Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Luke (post-GrandMaster) vs Revan (post-KotOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Luke (post-GrandMaster) vs Revan (post-KotOR)

YoshiRaphElan
04.27.2013 , 03:40 PM | #91
Yeah, Luke wins this, no contest. I can't wait to see how E7 portrays Luke. I don't think he's too powerful in EU, it only makes sense the son of the Chosen One is extremely powerful, but I wonder if E7 will make him a super-powerful Jedi, or just a way-above-average Jedi.

BradTheImpaler
04.27.2013 , 03:46 PM | #92
Until the canon on this changes, if it does, Luke definitely wins, as much as I love Revan, during and post-KOTOR (well except maybe during the dreadful "Revan" novel that may more aptly/ironically appropriately be called "Scourge", although he was one of the better points). Anyway, Luke wins, for so many different reasons of raw Force power I couldn't list them all.
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

Taleek
04.27.2013 , 03:53 PM | #93
Revan wouldn't have a chance against Luke, sure he's powerful but Luke's the son of Anakin freaking Skywalker. At this point Luke is pretty much unbeatable in personal combat. Revan's done some impressive things and I'm not knocking him but putting pretty much anyone up against Luke in his prime who doesn't have crazy God-like power just isn't a fair contest imo....
*insert witty retort that will become someone's signature*- Kitty Prawn
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=347245
.- Never forget.
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

ZahirS
04.27.2013 , 05:02 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
The definition of a Mary Sue, is someone who is perfect in every single way. Luke isn't perfect, he can't do everything...if he really was a Mary Sue then why did...

1. He lose his wife? If he was perfect, he would have been able to save her.
Loosing his wife is not an intrisict trait, Luke still remains a demi-god regarless.

Quote:
2. He lost his 1st duel with Palpatine. (Rather quickly too.)
Luke still remains a super demi-god because turning to the darkside made him even more powerful

Quote:
3. He almost fell completely to the darkside, it took his sister to bring him back
Which after returning to the lightside obtained a unique power: Eletric Judgement or Lighting Storm
Quote:
4. He couldn't stop Jacen from becoming Darth Caedus.
Luke still remains a demi-god that only needs to gesture to freeze Caedus
Quote:
5. He killed Lumiya even after which he disarmed her, killing her in cold blood.
A flaw, Luke is portrayed as the "idealized Jedi"

Quote:
Having vast amount of power, doesn't make a character a Mary Sue(otherwise a good portion of fictional characters are Sue's). Luke just seems this way, because authors of the EU haven't expanded on his enemy list...his only real enemies thus far have been Palpatine(who is dead) and Abeloth.

The authors need to expand on his enemies, to give him challenges and the like. However due to what is now going on, that may not happen right now.
Agree they should expand on their enemies but also tune down Luke, those "Majestic powers" just make him unrealistic in the way they protray him in the EU, he just goes further and make him more powerful

The difference with other superpowered beigns its that usually they are don't invent more powers to make them more superpowered, has to do with realism even Superman has beaten tougher foes but not in raw power but using his abilities in the more efficient way to do it, Luke just pops new powers to defeat opponents (thats Mary Sue)

He might not be a Mary Sue by definition but he is darn close.

Wolfninjajedi
04.27.2013 , 05:24 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by ZahirS View Post
Loosing his wife is not an intrisict trait, Luke still remains a demi-god regarless.

Luke still remains a super demi-god because turning to the darkside made him even more powerful

Which after returning to the lightside obtained a unique power: Eletric Judgement or Lighting Storm

Luke still remains a demi-god that only needs to gesture to freeze Caedus

A flaw, Luke is portrayed as the "idealized Jedi"

Agree they should expand on their enemies but also tune down Luke, those "Majestic powers" just make him unrealistic in the way they protray him in the EU, he just goes further and make him more powerful

The difference with other superpowered beigns its that usually they are don't invent more powers to make them more superpowered, has to do with realism even Superman has beaten tougher foes but not in raw power but using his abilities in the more efficient way to do it, Luke just pops new powers to defeat opponents (thats Mary Sue)

He might not be a Mary Sue by definition but he is darn close.
Ok then, so there we go....however most of Luke's power is really just the normal ones only to greatly high levels. The only ones he really learned or got was Electric Judgement(however this is just speculated from what I am reading here...but w/e) and Fold Space. The others are just ones that he has used before he became Grand Master, hell even before he became just a Jedi Master.

It isn't also like he wasn't taught things, or studied. He did also learn from Palpatine too.

However I think now, they are done expanding on Luke so now they just need to give him some enemies to work with.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

ZahirS
04.27.2013 , 06:09 PM | #96
Agree with you wolf, definetly Luke EU needs some work.

I also think GM luke >Revan by large gap.

Im just trying to say basically what Drew K said about Revan, I also think GM luke>Vader by large gap. Just saying Revan should be there along with Vader as the top force users of all time.

Wolfninjajedi
04.27.2013 , 06:21 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by ZahirS View Post
Agree with you wolf, definetly Luke EU needs some work.

I also think GM luke >Revan by large gap.

Im just trying to say basically what Drew K said about Revan, I also think GM luke>Vader by large gap. Just saying Revan should be there along with Vader as the top force users of all time.
Author statements usually aren't good for determining a character, especially if said Author created said character. You can check by what Revan has done, and compare the statement, Revan is still pretty vague and his feats(aside from that one instance against Vitiate, which that feat doesn't happen reguarly) as far as combat goes are small in showing compared to Vader who has tons of showings in what he is capable of and such. He still has no defined lightsaber style, which...you'd think by now they would address that.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

ZahirS
04.27.2013 , 11:56 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Author statements usually aren't good for determining a character, especially if said Author created said character. You can check by what Revan has done, and compare the statement, Revan is still pretty vague and his feats(aside from that one instance against Vitiate, which that feat doesn't happen reguarly) as far as combat goes are small in showing compared to Vader who has tons of showings in what he is capable of and such. He still has no defined lightsaber style, which...you'd think by now they would address that.
But mostly his career in story terms is well defined, even if his lightsaber style isn't described in detail.

He was a Conqueror, Savior, Hero, he learned from both sides of the force, his story is similar to Vader in many ways, his lightsaber style is probably offensive just like Vader, I know there isn't much information on him from his author but still his feats are almost those done by Vader (Jedi purge, Conqueror, single handly defeated many jedi and sith, etc)

Beniboybling
04.28.2013 , 03:40 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Hate to support a necro, but I can't resist such an easy argument.
Aurbere! Get back to the BattleZone!

ReiKai
04.28.2013 , 06:44 AM | #100
Luke Skywalker is the Superman of Star Wars. He is as powerful as he needs to be to win when he needs to in the story. That's all. There was no point to this match since Lucas outright stated that Luke is "The most Powerful Jedi Ever".
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?