Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Developer Update: Overview of the Planet Makeb

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Overview of the Planet Makeb
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Palar's Avatar


Palar
03.08.2013 , 04:38 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Mevan View Post
No no, you misunderstand the issue. The Empire is ALREADY losing. From a story perspective, the Empire should currently be winning? Currently it's pretty much a case of the Empire retreating- I think the only planet where Imps "won" was Taris.

Imagine, for instance, that the Emperor and Darth Vader were aboard the first Death Star, thus ending the war in a single film. That's what playing the Empire feels like. Yes, the Empire will obviously lose in the end (or not, since some of their tech looks like Clone Wars era Republic tech, so maybe the two groups merge somehow?) but the point is people want to feel like there's a war going on. The Republic is essentially cleaning up what's left of the Empire atm.

Time for Satele Shan or Jace Malcom to be killed off imo.
Okay... why should it be? They'd had a string of crushing victories in the backstory, and the tide turned over the course of the game.

So now the Republic are set up to become over-confident before getting pushed back. So on and so on - how else will an ongoing two-faction story work?

Fantazm's Avatar


Fantazm
03.08.2013 , 04:44 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Mevan View Post
But please stop making up planets; plenty already exist.
This. I'm sure it's a great thrill for the writers and designers to create new things, but to be brutally honest I don't really care about how they feel about it.

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
03.08.2013 , 04:59 PM | #53
The problem with using existing planets is that they're limited in what they can write about them while trying to keep in line with existing lore. I'm not saying they shouldn't try, but it does give them a lot more creative freedom and less risk of enraging SW nerds.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Fantazm's Avatar


Fantazm
03.08.2013 , 05:07 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
The problem with using existing planets is that they're limited in what they can write about them while trying to keep in line with existing lore. I'm not saying they shouldn't try, but it does give them a lot more creative freedom and less risk of enraging SW nerds.
Shows an incredible lack of creativity on their part then.

I'm sure there's a reason why this whole timescale was set 3000 years before the films after all.

LadyDrusilla's Avatar


LadyDrusilla
03.08.2013 , 06:16 PM | #55
Wanting a clean slate that they can do whatever they want with doesn't show a lack of creativity at all. Quite the opposite. Slavishly sticking to established worlds for framework is far less creative.
This blonde loves her Hutts, the bigger, the better.

Fantazm's Avatar


Fantazm
03.08.2013 , 07:02 PM | #56
Coming up with something new and interesting within existing boundaries requires a lot more thought.

Besides there are absolutely shedloads of planets that "exist" as it is. Here is the list of complied planets that begin with the letter A:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_planets_A

That's one letter of the alphabet. One.

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
03.09.2013 , 02:18 AM | #57
It doesn't require a greater *quantity* of thought.. Obviously starting from from nothing means you have no foundation to start from. It's like putting an adding an extension to a house verses laying an entirely new foundation. It does take more work researching current established lore, though. It's particularly more difficult when we're talking about a time that takes place long before most of Star Wars official canon. Last thing you want to do is write something that will conflict with the story that has already been set to happen in the future.

If they make more expansions, they'll probably go with more already established planets at some point. At some point they need to consider what canonically happens in galaxy with this war.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

LadyDrusilla's Avatar


LadyDrusilla
03.09.2013 , 03:06 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Fantazm View Post
Coming up with something new and interesting within existing boundaries requires a lot more thought.

Besides there are absolutely shedloads of planets that "exist" as it is. Here is the list of complied planets that begin with the letter A:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_planets_A

That's one letter of the alphabet. One.
It requires a lot more effort for minimal gain, not the same thing as being more creative at all. Creating a whole new world that still fits in the Star Wars universe aesthetically and thematically is are more creative.

So someone edits Makeb into the M section and jobs done.
This blonde loves her Hutts, the bigger, the better.

Mevan's Avatar


Mevan
03.09.2013 , 03:53 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
Okay... why should it be? They'd had a string of crushing victories in the backstory, and the tide turned over the course of the game.

So now the Republic are set up to become over-confident before getting pushed back. So on and so on - how else will an ongoing two-faction story work?
If they get pushed back. The game has- in terms of story- just started. The end of the war should not be in sight already :/

Fantazm's Avatar


Fantazm
03.09.2013 , 05:40 AM | #60
Whatever, I can't be bothered to argue sematics on the internet. I don't have the time, patience or motivation for it.

I'd like to see them use existing planets. End of.