Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Here come the multi-boxers >.<

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Here come the multi-boxers >.<
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Andryah
03.08.2013 , 12:15 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by SteelPiranha View Post
Don't multiboxers need to use macros? I'm not an expert at this game, but I thought we can't have macros other than just normal keybinding.

Having said that, wouldn't the multiboxer need some kind of 3rd party software also?

(I've never multiboxed, so take this with a grain of salt )
No. They simply roll the same character class on multiple accounts, run them simultaneously on multiple computer and just slave all the computers to one set of controls. In effect... they are doing a single control set focus fire control on multiple characers against one target at a time. People have been doing it for years and honestly it's not against the typical MMO terms of service UNLESS they put a bot on the front end to run the controls (which I gather has in fact been a problem in WoW).

If you read the article linked by the OP carefully, you can see that the action by Blizzard was to attack botters in battlegrounds, NOT multi-boxers per se. They actually make a point to say they are ok with people who want to multi-box arenas, as long as they don't bot to do it.
Judgments are often inaccurate because the brain relies on cognitive biases over hard evidence. Cognitive bias is the tendency to make irrational judgments in consistent patterns. Researchers have found that cognitive bias wreaks havoc by forcing people to make poor, irrational judgments.

SteelPiranha
03.08.2013 , 12:21 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
No. They simply roll the same character class on multiple accounts, run them simultaneously on multiple computer and just slave all the computers to one set of controls. In effect... they are doing a single control set focus fire control on multiple characers against one target at a time.
Gotcha. I just thought the action of slaving as stated above was considered macroing/using 3rd party software...according to the TOS. I'll try to look it up tho.

Edit: From TOS - Use or distribute unauthorized "auto" software programs, "macro" software programs or other "cheat utility" software program or applications.

CinderBane
03.08.2013 , 12:29 PM | #23
Don't multiboxers need to use macros? I'm not an expert at this game, but I thought we can't have macros other than just normal keybinding.

Having said that, wouldn't the multiboxer need some kind of 3rd party software also? <against TOS
I triple-boxed in WoW and dual-box in SWTOR (not much need for more than dual-boxing in this game due to Companions).

Most MMO TOS's (including WoW and SWTOR) are structured so that multi-boxing is allowed, as they want the additional subscription/money.

While you are correct in that "macros" are against the TOS, the part you aren't aware of is that "macros" aren't needed to multi-box. Can they be used in multi-boxing? Yes, just like they can be used when single-boxing. The key is that they aren't "needed" to multi-box.

All that is needed is a small program which copies a single keystroke to two or more different game-instance windows. It does not send multiple commands to either window - that would be a macro - but rather a single keystroke for each time the user presses a key. This type of program has typically been found not to be outlaw 3rd party software as it doesn't do anything other than mirror a user's single keystroke - i.e. doesn't hack the game or allow speed boosts or other types of advantages. If it did it would definitely be outlawed. It simply allows a single user to play as if they were grouped, no hack or advantage beyond what an actual group would have.

This has been deemed fair-play by many MMO's, including WoW and SWTOR as user interaction is required for each and every keystroke - even though the same keystroke is occurring in two different "windows".

In fact, many of the programs used to do this are made specifically without the ability to perform macro actions, so they are not outlawed.

That said, I find it hard to take this guy seriously. 40 accounts? Doubtful at best. Controlling anymore than 5 accounts takes quite a bit of skill. Most I've ever heard was 10 accounts. I don't see anyone 40 boxing an MMO.

I personally am not into PVP, and I would be fine if BW disabled /follow while in PVP areas. I used multi-boxing for PVE and don't see the need for it in PVP.

CinderBane
03.08.2013 , 12:34 PM | #24
Gotcha. I just thought the action of slaving as stated above was considered macroing/using 3rd party software...according to the TOS. I'll try to look it up tho.

Edit: From TOS - Use or distribute unauthorized "auto" software programs, "macro" software programs or other "cheat utility" software program or applications.
Exactly. This type of software is not "auto", it does not automate anything at all - the user has to press a key for each and every action.

Not a "macro" program as this software only allows a single keypress, not scripted things (i.e. pusing Num 5 makes the game do 3 different attacks - this would be a macro, but this type of software does not do that.)

And it is also not "cheat" software. It provides no benefit other than allowing grouping.

SteelPiranha
03.08.2013 , 12:35 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by CinderBane;5969933ip
Oh cool, thanks for the clarification

So basically, as long as there is a user input for every action or ability then it's ok...but if you were to hit 1 key and all 40 toons did a full rotation each it would violate the TOS?

Edit: You type faster than me lol

CinderBane
03.08.2013 , 12:39 PM | #26

So basically, as long as there is a user input for every action or ability then it's ok...but if you were to hit 1 key and all 40 toons did a full rotation each it would violate the TOS?

Absolutely correct. A single action per keystroke, even though mirrored to two accounts, is fine and allowed.

Macro software or hardware that automates more than a single keystroke is banned - and in fact, doesn't matter if the user is single-boxing or multi-boxing - (i.e. you don't have to be a multi-boxer to use macros - anyone can, and they are against the rules).

EDIT: And just for the record books, I do not use macros of any type. Only single keystrokes for each action. I'd actually get too bored if I used macros cause they would make things TOO easy and then nothing would be challenging. I'm disabled, which is one of the reasons I dual-box (things aren't as easy for me as they used to be), but macros - sheesh, I'd be bored out of my mind.

CinderBane
03.08.2013 , 12:40 PM | #27

Lol. Yeah, over the years I've gotten quite fast.

Jacen_Starsolo
03.08.2013 , 01:02 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
So he's an idiot just because he can afford to invest such a sum of money into his hobby? I sense jealousy
If someone pours (probably) 50k into a game then rage quits when they change something (expecting nothing to change in an MMO is also idiotic), then yes that is an idiot. Fool and his money were parted.

Urael
03.08.2013 , 01:04 PM | #29
Not sure why but this song came to mind when I read this.

Usefulidiots
03.08.2013 , 01:07 PM | #30
Think about one guy with 4-5 smashers in a pvp match all jumping to the same target or attacking a node. Guilds or premades may have that kind of coordination, but a mutliboxer would be pretty rough to a random team or pug.