Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is the Cartel Market killing the need for crafting??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Is the Cartel Market killing the need for crafting??

bayoudrummer
03.04.2013 , 06:43 PM | #1
I have recently returned to SWTOR and the first thing I notice is the over saturation of cartel items being sold on the GTN. I feel that crafters are loosing the battle of making money in the GTN. For example, cybertechs can craft mounts but the ones that are available to craft are crap compared to the ones being sold from the Cartel Market. I guess I am just hoping BW makes crafting worth it after lvl 50. Please if you have a counter argument or if I am not seeing the big picture, let me know so I may feel a bit better about this.

Daynna
03.04.2013 , 08:51 PM | #2
No, I don't think you are too far off in feeling that way. They pretty much killed any chance, what little there was, for cybertechs to make money selling mounts.

Khevar
03.04.2013 , 08:51 PM | #3
When 1.6 was in the hopper, I was looking forward to crafting the new grade 7 spaceship parts. When 1.6 dropped to live, the spaceship parts were also added to the cartel market. Two things happened:

1) Anyone with spare cartel coins that wanted to run the space missions bought them on the CM.
2) Anyone with spare cash lying around bought extra spaceship parts and listed then on the GTN.

After about a day, it became impossible to craft and sell spaceship parts as the real-cash sellers were undercutting way below crafting cost.

In my experience, there are three ways to make money on crafting:

1. Craft grade 27 schematics (current BiS stuff)
2. Craft leveling equipment (level 10-45)
3. Sell raw mats.

Also, due to 2.0 being on the test server, the Grade 27 gear has taken quite a dive.

YMMV.

psandak
03.07.2013 , 09:35 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
When 1.6 was in the hopper, I was looking forward to crafting the new grade 7 spaceship parts. When 1.6 dropped to live, the spaceship parts were also added to the cartel market. Two things happened:

1) Anyone with spare cartel coins that wanted to run the space missions bought them on the CM.
2) Anyone with spare cash lying around bought extra spaceship parts and listed then on the GTN.

After about a day, it became impossible to craft and sell spaceship parts as the real-cash sellers were undercutting way below crafting cost.

In my experience, there are three ways to make money on crafting:

1. Craft grade 27 schematics (current BiS stuff)
2. Craft leveling equipment (level 10-45)
3. Sell raw mats.

Also, due to 2.0 being on the test server, the Grade 27 gear has taken quite a dive.

YMMV.
You missed Augements . I sell blue quality augments consistently and persistently (at about an average of 12k per) from both synthweaving and armormech (the four primary stats and defense). And I have made millions doing it. Not overnight by any stretch, but with patience it works.

PariahMessiah
03.07.2013 , 01:57 PM | #5
And 2.0 is gonna be the nail in the coffin for crafting. Can't make the good raid gear (only with a decent profit margin). Just need an alt that can make your augments (all Power for Heals and DPS of course since Crit got hamstrung and shield/absorb for tanks.)

Enjoy Biochem.

dorpen
03.08.2013 , 01:19 AM | #6
Great so all the veterans rich from crafting pre-nerfs just have to move on and the new people from F2P are screwed... Oh wait, this encourages them to buy cartel packs for easy starting money and gives the vets things to blow money on. Great.

Zorash
03.08.2013 , 01:47 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by dorpen View Post
Great so all the veterans rich from crafting pre-nerfs just have to move on and the new people from F2P are screwed... Oh wait, this encourages them to buy cartel packs for easy starting money and gives the vets things to blow money on. Great.
How are f2p people screwed? You can still sell low level items for cash. People need to stop exaggerating information,

dorpen
03.08.2013 , 06:32 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorash View Post
How are f2p people screwed? You can still sell low level items for cash. People need to stop exaggerating information,
You don't deny or refute the major point in my post.

JamieKirby
03.08.2013 , 08:31 PM | #9
Don't forget about the 9-49 leveling bracket, you could make a bucket load of credits if you crafted all sorts of stuff and sold them for a reasonable price, like say at the price of the crafting x2.

Remember patience is a virtue, the main problem with the crew skills is not the crew skills themselves, but the players claiming them to be useless, maybe at endgame they are, but if you looked at the 9-49 area of the game, you will make alot more credits then you think.

but hey if you are just thinking of how many 0's you can put on your profit margin, then sure, its killed crafting.

Khevar
03.08.2013 , 09:55 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by dorpen View Post
I'd say that the 300k credit limit for F2P is a greater barrier than anything else.

A friend of mine is FTP, he learned the Deft Mod 27 schematic, and yet he can't sell it for more than 300k due to the limits. Your outrage is pointed in the wrong direction entirely.