Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

F2P Too Hard?

Wooker
03.10.2013 , 12:01 AM | #1
I'm a regular player for swtor but, f2p seems quite degrading. I despise the exp lock and the customer service lock. it just seemed like EA wanted an exuse to make more money through cartel coins. This is my view whats yours?
Let The Wookiee Win

Refer To Me If You Want to Live! http://www.swtor.com/r/dSnBrM

DarthScruffy
03.10.2013 , 01:03 AM | #2
It's an incentive to subscribe because that limits your monthly liability at 15 dollars.

I think they designed the cash shop/F2P to maximize "per subscriber" revenue. If they can get 45-60 dollars/month out of a subscriber, their relatively static subscriber base produces revenue of a base 3-4 times as large.

If they can pick up a stray subscriber or a sucker willing to pay 45-60 bucks on the various unlocks in the Cartel store because s/he has a psychological aversion to the notion of a subscription, that's fine by them but they are really trying to get people who love SW to pony up more money for cosmetic oranges and pets.

Ghostius
03.10.2013 , 02:33 AM | #3
Fully agree with Scruffy there.
F2P is great business decision by BW/EA, their income will just skyrocket. Yes, F2P players dont like it, but in the end what - they want BW to keep making new content and they want it for free???
F2P is just a demo of the game and serves as a teaser. If you like it, you will sub - if you dont like it, you will stop playing. And this is pretty natural, players to want toplay for free and companies to make money. Noone is wrong here, its just market behaviour where both players and companies will meet or will not meet at some price.

And IMO, biggest buyers of cartel coins are subscribers who sell those items for credits on GTN. Those ppl pay sub + buy coins making BW to double their income.

KBerling
03.10.2013 , 09:38 AM | #4
My view is that if someone is giving you something for free, you should either accept it and say thanks or decline it and move on. Complaining about what you are receiving for free is not really an option. Anytime, anywhere.

Now do subscribers have the right to complain about F2P? Sure they do.

Skodan
03.10.2013 , 09:56 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by KBerling View Post
My view is that if someone is giving you something for free, you should either accept it and say thanks or decline it and move on. Complaining about what you are receiving for free is not really an option. Anytime, anywhere.

Now do subscribers have the right to complain about F2P? Sure they do.
i despise the fact that f2p/premium players think they should get the same stuff without restrictions that subscribers have. we pay, they dont
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

GrindStone
03.10.2013 , 11:09 AM | #6
I recently forced myself to play as prefered rather than subbed. It was more difficult to say the least. However, some things were more interesting too. Less taken for granted you know. You should try it at least once all the way to level 30 if you can make it that far.

1. You are nearly always sub level req for the area you are in, so you have to make friends.

2. You can not die, or you will be stuck there forever.

3. You have to fight your way in, then fight your way back out.

Wooker
03.10.2013 , 11:28 AM | #7
Thanks for the opinions it helped me understand it better thanks
Let The Wookiee Win

Refer To Me If You Want to Live! http://www.swtor.com/r/dSnBrM

FatZomby
03.10.2013 , 08:19 PM | #8
In my opinion, the subscription fee is a little high. I look at value of the games at around 6 months and generally don't like to pay to play for more than 60$ us.

If the game is really good, I will pay again after the 6 months to renew my subscription. So don't get me wrong with my first statement.

I checked this game out for about a month as a free to play player. And you can still enjoy the game mostly in pve with basically introductions to flashpoints, pvp, space combat, and other things. Granted, it is a bit harder to complete the story-lines in f2p mode, but it is still quite manageable doing it solo. The luxury is that you can still get help and assistance from anyone playing the game. So it isn't too difficult at all.

And of course there is limitations set to free to play players to encourage an investment into the game even for a small amount of time. This is understandable in my book.

In regards to new content and story into the game, I honestly think that should be allowed to all premium members anyway. It isn't because I think I should get it for free as a premium subscriber or anything like that. But rather, something that will encourage me to continue my subscription. I also think that new content should be more frequent even if the new content isn't as thorough as Makeb possibly might be.

Anyway, I have only been playing this game for a little over two months. But the stuff i mentioned above is stuff I generally look for in games when deciding to continue my subscription.

For example, I played CrimeCraft GangWars for a little over 1 year. I subscribed for 6 months. During the whole time I played the game (not just in my subscription), they never released any new material. Of course the game is centered around pvp instead of like star wars pve. But there wasn't anything new being added to the game. The only thing was the continuous re-balancing of items they already have. So changes was the only thing they did instead of adding anything new.....

And naturally, that did not entice me to invest into the game any longer as I lost interest...

So, OVERALL. If they keep making new game content , new minigames, new rewards, new outfits, new items, etc..., they will maximize the life of this game. I truely hope though that perhaps sometime in the near future that they make a storyline that isn't so linear. I would like to see things being affected by the decisions I make in the long run....

Anyway, that is what I have to say on this issue....

theUndead
03.11.2013 , 12:45 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Skodan View Post
i despise the fact that f2p/premium players think they should get the same stuff without restrictions that subscribers have. we pay, they dont
Totally agree. If ftp players want the same benefits they should subscribe it's as simple as that.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

Helig
03.11.2013 , 02:09 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by GrindStone View Post

1. You are nearly always sub level req for the area you are in, so you have to make friends.

2. You can not die, or you will be stuck there forever.

3. You have to fight your way in, then fight your way back out.
1 - did all available quests, ran a few FPs and I was on par with content. If you feel underlevelled, run flashpoints. Only final boss loot rolls are limited. You can run it as often as you like.

2 - or roll a stealth class to vanish.

3 - or roll a stealth class to sneak past respawns.

I recently levelled a Scoundrel as Preferred, fresh server - no Legacy buffs/powers/Presence bonuses. Just a naked bare-bones Smuggler with Cybertech and Scavanging. Invested my "got to the fleet" 5k credits into Terenthium, made level 9 blue armorings and sold them. Made a sizable (for a fresh newb character) budget pretty quickly. When I had enough, I bought second crew skill unlock on GTN (they can be found for 200k) and started rocking with Underworld Trading.

Perfectly doable as standard f2p, because Desh is cheap and you don't really need Scavanging, you'll just have less terenthium to go on with while making your first blue parts.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie