen it done as frequently as I do in TOR. From cutting the corner after the second flame-pipe and hugging the wall on the right in Hammer Station so you don't aggro the elite, patrolling battle droid, to swimming through lava after jumping off of a cliff on The Lost Island before the bridge with the flutterplume that spawns adds. We skip everything we possibly can sometimes.

The most egregious example I can think of is Cadimimu after the wookie boss when people simply hop on their speeders and proceed to run through the rest of the instance without killing anything (well...there are two non-boss pulls you have to kill past the elevator, plus whatever you aggro before the elevator...though an AoE knockback makes those mobs trivial).

So what's your opinion on this practice? Lame? Awesome because it makes the FPs shorter?

What would it take to make you not do it if given the chance?

bigheadbrandon
03.12.2013 , 08:37 PM | #2
My favorite was bypassing all the trash from vorgath to kephess in hardmode denova

DrewFromPhilly
03.12.2013 , 08:42 PM | #3
Ain't nobody got time for that.

jasonthelamb
03.12.2013 , 09:31 PM | #4
Mobs are useless, I know I can kill them so why waste the time when they dont offer anything worthwhile.

wainot-keel
03.12.2013 , 09:45 PM | #5
I try to avoid as much as I can when leveling (I bet I'm not the only one, lol). That crap makes leveling tedious. Why wouldn't I do the same in a flashpoint where I don't even get experience from doing it ?

Raekor
03.12.2013 , 09:52 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by jasonthelamb View Post
Mobs are useless, I know I can kill them so why waste the time when they dont offer anything worthwhile.
I think this about sums it up. They aren't a challenge, they are pretty much nothing except a time sink.

From what I have read of the PTS this is being remedied, with things dropping from all bosses (including bonus bosses that have the kill 40 of X before clicking 10 of X before it can be summoned). I think it may be the tokens, so you can reach your weekly cap in less FP's.

darkov
03.13.2013 , 02:36 AM | #7
This is why I love Funcom's approach to group and raid content, they simply leave out the trash completely, you go from great boss fight to another.

Wish BioWare would start doing that.

In fact, I think Hard / Nightmare should just be boss battles, with the trash and cut scenes removed.

JouerTue
03.13.2013 , 02:43 AM | #8
i'm not against this practice at all, but i've seen plenty of people leaving the instance because someone aggroed some mobs unintentionally..this seems to me a bit exagerated..

EvilRikard
03.13.2013 , 03:53 AM | #9
"It's the Jedi way"

Ardarell_Solo
03.13.2013 , 07:16 AM | #10
Other than most people who posted here I'm not an MMO veteran, SWTOR is my first. Been playing it since January 2012 and still just love wielding my light sabre or shooting at things with my blaster. I actually still and will always enjoy fighting trash and I love atmosphere especially in flashpoints and don't mind spending (more) time there.

And it's surely not about loot, being full dreadguard I wouldn't even need to do EC NM oder Asation HC, but of course I'm still at it, cause it's simply fun :-) And in the same way I don't mind doing Belsavis dailys regularly, just love the game and its fighting mechanics...
El'ethon (Sentinel) | Rickmyron (Gunslinger) | Alreegan (Sage)
Dacs (Commando) | Vayus (Guardian) | Craeg (Scoundrel)
<Taking the Jawas to Alderaan>
T3-M4