Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

bigheadbrandon
03.05.2013 , 02:48 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post
You should log on to Steam again - they currently only use the equivalent of DisplayName, and that name is what you are known as to all your friends (and in the community section of Steam for that matter).[/color]

That actually is false, yes you can choose to use your account name as your display name but it is entire possible to go by a completely different name (which in most cases is what people are doing). I can assure you my steam display name is not my account name.

Andryah
03.05.2013 , 02:50 PM | #102
So in case you haven't come across me before (most haven't!), I'm Phillip Holmes, the Senior Manager of Security here at Star Wars: The Old Republic.

/snip

I just want to take a moment to say thank you or taking time to provide sensible and rational responses to some of the hysteria in this thread. Responses like yours really do help tamp down the hysteria and eliminate the frushtration accociated with it.

Nicely handled too.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

AbsolutGrndZero
03.05.2013 , 02:52 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by RikHar View Post

All this is, is another attempt to copy WoW.

IF you are going to try to turn this into a bash on WoW, at least get your facts straight first. I do not log into World of Warcraft with my display name, I use my email . So, this is not some attempt to copy World of Warcraft.

Again, get your facts straight before you open your mouth.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Andryah
03.05.2013 , 02:53 PM | #104
True Story:

The login manager ALREADY allows you to use your forum handle OR your email address. They are simply removing the email address option (which given how poorly some people manage their own email security, is an intelligent action on Bioware's part).
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

MrSchmo
03.05.2013 , 02:58 PM | #105
So in case you haven't come across me before (most haven't!), I'm Phillip Holmes, the Senior Manager of Security here at Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Thanks for the very detailed response. You have put me to ease with your post. The change seemed odd but I'm sure it will be better in the back end.

That's for the other security tips as well. I'll be looking into those. Thanks.
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.

Bomyne
03.05.2013 , 03:02 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Please be aware that beginning on April 2, 2013, logging in to the game or website will require your Display Name. Email addresses will no longer be accepted; your Display Name will be the only accepted option.

Read More
I need three pieces of information to log in. My username. My password. My authenticator. You are willing giving one of those away to potentional hackers and the other two are easy to overcome. Wow. Really? This is actually worse than Blizzard's real name on the forums thing.

Alduinsm
03.05.2013 , 03:04 PM | #107
Given that logging in with Display Name has been in place since FTP launched and i rarely heard of anyone that got hacked in Swtor. So whatever BW is doing,it's working as far as i'm concerned.
@Phillip: Thank you for the response.
Shin

OrshabaalLord
03.05.2013 , 03:06 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Bomyne View Post
I need three pieces of information to log in. My username. My password. My authenticator. You are willing giving one of those away to potentional hackers and the other two are easy to overcome. Wow. Really? This is actually worse than Blizzard's real name on the forums thing.
How is the authenticator easy to over come?
The Harbinger

OrshabaalLord
03.05.2013 , 03:06 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Alduinsm View Post
Given that logging in with Display Name has been in place since FTP launched and i rarely heard of anyone that got hacked in Swtor. So whatever BW is doing,it's working as far as i'm concerned.
I have not even heard of anyone getting hacked from SWTOR, *crosses fingers*
The Harbinger

Burning-Beard
03.05.2013 , 03:11 PM | #110
You should log on to Steam again - they currently only use the equivalent of DisplayName, and that name is what you are known as to all your friends (and in the community section of Steam for that matter).
Err... what? The account name that I use to log in to Steam, the name I display for my page in Steam's community section (steamcommunity.com/id/<name>), and the name I display on my friends list are all completely different.