Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

03.06.2013 , 10:15 AM | #231
Quote: Originally Posted by Missandei View Post
Yes. And when your account is blocked due to the numerous failed hack attempts... guess what? You have to dial to the Bioware CS that already proved as a total bull..t..
Have you prepared to a 5hrs waiting on the line to just get reset your account to be allowed you to log in?
No, they have thought beyond the need for the 5 hour queue. If someone attempts to log in to your account the first thing the website does is compare their location to the last location YOU logged in from. If it's not the same it assumes it's NOT YOU who is logging in. That person then has 4 or 5 attempts to guess your password. If he fails then the account is locked for HIS IP, not YOURS. You will still be able to log in just fine

If somehow the attacker guesses your password before it's locked they STILL can't log in. They would need to know the answer to the one of the security questions you filled in when you made the account.

I know most forum posters think they're smarter than the devs but as Phillip said they've already considered all these scenarios and have systems in place to prevent them.

03.06.2013 , 10:15 AM | #232
I will not claim to be security expert like many here do (I do have some knowledge), and I remain neutral on this subject.
Display name login has been working since F2P launched (or maybe even since lvl 15 trial), and it didn't seem to cause any problems, people just did not know about it.

What I am concerned about however, is that this seems one more step away from including something I really wanted, and that is Origin overlay in game, to be able to chat with other people in other EA games...
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd and Czech Alliance, Red Eclipse
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

03.06.2013 , 10:28 AM | #233
personally, i dont like the idea of using a display name rather than an email adress, but ive used EA games for a long long time and ill trust their judgment

03.06.2013 , 11:05 AM | #234
My two pence (cents)

Allow accounts to change their account name now before this is mandatory. Some users have awkward user names that I am sure they don't want to have to type in each time (unless they use a password manager). I myself would like to change is to something i would rather be seen as however the email I sent to CS via the account page gave me a few weeks later a cut and paste response and nothing happened.

Allow users to modify their user name under the EA/Bioware global account option as seen on the main EA website or via this website I honestly don't mind but please allow us to change the user display name asap.

03.06.2013 , 11:13 AM | #235
As has been stated earlier in the thread, we've been able to use our display names to log in for a while now. At the moment you can either use your email or display name, after 2nd April you'll only be able to use your display name so technically it's increased security by getting rid of one of the options.

That said, I have to agree with the general consensus that if anything should be used it should be the email address as this is not publicly available, or the ability to have a separate forum name.

03.06.2013 , 11:14 AM | #236
The fact that we have it to where we can log in with out forum handles now is quite ridiculous. I don't know about you, but I don't want ANY part of my login information on public display.

Whoever made this decision, please have them fired....out of a cannon into the sun.

03.06.2013 , 11:18 AM | #237
Quote: Originally Posted by Kail_Shefned View Post
...Person B's account is going to become locked out, is it not?
It is not, please see 5 posts above

03.06.2013 , 11:24 AM | #238
So after having to go through the hassle of creating a new email address - still no idea what that was about - now I use an ID that's readily available!
which dumb tweet came up with that idea?

03.06.2013 , 11:32 AM | #239
How do I change my Display Name?

03.06.2013 , 11:33 AM | #240
If this is happening, why is it happening? what is the problem with the way it is now?
The Guardians of Peace