Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jtrop
03.05.2013 , 04:43 PM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
April Fools?
I think that is why they are doing it on April 2nd, so it is not April Fools.
Jka Quotes-- " is it just me or are rodians kind of creepy" Mercenary
" and Jan punches the weeqway right in the" Kyle katarn 9/3/12

Andryah
03.05.2013 , 04:45 PM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by brewski View Post
read between the lines people. They are implementing some form of mobile two factor authentication wherein your email address will be used to confirm your login when connecting from a new computer. Therefore your email address can't be your login, or hacking your email will circumvent the security here.
qft.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Yoshiru_Airken
03.05.2013 , 04:51 PM | #143
Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post
So in case you haven't come across me before (most haven't!), I'm Phillip Holmes, the Senior Manager of Security here at Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I will be posting a more detailed synopsis of the upcoming changes in the next few weeks - I just have one or two ducks left to line up before I do that.

Some responses below - apologies if I don't reply to every question...
Thank you for responding to these concerns. Though I would personally rather log in with e-mail, I understand your reasons and am therefore satisified. Thank you for being active in communication with the players!

*crosses fingers for the ability to change Display Name however*

noobzor
03.05.2013 , 04:53 PM | #144
One concern that I have is that it seems this is opening up a way for people to "grief" each other by intentionally trying to log into someone else's account and failing a number of times, resulting in the account getting locked out. Currently, the only way to re-enable the account is to call customer service.

I, personally, don't want to have to call customer service to get my account re-enabled over and over again if someone decides they want to pick on me. That would be enough to make me not want to play this game anymore.

Are there any plans to address this scenario?

Leonalis
03.05.2013 , 04:54 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by VarKoE View Post
The point your missing is how do u know only bioware has your email and where else can that information be found?

Also on a macro level how many people use the same email address and same password for other log ins. And who controls that?

email accounts are routinely phished. Its false security to think it is hidden at a macro level.

Good change. And not a shock since rmt are tied to the account now.
Maybe you can explain: why

Blizzard changed the login from login-name to email and said: this is more safety
Bioware changed the login from email to login name

Logic!

And blizzard has a liitle bit more user and my email adress on the battle net is additional my login to sc2 and D3 and wow

PeterGun-SWE
03.05.2013 , 04:54 PM | #146
Big thanx for the replys Phillip_BW

And since this topic is about security and you are the Senior Manager of Security, i hope you dont mind me asking:

When will we in Europe and Asia-Pacific be able to buy Physical Security Keys?

And please dont give me that baloney that its possible via the Origin Store, or even via the US Origin Store... cause they dont ship outside the US.

Glzmo
03.05.2013 , 04:57 PM | #147
Would it be possible to add Display name aliases that are displayed in the forum but differ from the display name used for logging in? That would alleviate many security concerns people are having with this new system.

chuixupu
03.05.2013 , 04:57 PM | #148
Quote: Originally Posted by noobzor View Post
One concern that I have is that it seems this is opening up a way for people to "grief" each other by intentionally trying to log into someone else's account and failing a number of times, resulting in the account getting locked out. Currently, the only way to re-enable the account is to call customer service.

I, personally, don't want to have to call customer service to get my account re-enabled over and over again if someone decides they want to pick on me. That would be enough to make me not want to play this game anymore.

Are there any plans to address this scenario?
Considering that display names currently already work as logins, it's not like anything is changing there.

Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Would it be possible to add Display name aliases that are displayed in the forum but differ from the display name used for logging in? That would alleviate many security concerns people are having with this new system.
This would be a nice idea. I probably wouldn't have chosen this username if I had know it was all I could display on the forums.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Leonalis
03.05.2013 , 04:57 PM | #149
In switzerland you can buy physical keys.

Tatile
03.05.2013 , 04:59 PM | #150
Quote: Originally Posted by PeterGun-SWE View Post
Big thanx for the replys Phillip_BW

And since this topic is about security and you are the Senior Manager of Security, i hope you dont mind me asking:

[SIZE=""]When will we in Europe and Asia-Pacific be able to buy Physical Security Keys?[/SIZE]

And please dont give me that baloney that its possible via the Origin Store, or even via the US Origin Store... cause they dont ship outside the US.
It would be nice to know when this is going to be addressed, as if my current one breaks I can't replace it (and getting it removed sounds like a terrible hassle in itself.)