Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Wearing Heavy Armor is actually a handicap in this game.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Wearing Heavy Armor is actually a handicap in this game.

Individual
02.26.2013 , 01:42 PM | #1
Why? The other classes that wear both light and medium have far better defensive cool downs. The only time it's benifical to have is when you're taking. Besides that, wearing heavy armor as dps sucks. All the defensive cool downs the other classes get on short timers far out weighs having better armor - espcially when some of the classes have abilities that midgate most of your dmg abilities. I'm a BH and all I get is a shield I can pop ever 2 mins for a cooldown, thats it...

I know tanks will benifit from the heavy armor, but the DPS people need better defensive cool downs to compete with some of these other classes. I'm not saying we should get something op, but something on a shorter timer would be nice.

Tommot
02.26.2013 , 04:28 PM | #2
Yes it does seem a bit strange that Marauder has a stronger defense than DPS Juggernaut.
Roswin - 50 Jedi Sentinel | Vaelin - 50 Sith Juggernaut | Kordis - 50 Sith Marauder | Vaelis - 50 Sith Assassin | Tylus - 50 Sniper
| Vint - 43 Mercenary | Kiden - 35 Vangaurd | Skavic - 22 Jedi Sage |

Khevar
02.26.2013 , 07:40 PM | #3
Are you talking about for leveling or end-game flashpoints / operations?

I ask because once you hit level 50 and start progressing in end-game, you should be part of a group that includes the Trinity. Played properly, your dps character should be taking minimal damage, as most of should be directed towards the tank(s).

Helig
02.27.2013 , 09:23 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Tommot View Post
Yes it does seem a bit strange that Marauder has a stronger defense than DPS Juggernaut.
I'd say that a Marauder has better defensive cooldowns than *tank* Juggernaut. Cloak of Pain uptime to mitigation is much better than Invincible. Undying Rage is better than Endure Pain in almost every way imaginable. Not even taking into account Obfuscate which does not affect Ops bosses and Camo because it drops aggro (but mitigates 50% of a heavy nontargeted attack).

As for the original post, yeah. Heavy armour is overrated. Realistically, raw armour bonus is about 5% between heavy and medium.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Defecter
03.01.2013 , 12:29 PM | #5
Heavy armor does give you ridiculous amounts of Cool Points™ compared to those skirt wearing pansies

Linyivee
03.01.2013 , 09:38 PM | #6
rofl... My avatar has a heavy armored sport bra. Even though the sports bra provides great defense, the dps I am getting from lightsaber strikes is almost nonexistent. I am currently playing a Sith Juggernaut. I get more dps from my Jedi Sage and Sith Sorcerer.

I wish I had a heavy armored sports bra in real life.

*shrugs*

At least I look good on the battlefield.

SavageSock
03.07.2013 , 11:33 AM | #7
Well seeing as how a DPS should be worried about damage output and not their defensive cooldowns, I don't see the issue here.

As an advanced class with a tank tree, you'll gain some naturally tank like abilities, however their effectiveness is usually improved via the tanking skill tree. The DPS trees of the Tank classes do usually have 1 or 2 passive skills that you can invest some points into, in order to make up for the time length for the cooldowns on some their defensive abilities.

However, Heavy Armor does a lot for damage mitigation. Try checking the % of Damage Reduction that you get from your armor next time you play on a DPS with Med, or Light armor, and then compare that to you a DPS that uses Heavy Armor.

Either way, if you're playing DPS, then worry about killing things FASTER. Not SURVIVING. Your Survival will be guarantee'd at end game if you let the tanks do their jobs.
Savagesock - Sith Lightning Sorceror
Ziost - Defense Guardian
Xed'iss - Sniper Agent
Member of Beta Squadron 238

Transflux
03.07.2013 , 04:38 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Linyivee View Post
rofl... My avatar has a heavy armored sport bra. Even though the sports bra provides great defense, the dps I am getting from lightsaber strikes is almost nonexistent. I am currently playing a Sith Juggernaut. I get more dps from my Jedi Sage and Sith Sorcerer.

I wish I had a heavy armored sports bra in real life.

*shrugs*

At least I look good on the battlefield.
You're doing something wrong.

Never_Hesitate
03.08.2013 , 07:18 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Individual View Post
Why? The other classes that wear both light and medium have far better defensive cool downs. The only time it's benifical to have is when you're taking. Besides that, wearing heavy armor as dps sucks. All the defensive cool downs the other classes get on short timers far out weighs having better armor - espcially when some of the classes have abilities that midgate most of your dmg abilities. I'm a BH and all I get is a shield I can pop ever 2 mins for a cooldown, thats it...

I know tanks will benifit from the heavy armor, but the DPS people need better defensive cool downs to compete with some of these other classes. I'm not saying we should get something op, but something on a shorter timer would be nice.
Here is a list of all the defensive cooldowns a sorc has in an alphabetical order:
-
End

Where are these great def cd's you spoke of?
(I know that we get one with 2.0 which in reality is there to take us completely out of combat for it's duration, you could even say it's a selfapplied cc)
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, Caphalør Sorc, Kindarya Assa, Leonië PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

Themanthatisi
03.08.2013 , 11:00 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Defecter View Post
Heavy armor does give you ridiculous amounts of Cool Points™ compared to those skirt wearing pansies
LOL... Im heavy Armor and I wear a skirt!