Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Andryah
03.05.2013 , 10:02 PM | #191
Quote: Originally Posted by Jagrevi View Post
A question - I may be losing the email address associated with this account in the course of the upcoming year. Will this change allow me to (or affect my ability to) change the e-mail address associated with this account?
This change will have no affect on how you manage your email address for your account.

All it does is remove your email address as a component of login to your account or the servers.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

WorldSecurities
03.05.2013 , 10:20 PM | #192
It is tempting to give Phillip Holmes the benefit of the doubt, in matters of computer security. He does have an adequate security background.

Phillip Holmes (impressive public record) LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/phillipholmes

But then he showed favor to 'doing security on the cheap.'

Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post
So in case you haven't come across me before (most haven't!), I'm Phillip Holmes, the Senior Manager of Security here at Star Wars: The Old Republic.

We did look at using a secondary 'login only' display name, but sadly this would create more confusion and increase costs associated with support of the new system rather than decrease existing support costs .
Sony did that in 2011. And the repercussions continue.

Well, we'll see if anything happens in the next few months.

Casual computer users might find this article of interest.

Kill the Password: Why a String of Characters Canít Protect Us Anymore
MAT HONAN, 11.15.12
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...ssword-hacker/

And keeping a low Internet profile helps.

It takes a village to kill a password
John Fontana, February 21, 2013
http://www.zdnet.com/it-takes-a-vill...rd-7000011638/

"Or were passwords stolen from Twitter or any number of other* repositories hacked in the past 24 months or so (LinkedIn,Facebook, Apple, Zappos, Sony) the source of the passwords?"

Indeed.

/*

"What's in YOUR wallet?"

BanRau
03.05.2013 , 10:25 PM | #193
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Please be aware that beginning on April 2, 2013, logging in to the game or website will require your Display Name. Email addresses will no longer be accepted; your Display Name will be the only accepted option.

Read More
That has got to be the worst move I've ever heard of. Why is it that if you are going to change the login that you make us use the name that we subscribe under instead of letting us log in like we have been with our emails? You came out with these devices that attach to our key-chains that give us a number to enter as our Security Key and our emails and passwords to go with it and you're changing it. Why didn't you do this when the game was first released instead of doing it now after all of this time, tell me that? This makes no sense.

tausser
03.05.2013 , 10:39 PM | #194
I find it strange that the game and the forum use the same log-in and password.
It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

pdevisser
03.05.2013 , 10:51 PM | #195
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Please be aware that beginning on April 2, 2013, logging in to the game or website will require your Display Name. Email addresses will no longer be accepted; your Display Name will be the only accepted option.

Read More
Curious how my email account tagged the notification as spam... Even my email system knows this is a sketchy idea.

Ozena
03.05.2013 , 11:00 PM | #196
If this is for real I'm done.

MajikMyst
03.05.2013 , 11:16 PM | #197
Quote: Originally Posted by Ozena View Post
If this is for real I'm done.
It for real.. In fact you all can do it now.. I have already switched to using my display name over email.. The game and website already allow the switch.. April is when it will become mandantory..

I fail to see why this is a cause to be upset though..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

MajikMyst
03.05.2013 , 11:19 PM | #198
Quote: Originally Posted by tausser View Post
I find it strange that the game and the forum use the same log-in and password.
Why?? You use the website to manage your game account and also to buy things like Cartek coins.. The website is merely an extension to the game.. It makes sense that they are the same..

MajikMyst
03.05.2013 , 11:21 PM | #199
Quote: Originally Posted by pdevisser View Post
Curious how my email account tagged the notification as spam... Even my email system knows this is a sketchy idea.
That would be a problem with your email settings.. Just saying..

Logathor
03.05.2013 , 11:39 PM | #200
Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post

I'm a security expert and would love to take up that challenge - but then I have access to internal tools and can tell you the answer
I can guarantee however that your email address is used on multiple sites. We don't control the security of 'all the sites' and as a result whenever another site that is using email address is hacked and your details disclosed, that the attacker will know who to phish or similar. Not so true for a Display Name that most people don't always get to use on every site they visit...
Not everything you think is 'hidden' truly is.

Arrogant and unprofessional response
In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft