Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

paowee
03.10.2013 , 08:21 PM | #11
Just finished uploading the HD video HD! Sniper Titan 6 Scum and Villany Full Engineering !
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee
03.11.2013 , 05:35 PM | #12
I had just finished uploading a video rotation guide for full engineering . By far this is more "dot" spec than full lethality.
Plasma probe, interrogation probe, corrosive dart, shatter shot debuff, electrified railgun at 3 stacks, and you can put in Cluster bombsin the mix as well. That's 5, at the most 6 debuffs to track!

I'll post the video soon and let me know what you guys think!

paowee
03.11.2013 , 06:04 PM | #13

paowee
03.13.2013 , 05:46 AM | #14
Major overhaul and update to the guide.

Kelderek
03.13.2013 , 06:31 AM | #15
Excellent guide!

You have inspired me to go back onto the PTS to try this out. Out of curiosity which 5 points would you remove from the spec to make it viable at level 50 (for leveling) once the 2.0 patch goes live?

Any spec that does not require the need for crit chance will be handy once 2.0 goes live, I've been dreading how rough it will be to be full lethality while gearing up at 55 with such low crit chance. When I tested full lethality on the PTS, it was barely manageable energy-wise with full arkanian gear, I expect the gearing up prior to that to be more of a pain regarding energy management.

paowee
03.13.2013 , 01:35 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelderek View Post
Excellent guide!

You have inspired me to go back onto the PTS to try this out. Out of curiosity which 5 points would you remove from the spec to make it viable at level 50 (for leveling) once the 2.0 patch goes live?

Any spec that does not require the need for crit chance will be handy once 2.0 goes live, I've been dreading how rough it will be to be full lethality while gearing up at 55 with such low crit chance. When I tested full lethality on the PTS, it was barely manageable energy-wise with full arkanian gear, I expect the gearing up prior to that to be more of a pain regarding energy management.
Afaik I would just go straight up the Engineering tree. With 36 points that will let you grab Plasma Probe and Scatter Bombs. The last 10 points I will put into the bottom talents of Marks and Lethality. Or is there a level requirement attached to the higher talents? Like L55 in order to get Plasma Probe ?

I've also updated the original post for clarity more input.

paowee
03.13.2013 , 02:01 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelderek View Post
Excellent guide!

[...]I expect the gearing up prior to that to be more of a pain regarding energy management.
Back in the day I found Plasma Probe's aoe and slow component to work well while levelling. It is especially sweet to use on those clumped up mobs

BubbleDncr
03.13.2013 , 10:38 PM | #18
Man this rotation is tricky. Will take some getting used to.

Without scatter bombs: http://www.torparse.com/upload ~ about 1800 dps (when trimmed)

With scatter bombs: http://www.torparse.com/a/163516 ~ about 2088 dps (when trimmed)

I think I did slightly better dps with my clumsy attempt at this rotation than I did last week with my familiar rotation that I've been using for months on live, so I'm confident that once I get used to it I'll do even better. But apparently either I suck, or have a lot worse gear than you do since your numbers blow mine out of the water.

My tech stats are:
Bonus Damage: 1122.6
Accuracy: 109.33%
Crit Chance: 29.57%
Crit Multiplier: 60.96%
Alacrity: 2.06
~ The Orelli Legacy ~ Prophecy of the Five ~
Elys'iya - lvl 50 Sniper Arya - lvl 50 Sentinel
Lia'li - lvl 50 Powertech Alindra - lvl 50 Sorcerer

paowee
03.13.2013 , 10:56 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by BubbleDncr View Post
Man this rotation is tricky. Will take some getting used to.

Without scatter bombs: http://www.torparse.com/upload ~ about 1800 dps (when trimmed)

With scatter bombs: http://www.torparse.com/a/163516 ~ about 2088 dps (when trimmed)

I think I did slightly better dps with my clumsy attempt at this rotation than I did last week with my familiar rotation that I've been using for months on live, so I'm confident that once I get used to it I'll do even better. But apparently either I suck, or have a lot worse gear than you do since your numbers blow mine out of the water.

My tech stats are:
Bonus Damage: 1122.6
Accuracy: 109.33%
Crit Chance: 29.57%
Crit Multiplier: 60.96%
Alacrity: 2.06
My tech stats are:
Bonus Damage: 1397
Accuracy: 109.97%
Crit Chance: 21.33%
Crit Mult: 68.13%
Alacrity: 2.00%

So there's definitely gear disparity there. But looking at your log:

# of Hits in 5 minutes
(Me, You)
Ambush: 1, 0 - I used Ambush as part of the opener
SS: 5, 8 - You probably have better armor pen uptime
RS: 48, 14 - I spammed RS a lot more >_<
EP: 11, 9,
Electrified Railgun: 174, 177 - we have pretty much the same uptime on this DoT
CD: 65, 45 - I had better uptime for CD
IP: 102, 99 - close / pretty much the same use of IP
Snipe: 27, 17 - that's 10 Snipes missed! That could easily be somewhere around 30,000 more damage (in my gear if i did 10 less Snipes)
PP: 131, 122 - i had better uptime on PP but its close
SoS: 82, 70 - I did more SoS than you in the same amount of time. SoS is a big contributor to your DPS.
Scatter Bombs: 90, 70 - This is the big hitter for you. I used 4 more Covered Escape and that is huge in terms of DPS.

I highlighted the abilities that you should use more. imo working more on these abilities will bump your DPS up a lot. Especially since SoS and Scatter Bombs are your strongest abilities. Use SoS more (basically keep it on cd), same with Covered Escape, and try dump your energy via Snipes when you have AP up. Other than that, according to your log it looks like you're good on everything else! Plus you used FAR LESS RS than I did.

BubbleDncr
03.13.2013 , 11:07 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
My tech stats are:
Bonus Damage: 1397
Accuracy: 109.97%
Crit Chance: 21.33%
Crit Mult: 68.13%
Alacrity: 2.00%

So there's definitely gear disparity there. But looking at your log:

# of Hits in 5 minutes
(Me, You)
Ambush: 1, 0 - I used Ambush as part of the opener
SS: 5, 8 - You probably have better armor pen uptime
RS: 48, 14 - I spammed RS a lot more >_<
EP: 11, 9,
Electrified Railgun: 174, 177 - we have pretty much the same uptime on this DoT
CD: 65, 45 - I had better uptime for CD
IP: 102, 99 - close / pretty much the same use of IP
Snipe: 27, 17
PP: 131, 122 - i had better uptime on PP but its close
SoS: 82, 70 - I did more SoS than you in the same amount of time. SoS is a big contributor to your DPS.
Scatter Bombs: 90, 70 - This is the big hitter for you. I used 4 more Covered Escape and that is huge in terms of DPS.

Use SoS more (keep it on cd), same with Covered Escape, and try dump your energy via Snipes when you have AP up. Other than that, accdg to your logs it looks like you're good on everything else! Plus you used FAR LESS RS than I did.
Well the gear disparity is comforting. Hopefully I'll get closer numbers to yours with more practice. Keeping track of when everything is off cooldown and need to be refreshed is a lot trickier now than on live is seems.
~ The Orelli Legacy ~ Prophecy of the Five ~
Elys'iya - lvl 50 Sniper Arya - lvl 50 Sentinel
Lia'li - lvl 50 Powertech Alindra - lvl 50 Sorcerer