Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

2.0 changes on PTS


Zunayson's Avatar


Zunayson
02.20.2013 , 05:52 PM | #1
Quote:
A new ability, Saber Reflect, has been added. Saber Reflect reflects all direct, single target ranged, Force, and Tech damage back to the attacker for 3 seconds. This ability is trainable at level 51.
A new passive ability, Visionary, has been added. Visionary builds 1 Focus when attacked. This effect cannot occur more than once every 6 seconds.
Guard: Crowd control effects that break on damage will no longer break from damage redirected through Guard. For example, a blinded guarder will no longer be broken out of the blind from damage dealt to a guarded target within guard range.
Guard: Effects that are triggered through dealing damage which affect a target who is guarded will no longer also affect the guarder.
Sundering Strike has been redesigned. This ability now has a 15-second cooldown, applies 20% armor reduction for 45 seconds, and builds 5 Focus. The armor reduction it applies no longer stacks.
Soresu Form no longer generates Focus when attacked.

Vigilance
Shien Form no longer generates Focus when attacked.
Plasma Brand now has a 12-second cooldown and deals slightly more damage and no longer requires an armor reduction effect to be present.

Defense
Guardian Slash has been redesigned. This ability now deals high damage to the target, and if the target is affected by armor reduction this attack will strike up to 4 additional nearby enemies. Using Guardian Slash enables Riposte and increases all damage reduction by 3% for 20 seconds.

Focus (Guardian)
Force Exhaustion now slows targets from 50% (down from 60%) to 5% movement speed and deals damage over 3 seconds.
Focused Resonance now affects all types of damage.
I feel saber reflect will be extremely useful during burn phases. Note that it won't work against melee damage.
When first seeing vissionary, I thought oh goodies, 2 focus every 6 seconds, but no forms will build focus now.
The Sundering strike changes seem to give us our own Zealous Strike. This is good for burst now that our stacks (err... stack, now) gets us the full DR, but this really ruins the simplicity of many rotations.
The Plasma brand I feel is a nerf, since it deals only slightly more damage, I can no longer proc Masterstike or Force Rush as often. I liked how both overhead slash and PB were on 9 sec CDs with the proc for masterstrike.
Obviously buff for tanks, Now it does more damage with an increase in defense and even more with blade barrier from reposte.
The movement speed for Exhaustion is so small I feel it makes little difference, but obvious buff.
Resonance will be broken imo, it will now be 30% surge to everything. I understand that they're a 1 trick pony, but all other specs that run around with lots of resource like vigilance and advanced prototype don't do big hitters. I really hope the new Resonance does not make live update.

What are your thoughts on all this
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

ArenCordial's Avatar


ArenCordial
02.20.2013 , 06:22 PM | #2
So I had a guildmate on the PTS read some of the vigilance guardian changes in the tree.

Key points not in the Darth Hater or patch notes

Preperation reduces the cooldown by 100% on the affected abilities.

Keening gives a 3% increase per point to your burns in addition to the Dispatch chance.

Zunayson's Avatar


Zunayson
02.20.2013 , 07:59 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ArenCordial View Post
So I had a guildmate on the PTS read some of the vigilance guardian changes in the tree.

Key points not in the Darth Hater or patch notes

Preperation reduces the cooldown by 100% on the affected abilities.

Keening gives a 3% increase per point to your burns in addition to the Dispatch chance.
Is preparation the one that allows dispatch on any target? People need to upload videos of each skill tree and hovering over each point for a few seconds.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

ArenCordial's Avatar


ArenCordial
02.20.2013 , 08:23 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Zunayson View Post
Is preparation the one that allows dispatch on any target? People need to upload videos of each skill tree and hovering over each point for a few seconds.
No Keening does that in addition to the burn damage increase.

Preperation is the one that resets Leap, Combat Focus, and Throw at the end of combat. (Think those are the skills, doing it from memory).

wadecounty's Avatar


wadecounty
02.20.2013 , 08:28 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ArenCordial View Post
No Keening does that in addition to the burn damage increase.

Preperation is the one that resets Leap, Combat Focus, and Throw at the end of combat. (Think those are the skills, doing it from memory).
It sounds like preparation could be a nice buff for PvP then, kill a target and instantly have all your Focus generators available again. Won't really matter in PvE.

ArenCordial's Avatar


ArenCordial
02.20.2013 , 08:33 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
It sounds like preparation could be a nice buff for PvP then, kill a target and instantly have all your Focus generators available again. Won't really matter in PvE.
Yeah that was my thought as well. Vigilance did need a little boost PvP wise now that the specs burst has been nerfed by the Force Rush changes. From what my guildmate said Gather Strength looked the same so don't be expecting much there. It seems Preperation + Saber Redirect are the main improvements for Vig Guardians.

PvE wise.....well my copy of the PTS is still downloading. I'm interested to see what will be the differences when I parse myself on the ops dummy.

