Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper's role in Huttball?

DroidDreamer
03.04.2013 , 04:28 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterFeign View Post
specced leg shot is a god send in huttball. I love it. It drives me nuts on my assassin (along with the jk/sw jump mez), but it works, very well.

The great thing with MM and staying at mid is that it almost doesn't matter who you're targetting cause they're gonna get melted by you.

Interestingly enough, a lot of times, enemy stealthers at the very beginning of the game seemingly decide to seek you out, when they should be doing other things. Which is both a good and bad thing they go after you, haha.
Yes, to all of that. As to the second point: killing peeps at mid... It almost doesn't matter who you kill (I still think the BC, heals and enemy runners are top priorities) because you just need to keep the bad guys away from mid. If they run behind cover, that's fine. They won't be there to get the next respawn or waylay your BC and you've weakened them if they come back in or given them a "time out" by forcing them to go heal.

Legshot, Flashbang, Cover Pulse and the knockdown nade are how you give people a "time out" especially if you don't break the CC with damage. Time outs, not kills, are how you win the game; kills just send them to the respawn. Time spent away from the ball is a huge penalty in Huttball. Never chase a kill into the pit. Knock guys into the pit, wait for the Cover Pulse 5 root to expire, then Legshot them, then Flashbang, and so on, then they STILL have to walk all the way out of the pit. Don't break your own CC with DPS. Use it to give them a timeout.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

BaineOs
03.04.2013 , 06:13 PM | #22
Quote:
Never chase a kill into the pit
I am so guilty of that it's just hard to resist if it's someone you know
Es'carli D'Lakutos
Level 1 - 65, three disciplines, three characters, one video

MasterFeign
03.04.2013 , 06:18 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DroidDreamer View Post
Yes, to all of that. As to the second point: killing peeps at mid... It almost doesn't matter who you kill (I still think the BC, heals and enemy runners are top priorities) because you just need to keep the bad guys away from mid. If they run behind cover, that's fine. They won't be there to get the next respawn or waylay your BC and you've weakened them if they come back in or given them a "time out" by forcing them to go heal.

Legshot, Flashbang, Cover Pulse and the knockdown nade are how you give people a "time out" especially if you don't break the CC with damage. Time outs, not kills, are how you win the game; kills just send them to the respawn. Time spent away from the ball is a huge penalty in Huttball. Never chase a kill into the pit. Knock guys into the pit, wait for the Cover Pulse 5 root to expire, then Legshot them, then Flashbang, and so on, then they STILL have to walk all the way out of the pit. Don't break your own CC with DPS. Use it to give them a timeout.
Haha, I realise the healers are priorities and whatnot, I just find burst so helpful, that if anything you'd outheal anything they can do. (Hence the "generally)

Plus I'm not always alone at mid, always someone else there to help kill.

stringcat
03.05.2013 , 03:48 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by BambulaGTS View Post
Depends if it normal warzone or rated.

In normal wz you just pew pew pips (what else sniper can do) sitting high as duck.

In rateds you just pop entrench before ball pillar, praying for heals and wait for taking the ball after first (and consequent) score. If there is no score in the nearest future, you just do as always - pew pew sitting high.
Why wouldn't you do that in normals too? It's not LESS effective, and picking up the ball is still pretty key to victory. (Though ball carriers aren't quite as invincible.)
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

BambulaGTS
03.05.2013 , 05:50 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by stringcat View Post
Why wouldn't you do that in normals too? It's not LESS effective, and picking up the ball is still pretty key to victory. (Though ball carriers aren't quite as invincible.)
Because in normals - solo queue u will not get peels/heal and usually get wtfpwned in 3 sec. In normals 4 man queue u would have min 2 of your pips going forward with the ball inc healer so all "support" you will get is probably your another dps.

justdrop
03.05.2013 , 05:54 PM | #26
Standing on the ledge and pewing me (healers) ><
I heal, I tank. I want to stop but I can't.

stringcat
03.06.2013 , 10:19 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by BambulaGTS View Post
Because in normals - solo queue u will not get peels/heal and usually get wtfpwned in 3 sec. In normals 4 man queue u would have min 2 of your pips going forward with the ball inc healer so all "support" you will get is probably your another dps.
That's not my experience at all, even queuing with one other person. (I don't solo on my sniper.) They should be in position to receive the pass across the lower or upper firepit. If they're not, they just scored a goal and most of the enemy (probably) will be closer to the endzone, giving your buddy or someone else a chance to get back in position to receive a pass.

Shield probe should get you the 20m or so you'll (at max) carry the ball. (Or situationally -- marauders, marauders everywhere- you can just hang out in cover with the ball waiting for someone to get to a good place on the upper ramps) Worst case scenario, you reset. Snipers have enough CC to survive long enough to pass, unless you are so outnumbered at mid that picking up the ball was a no-win scenario for any class.

You don't NEED huge support - much less a dedicated healer -- to live in normals. If you're only living for 3 seconds, you're not using all the tools at your disposal.

BambulaGTS
03.06.2013 , 10:57 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by stringcat View Post
That's not my experience at all, even queuing with one other person. (I don't solo on my sniper.) They should be in position to receive the pass across the lower or upper firepit. If they're not, they just scored a goal and most of the enemy (probably) will be closer to the endzone, giving your buddy or someone else a chance to get back in position to receive a pass.

Shield probe should get you the 20m or so you'll (at max) carry the ball. (Or situationally -- marauders, marauders everywhere- you can just hang out in cover with the ball waiting for someone to get to a good place on the upper ramps) Worst case scenario, you reset. Snipers have enough CC to survive long enough to pass, unless you are so outnumbered at mid that picking up the ball was a no-win scenario for any class.

You don't NEED huge support - much less a dedicated healer -- to live in normals. If you're only living for 3 seconds, you're not using all the tools at your disposal.
May be it is true for you.

In my universe on normals:
- sniper carrying the ball = dead piece of nothing
- sniper sitting on center with no entrench (and u save it for score, because why u should even sit there) = smash > smash > vicious throw.

stringcat
03.08.2013 , 12:21 PM | #29
You don't need to sit indefinitely on the ball spawn. There's several seconds between a score and the spawn; even more between a likely score and the huttball spawn.

DroidDreamer
03.08.2013 , 04:14 PM | #30
The only time you pick up the ball is if none of your other teammates are there to get it. You are best placed up high at mid -- ready with your root, flashbang and, yes, you can drop the knockdown 'nade directly below you -- to help your team get the ball.

If you are alone at mid you might have to get the ball yourself to buy time. If so, run away from the enemy toward their goal line (if they are left, go right, etc.), even into the pit, and then RESET the ball if you have no one to throw to. You'll die but you'll have bought time for your team to get back to mid. This is a position game. You are moving the ball toward the enemy goal line, away from yours. If you can sucker some guys to chase a kill into the pit before you reset, that's bonus points for your team.

Another time you can pick up the ball: If your team is doing it's job and camping the enemy in their platforms and end zone, you might have to start the relay: get the ball and pass to the closest friendly player.

Perhaps the most common time you will pick up the ball is if you are alone at mid and the ball is reset accidentally -- usually this happens when one of the teams throws a ball and no one catches it. These unexpected resets are part of the reason you should be camping mid ALL the time. But if your team is working, you should have help at mid and should not be solo.

Jumping down to get the ball causes you to lose your height/anti-leap advantage so only do so when it's called for. Generally, running the call is not your job except under very limited circumstances and even then you need to have the mindset of passing ASAP.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.