Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dps or Tank

Canavet
02.24.2013 , 08:05 AM | #1
I know this is a bone headed question... But I get asked if I am a DPS or Tank. I really don't know and I'm a lvl 20 Sage. How can I tell?

Eternalnight
02.24.2013 , 08:18 AM | #2
First of all, nobody can tell you your role just by your class / advanced class since that is not what determines your role.

Your role is determined by which skill tree you specialize into, and then of course you have to gear up accordingly too.

That being said, needless to say, Sages do not have tank tree at all.

Just look at the skill trees and their descriptions.

1 skill tree is healer and other 2 are dps

Canavet
02.24.2013 , 08:26 AM | #3
Thank you!

sumuji
02.24.2013 , 11:03 AM | #4
Each advanced class has 3 choices to fill one of the 3 roles. Tank, DPS, and Heals. There's no advanced class that can do all of them. Normally it's a choice of two types of DPS and the 3rd choice is either tank or heal. For Sage it's Heal.

KBerling
02.24.2013 , 02:27 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by sumuji View Post
Each advanced class has 3 choices to fill one of the 3 roles. Tank, DPS, and Heals. There's no advanced class that can do all of them. Normally it's a choice of two types of DPS and the 3rd choice is either tank or heal. For Sage it's Heal.
I think your message might be a little confusing for some new players.

Not all advanced classes can tank. Not all can heal. And not all can truly DPS.

6 of the 8 get a choice with DPS always being 1 of the 2 options. The 2 pure-bred DPSers get no real choice except in style of attack.

WaldoA
02.24.2013 , 02:30 PM | #6
In my opinion I wouldn't fit yourself into any role atleast until level 40 (maybe 30+) where you can begin to get mods for gear that actually reflect your style.

Eternalnight
02.24.2013 , 04:38 PM | #7
well...

Juggernaut/Guardian, Assassin/Shadow, Powertech/Vanguard: 1 tank tree and 2 dps trees

Marauder/Sentinel, Sniper/Gunslinger : All 3 are dps trees.

Sorcerer/Sage, Mercenary/Commando: 1 healer and 2 dps trees

Operative/Scoundrel: 1 healer tree and 2 useless trees that were supposed to be dps