Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How much DPS should a sniper be doing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
How much DPS should a sniper be doing?

Nyysjan
03.08.2013 , 05:58 AM | #11
Well here is my speck.
I could drop Siege Bunker, it's pretty useless in almost every fight, ever, but don't really see any of the talents i could get being worth ~200dps i seem to be missing.
Here's the parse of my last ops.
adding orbital strike to my rotation might help a bit, if/when the fight stays in one place long enough to get more than 2 ticks in, which seems to happen, oh, about never.
As for mods, i might gain more power, and reduce some crit from switching mods around, but as i've gone mostly to high cunning mods, it would be a minor gain at best.

Having killed all the ops bosses on hardmode with my guild, i can't say i'm too worried about my dps.
But having read people talking about 1,7k dps on their snipers, i can't help but feel that hovering at 1,4k to 1,5k is not doing all i could for my guild.
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudKiller View Post
Agent: "If you want a door smashed down call a Sith Warrior, if you want a door blow to pieces call a Bounty Hunter, if you want the key to the door and the knowledge of what lies beyond it then you call me."

verfallen
03.08.2013 , 07:23 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Nyysjan View Post
Well here is my speck.
I could drop Siege Bunker, it's pretty useless in almost every fight, ever, but don't really see any of the talents i could get being worth ~200dps i seem to be missing.
Here's the parse of my last ops.
adding orbital strike to my rotation might help a bit, if/when the fight stays in one place long enough to get more than 2 ticks in, which seems to happen, oh, about never.
As for mods, i might gain more power, and reduce some crit from switching mods around, but as i've gone mostly to high cunning mods, it would be a minor gain at best.

Having killed all the ops bosses on hardmode with my guild, i can't say i'm too worried about my dps.
But having read people talking about 1,7k dps on their snipers, i can't help but feel that hovering at 1,4k to 1,5k is not doing all i could for my guild.
You are most likely around 1,6k on the dummy, based on your numbers.

Siege bunker can be nice, in some fights. In others, its a waste of 2 points dps wise that would be better off boosting your EP and OS.

As far as number goes, MM sniper damage IS less than Lethality.

A slightly harder hitting spec would be 25/16/0, basically more powerful orbitals, mostly MM but with EP being energy positive and a nice DoT to add. I've parsed 20-30 dps higher than pure MM with it, slightly behind lethality.

Your numbers will clear any HM content right now. Its hard to know accurately, I believe an ops dummy is a good way to check people's dps is good before trying to find an issue with raiding.

Also, MM can work OS in their rotation better than most. However some fight require you to be crafty about it. Ex: delay it on the horror to drop it on the adds, on the DG, heirad stay there, for max result drop it after ciphas's shield. On ciphas, wait till tank swap, and do it just after.

If you really want the "best dps" spec however, single target its not MM as of now. 2,0 seems to significantly buff it however.

As an exemple, pure MM with my current gear is only hitting 1280 on the ops dummy.

Svii
03.08.2013 , 10:35 AM | #13
Guess I'll just brag/educate in this thread too, haha!

MM Sniper is, IMO, a bit harder than the other two specs to perform well in. This is mainly because of movement and when **** hits the fan where you suddenly have to run around like a chicken you do almost no damage. The Hybrid and Lethality build at least have some dots going, it makes them more forgiving (on your dps) as long as you understand and take care of your energy levels.

The key to playing MM is knowing the fight. Minimize movement, maximize damage. Think ahead 10-30 seconds.

Search me up on Torparse.com for some of my logs, you'll see that it's not too shabby once you get it (mostly) right!

Click my sig for current build, perfect for MM and Hybrid.
Another thing, you can't compare torparse.com rankings directly. Tactics and how fast/smooth a boss is executed will greatly impact your own total DPS, for better or worse, the hundreds of DPS even if you do the same thing every time.

Edit: To the guy above, change your high Cunning mods/enhancements to low endurance types. It does have a great impact.

Verfallen is correct, the Hybrid is the highest DPS spec for Sniper.. Might be in 2.0 as well....... Too bad really :/

verfallen
03.08.2013 , 10:51 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Svii View Post
Guess I'll just brag/educate in this thread too, haha!

MM Sniper is, IMO, a bit harder than the other two specs to perform well in. This is mainly because of movement and when **** hits the fan where you suddenly have to run around like a chicken you do almost no damage. The Hybrid and Lethality build at least have some dots going, it makes them more forgiving (on your dps) as long as you understand and take care of your energy levels.

The key to playing MM is knowing the fight. Minimize movement, maximize damage. Think ahead 10-30 seconds.

Search me up on Torparse.com for some of my logs, you'll see that it's not too shabby once you get it (mostly) right!