Anyone had an opportunity to test the changes?

Siorac's Avatar


Siorac
02.21.2013 , 02:39 AM | #7
First of all, you'll be swimming in Focus as Vigilance. As Plasma Brand is now on a 12-sec cooldown you don't use it as often as before; Sundering Strike generates 7 Focus every 12 seconds (with Victory Rush and Improved Sundering Strike); Combat Focus' CD is now a baseline 45 seconds; Zen Strike generates one more Focus; the free Dispatch actually refunds one Focus. Resources are so plentiful that I actually found myself using Slash on the Ops dummy.

Keening is really nice. Plasma Brand's burn can now crit in the 1.3-1.4k range with each tick; Overhead Slash got a damage buff, I hit for 5.7k on the Ops dummy with a mix of Arkanian/Campaign gear but even in my "original", actual gear I hit for close to 5k with it. Without having to spam Sundering Strike the whole experience is just more comfortable and... streamlined. With a 4-36-6 build you can have access to the 7.5% increased crit chance on Slash and Dispatch which is now useful as Dispatch is not an autocrit - if it were, it would be RETARDEDLY OP with Keening. Force Rush now stacks up to two times and the proc is triggered by Dispatch as well as PB and OS - so Blade Storm still gets a 50% increase in crit chance, down from 60%.

In theory that should still make it almost a guaranteed crit - in a 9 minute parse I had 97% crit success with Blade Storm - but crit rating is a bit wonky. Not sure how it's supposed to be but at 275 crit rating I had 21.52% crit chance; I buffed the crit rating to 519 out of curiosity which bumped up the crit chance to... 24.9% if I recall correctly. That's with Smuggler buff, Consular buff, 6% extra Strength, Rakata Might Stim. I know the stat budget is higher at level 55 but THIS higher?

Saber Reflect is really nice in PvP, Preparation... well I barely noticed that since "exiting combat" usually meant death with all the extra damage everyone was dealing with the Expertise changes.

tunewalker's Avatar


tunewalker
02.21.2013 , 06:42 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Siorac View Post
First of all, you'll be swimming in Focus as Vigilance. As Plasma Brand is now on a 12-sec cooldown you don't use it as often as before; Sundering Strike generates 7 Focus every 12 seconds (with Victory Rush and Improved Sundering Strike); Combat Focus' CD is now a baseline 45 seconds; Zen Strike generates one more Focus; the free Dispatch actually refunds one Focus. Resources are so plentiful that I actually found myself using Slash on the Ops dummy.

Keening is really nice. Plasma Brand's burn can now crit in the 1.3-1.4k range with each tick; Overhead Slash got a damage buff, I hit for 5.7k on the Ops dummy with a mix of Arkanian/Campaign gear but even in my "original", actual gear I hit for close to 5k with it. Without having to spam Sundering Strike the whole experience is just more comfortable and... streamlined. With a 4-36-6 build you can have access to the 7.5% increased crit chance on Slash and Dispatch which is now useful as Dispatch is not an autocrit - if it were, it would be RETARDEDLY OP with Keening. Force Rush now stacks up to two times and the proc is triggered by Dispatch as well as PB and OS - so Blade Storm still gets a 50% increase in crit chance, down from 60%.

In theory that should still make it almost a guaranteed crit - in a 9 minute parse I had 97% crit success with Blade Storm - but crit rating is a bit wonky. Not sure how it's supposed to be but at 275 crit rating I had 21.52% crit chance; I buffed the crit rating to 519 out of curiosity which bumped up the crit chance to... 24.9% if I recall correctly. That's with Smuggler buff, Consular buff, 6% extra Strength, Rakata Might Stim. I know the stat budget is higher at level 55 but THIS higher?

Saber Reflect is really nice in PvP, Preparation... well I barely noticed that since "exiting combat" usually meant death with all the extra damage everyone was dealing with the Expertise changes.
actually with the way it is currently on the pts if you do your rotation right its 50% stacking up to 2 times so it ends up being 100% crit chance (a buff technically) as long as you use at least 2 of plasma brand over head slash or dispatch before hand.

Siorac's Avatar


Siorac
02.21.2013 , 07:34 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by tunewalker View Post
actually with the way it is currently on the pts if you do your rotation right its 50% stacking up to 2 times so it ends up being 100% crit chance (a buff technically) as long as you use at least 2 of plasma brand over head slash or dispatch before hand.
Oh, cool. Then I screwed up somewhere, not really a surprise

ArenCordial's Avatar


ArenCordial
02.21.2013 , 09:11 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by tunewalker View Post
actually with the way it is currently on the pts if you do your rotation right its 50% stacking up to 2 times so it ends up being 100% crit chance (a buff technically) as long as you use at least 2 of plasma brand over head slash or dispatch before hand.
Thats great news! Some of the changes from the sounds of things had me hesitant at first but this is very reasuring.