Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Space Missions are TOO DAMN HARD

Kitru
03.09.2013 , 11:26 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Knightsire View Post
Wow...I had no idea you could do that. I just use my mouse and proper timing of shield regen vs. blaster boost. I'll have to try this, but usually I do just fine using only a mouse.
The first few times I was doing the heroic missions, I relied entirely on mouse targeting/avoidance (which cut down *very heavily* on my attack uptime considering the incoming damage) and (ab)using the Conversion Module/EMP/ECM, but couldn't often manage to get full clears on all of the bonus missions and often scraped by with only a sliver of armor left. As soon as I started using WASD, I started clearing all of the heroic space missions without ever really taking any damage. The WASD isn't really *required*, but it makes those missions *so much easier*. The only thing I *don't* use is the barrel roll, and that's because I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually do anything except look slightly amusing.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Autorch
03.10.2013 , 03:43 PM | #32
I think the difficulty is just right. I found it hard at first, and I know people have done them in Grade 6 gear, but I'm not that uber and I think full Grade 7 is more realistic to make sure you have before you do these. Which the OP does have, I'm just sayin'.

But yeah. They're hard at first. It's frustrating after the other ones were so easy, I sympathize. Then after a bunch of times you start actually living, maybe not completing the objectives but at least you made it, and then you live more and more, and one day you're finding that you're not only killing it but consistently getting all the bonus objectives too. You just have to persist. It all occurs the same way every time so it's a matter of memorization more than anything.

I think the difficulty is right because even after you reach 100% completion on everything, you can't sleep through them like you could with the previous top 3. If you're not on it you'll get killed or miss the objectives. As it should be.

As a soon to be Hyperspace Legend, I think that the essential skill is having faith in what's going to happen when you pull the trigger and NOT waiting to SEE it happen. If you're aiming at a turret and you put the button down and hear/see your ship fire four shots, release the button and target your next turret right then. Those four shots will hit the turret and it will blow. You know it and you don't need to waste seconds to watch the shots impact. Target the next turret and squeeze off another four, don't bother to watch that it worked, just have faith, rinse and repeat. Eventually you'll get good enough at this that you're killing most fighters that way too.

Similarly if you volleyed missiles at four things you KNOW blow up with just one missile, like most fighters and ship turrets, don't bother continuing to fire at any of those four things the missiles are going to. The missiles don't need your help then. You should be shooting at other stuff the missiles aren't currently on their way to. On things that just have a pile of hit points like bombers, yeah, missile and shoot it if you can afford the missiles, but don't waste your shots where you don't have to.

Anyway. I like space. Sometimes it's the only thing I get to do in a given week when I'm busy, so I like that they upped the reward credits in 2.0, they should never have nerfed them to begin with. Helps a lot with keeping up with operating costs when you don't have time to play more.

GweedoBane
03.11.2013 , 03:25 AM | #33
They are certainly more difficult than previous missions. What I like is that you can't just take it in the face like you could with previous missions, it actually requires you to coordinate your abilities and move around. I complete these daily and the weekly when it falls due. I'm glad that not every man and his dog will have the space titles tbh.

My advice to you is to rewatch the vids on these missions for what you are obviously missing.

CCThrawn
03.11.2013 , 07:59 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Autorch View Post
I think the difficulty is just right. I found it hard at first, and I know people have done them in Grade 6 gear, but I'm not that uber and I think full Grade 7 is more realistic to make sure you have before you do these. Which the OP does have, I'm just sayin'.

But yeah. They're hard at first. It's frustrating after the other ones were so easy, I sympathize. Then after a bunch of times you start actually living, maybe not completing the objectives but at least you made it, and then you live more and more, and one day you're finding that you're not only killing it but consistently getting all the bonus objectives too. You just have to persist. It all occurs the same way every time so it's a matter of memorization more than anything.

I think the difficulty is right because even after you reach 100% completion on everything, you can't sleep through them like you could with the previous top 3. If you're not on it you'll get killed or miss the objectives. As it should be.

As a soon to be Hyperspace Legend, I think that the essential skill is having faith in what's going to happen when you pull the trigger and NOT waiting to SEE it happen. If you're aiming at a turret and you put the button down and hear/see your ship fire four shots, release the button and target your next turret right then. Those four shots will hit the turret and it will blow. You know it and you don't need to waste seconds to watch the shots impact. Target the next turret and squeeze off another four, don't bother to watch that it worked, just have faith, rinse and repeat. Eventually you'll get good enough at this that you're killing most fighters that way too.

Similarly if you volleyed missiles at four things you KNOW blow up with just one missile, like most fighters and ship turrets, don't bother continuing to fire at any of those four things the missiles are going to. The missiles don't need your help then. You should be shooting at other stuff the missiles aren't currently on their way to. On things that just have a pile of hit points like bombers, yeah, missile and shoot it if you can afford the missiles, but don't waste your shots where you don't have to.

Anyway. I like space. Sometimes it's the only thing I get to do in a given week when I'm busy, so I like that they upped the reward credits in 2.0, they should never have nerfed them to begin with. Helps a lot with keeping up with operating costs when you don't have time to play more.
Thanks for this. It really did give me a pick me up and helped. With that I am happy to report I finally completed every single mission, with much difficulty, but with a big sigh of relief as well. I imagine it will get easier from here?

Atramar
03.11.2013 , 08:10 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by CCThrawn View Post
Thanks for this. It really did give me a pick me up and helped. With that I am happy to report I finally completed every single mission, with much difficulty, but with a big sigh of relief as well. I imagine it will get easier from here?
Good job. Congrats.

This Thread should be linked to anyone who will ask devs to nerf space missions.
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

Hovergame
03.11.2013 , 08:59 AM | #36
I was going the simply write L2P, but since he LEARNED to pass them, I have to congratulate him.

Fubarq
03.12.2013 , 12:08 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by CCThrawn View Post
Told ya OP

Congrats!!! Now start working on those bonuses -- you get achievements for each one you complete!

Khevar
03.12.2013 , 12:41 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
... The only thing I *don't* use is the barrel roll, and that's because I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually do anything except look slightly amusing.
I could be imagining it (it's been known to happen ) but if I've A'ed to the left and moused to the left, then move the mouse to the right and press D and then barrel roll it seems to increase the chances of missing enemy gunfire. (As opposed to barrel roll in place which seems to do nothing)

After getting comfortable with the heroic space missions, I happened to run Drexel Sweep on a toon I was leveling. Previously, this mission used to be moderately difficult when not overgeared. But I managed to dodge enemy fire so well that I didn't take a single tick of shield damage until I reached the first capital ship.

Autorch
03.13.2013 , 07:49 AM | #39
I think I would agree on the helpfulness of barrel rolls. I think that you kind of expect that it does something magical, like you're invulnerable to blaster fire for the 2 seconds or less that the ship is rolling, but that is obviously not the case.

I believe at this point that it really actually does what it does. It's not just a cute graphical effect. It really will evade an incoming shot because your ship really is moving and so is its hitbox. In other words if a shot was coming at your dead center and you rolled at the right moment, the shot would miss because you were rotating around that center point. It's a real dodge and not a fake one.

Thing is that incoming fire happens so fast, and the ship is so big relative to the screen, and the roll loop so tight, that you can just as easily roll into a blaster bolt that wasn't going to hit you, as you can roll out of a bolt that was.

I think the end result is what's already been said--it tends to be helpful but not by very much most times, and it's not necessary to use at all to have 100% completion on these missions.

Fazaani
03.13.2013 , 09:12 AM | #40
Takes few tries to get the pointers and tacs that u should mind about for each mission and then its just repeating as before. Still its funny for a change that u can die if you don't focus!

So seemed hard at first... now just part of the daily routine.
The Firkraag legacy
Firkraag, also known as Lord Jierdan Firkraag, was a red dragon living in the Windspear Hills in Amn and masquerading as a human noble.