Click my sig for current build, perfect for MM and Hybrid.
Another thing, you can't compare torparse.com rankings directly. Tactics and how fast/smooth a boss is executed will greatly impact your own total DPS, for better or worse, the hundreds of DPS even if you do the same thing every time.

Edit: To the guy above, change your high Cunning mods/enhancements to low endurance types. It does have a great impact.

Verfallen is correct, the Hybrid is the highest DPS spec for Sniper.. Might be in 2.0 as well....... Too bad really :/
Someone is compilling various parse for all dps, and it seems it all balance very well, safe the hybrid PT/vanguards.

MM top parse is currently slightly above lethality, and close to the hybrid.

Even better, 46 skill points allow you to get BOTH FT and Cull, and it might be a very well rounded spec. At any rate, they greatly improved the mechanics around FT.

Svii
03.08.2013 , 12:00 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
Even better, 46 skill points allow you to get BOTH FT and Cull, and it might be a very well rounded spec. At any rate, they greatly improved the mechanics around FT.
Oh dear!

paowee
03.08.2013 , 12:55 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
Someone is compilling various parse for all dps, and it seems it all balance very well, safe the hybrid PT/vanguards.

MM top parse is currently slightly above lethality, and close to the hybrid.

I'd just like to add that that parse had a lucky string of crits. :P If we can get more people to push Lethality it'd be curious what numbers that spec will end at. Im currently busy practicing Engineering And can't wait for the reset next week so I can come in and fight Dashroode, Titan and the Arena boss with a rotation other than hitting everything that comes off cooldown >_<
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee
03.08.2013 , 01:05 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Svii View Post
Svii even though it is the highest DPS spec for the Sniper, imo HM S&V's fights are too tailor made for MM. I am only able to run Hybrid for 1 out of the 7 bosses in S&V. And 2 out of the 7 imo is going to be dominated by MM (imo)

IMO
Dashroode = If you are on adds , MM
Puzzle boss = Hands down definitely MM for the puzzle phase before the actual boss fight Try it out for yourself
Last boss = Too many target switches. Constant resets. Adds that spawn and must be bursted down asap. A haven for MM Snipers.

Ofcourse if you can have yourself stay on the boss instead of doing adds, then Hybrid all the way. With the exception of Puzzle boss and Kell Dragon/Last boss. I've ran both MM and Hybrid spec in HM S&V (although only 3 times, with some SM here and there).

Council (Cartel Warlords) boss = I respec to Hybrid. It really shines in this fight.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

verfallen
03.08.2013 , 05:09 PM | #18
No argument from me.

Don't take me wrong, I enjoy the numbers I get from leth/eng, but my prefered spec is MM. Much more "sniperish" and less of a sapper with a shiny gun. For solo PvE its also much more potent since the burn potential on a strong and its lackey far outshine the set up lethality need.

The one good point about lethality in solo pve, is when I encounter a mob that bust me out of cover with a smoke grenade, I very much enjoy the whole "really? Tell me more about it. *cull*" part of it.

Come 2,0 I'll parse it again, and chance are I'll revert to full MM or an MM hybrid. Altough 23/0/23....mmmm.

Still, if full MM ends up being within 50 dps of the hybrid, I'm sold. The burst, the easy target switch and easier energy management are all very attractive...

And again, heck you actually FEEL like a sniper.

Svii
03.08.2013 , 07:45 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Svii even though it is the highest DPS spec for the Sniper, imo HM S&V's fights are too tailor made for MM. I am only able to run Hybrid for 1 out of the 7 bosses in S&V. And 2 out of the 7 imo is going to be dominated by MM (imo)
I love your 2.0 thread, stalking it

Not going to make an effort on 2.0 PTS just yet, it's a month away.. I hope.. So I'll just say that the most important thing for now is to know as much as possible about yourself and what (boss) you're facing. DPS-meters will always be e-peens, but if you can pull through before enrage it's all good, it's a team victory after all!

Just want to say one thing.. After playing Sniper since beta, I'm still enjoying it! Hell, I even made an Operative and the story was even better this time around.

RikuvonDrake
03.09.2013 , 10:34 AM | #20
Running the hybrid specc and my gear is 60% Blackhole/Campaign and 40% Dreadguard/Hazmat, here is my latest parse that I made for a guide for my guild: http://www.torparse.com/a/155749/1/0/Overview
Dread Master - Deposer of The Dread Masters - Conqueror of the Dread Fortress
Not Good Enough | Rikacha - Rikachu - Rikachi - Rebel Dream | Riku
Ruthless | Susannah - Fauna - Wildthorn - Krewel - Montör
Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd