Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper 2.0 PTS!

AngelFluttershy
03.22.2013 , 12:08 AM | #391
Hello Snipers! I hope you don't mind a Gunslinger popping in to throw out a question or two on a 2.0 build.

I've noticed that Marksman seems to be doing pretty well in PvE now; nearly up to the level of Lethality/Engineering hybrid. There was an older Marksman/Engineering hybrid spec I remember hearing and reading about that some players liked to use pre-1.2. Just for fun, I have been parsing the following spec:

MM/Engineer Hybrid: 28/18/0

The idea goes off that MM doesn't seem to be as crit dependent as the other specs, so neither should this hybrid. This means a player could run a power set (seeing as crit rating is bad on the PTS as you all know) and possibly be more successful than some of the other specs. However, I'm not that good with MM (hence me not linking any of my own parses), so I don't think I'm playing this MM/Engineer hybrid quite right. There seems to be a problem with energy management due to Explosive Probe costing quite a bit now in 2.0.

My hope is that those of you more familiar with MM, and possibly this spec, could parse it on the Ops dummy and tell me what you think of the spec, and possibly put up some parses for me to look at. From my own tests the hybrid seems to be similar to MM's damage, or I'm just piss poor at MM.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

paowee
03.22.2013 , 12:17 PM | #392
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelFluttershy View Post
Hello Snipers! I hope you don't mind a Gunslinger popping in to throw out a question or two on a 2.0 build.

I've noticed that Marksman seems to be doing pretty well in PvE now; nearly up to the level of Lethality/Engineering hybrid. There was an older Marksman/Engineering hybrid spec I remember hearing and reading about that some players liked to use pre-1.2. Just for fun, I have been parsing the following spec:

MM/Engineer Hybrid: 28/18/0

The idea goes off that MM doesn't seem to be as crit dependent as the other specs, so neither should this hybrid. This means a player could run a power set (seeing as crit rating is bad on the PTS as you all know) and possibly be more successful than some of the other specs. However, I'm not that good with MM (hence me not linking any of my own parses), so I don't think I'm playing this MM/Engineer hybrid quite right. There seems to be a problem with energy management due to Explosive Probe costing quite a bit now in 2.0.

My hope is that those of you more familiar with MM, and possibly this spec, could parse it on the Ops dummy and tell me what you think of the spec, and possibly put up some parses for me to look at. From my own tests the hybrid seems to be similar to MM's damage, or I'm just piss poor at MM.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!
The way Scum and Villany boss encounters are built, Marksmen Snipers WILL give Hybrid snipers a run for their money e.g. Styrak and the Puzzle boss in my experience.

I've tried that Hybrid build and found that i did less DPS. That may also be due to the fact that i parsed it less than 10 times and was not comfortable with the spec yet. Needless to say I respecd back to full MM and did not bother testing out any other hybrid builds >_< (not enough time!) lol But ill try this out in the dummy and raids again and post here what i can.

I am also a bit biased towards full MM because every ~minute you can get a fast casted Orbital Strike not to mention you can go to town on your energy bar and not have to worry because of Sniper volley It also has an easier rotation (no DoT to track whatsoever haha
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

AngelFluttershy
03.22.2013 , 03:37 PM | #393
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
The way Scum and Villany boss encounters are built, Marksmen Snipers WILL give Hybrid snipers a run for their money e.g. Styrak and the Puzzle boss in my experience.

I've tried that Hybrid build and found that i did less DPS. That may also be due to the fact that i parsed it less than 10 times and was not comfortable with the spec yet. Needless to say I respecd back to full MM and did not bother testing out any other hybrid builds >_< (not enough time!) lol But ill try this out in the dummy and raids again and post here what i can.

I am also a bit biased towards full MM because every ~minute you can get a fast casted Orbital Strike not to mention you can go to town on your energy bar and not have to worry because of Sniper volley It also has an easier rotation (no DoT to track whatsoever haha
Thanks Paowee! I don't play full MM a lot on live but I've been toying with it on the PTS and it does feel pretty nice now. Plus all those fast OSs are great, hence why I hope the MM/Engineer hybrid works well because they would be a OS wrecking machine!

donnjon
03.22.2013 , 08:02 PM | #394
I've said it once already, be leary of hybrids with the comeing exp. Their doing all the can to kill all the hybrind specs in the game. Not saying it wont work. But if it does, don't be suprised if the come back and hit it hard witht he nerf bat.

AngelFluttershy
03.23.2013 , 12:24 AM | #395
Quote: Originally Posted by donnjon View Post
I've said it once already, be leary of hybrids with the comeing exp. Their doing all the can to kill all the hybrind specs in the game. Not saying it wont work. But if it does, don't be suprised if the come back and hit it hard witht he nerf bat.
It's still fun to experiment with them regardless, and if they make them useless so be it. There are three good specs available as it is.

Ardarell_Solo
03.25.2013 , 08:05 AM | #396
As far as I can tell from my slinger experience on PTS, the engineer/lethality sniper is still viable, if not the best build. Even on a training dummy the parses are among the highest. But the most important thing is: It hast the best sustained damage in "real life" (especially single target) fights with e.g. a lot of movement phases: Apart from the Cull and SOS phases you can continue your rotation even in phases with constant movement like having to evade voids on the ground etc.

The hardest thing to pull off on live had been energy management: That was the reason why on my German server most slingers soon gave up on hybrid, because they just couldn't get their rotation to work for more than 3 minutes. It took me 4 weeks to pull off constant hybrid rotations with sustained damage of 2150 dps for 20 minutes without ever running out of energy.

And now energy is not an issue on PTS anymore dute to alacrity and energy cost reductions of the core ablities...
El'ethon (Sentinel) | Rickmyron (Gunslinger) | Alreegan (Sage) | Vayus (Guardian)
Dacs (Commando) | Troř (Vanguard) | Ianea (Shadow) | Craeg (Scoundrel)
GM <Taking the Jawas to Alderaan> (T3-M4) -> Bewerbung
Freue mich Řber Feedback zu meinem Wachmann PVE Guide 4.0.

DesmoLegacy
03.25.2013 , 12:23 PM | #397
As long as Lethality remains one of the better PvP specs i'm happy...my server is filled with underperforming full WH nubs running Marksman in PvP. Such a garbage low skill cap, PvE-like play style that is fitting for keyboard turners and clickers. Cover system and cast times are for scrubs, shoot on the run or go home.

I may have to dust my sniper off in 2.0 assuming Leth is still the *******.
Ducatii - 50 Marauder | Ducatista - 50 Operative
Dain'ese - 50 Juggernaut | Ducatisti - 50 Sniper
D'ucati - 50 Sentinel | Duc'ati - 50 Sage | Enduro - 50 Vanguard

thefishdude
03.26.2013 , 04:31 PM | #398
Quote: Originally Posted by DesmoLegacy View Post
Cover system and cast times are for scrubs, shoot on the run or go home..
that has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen written on these forums (unless it's a troll at which point it's one of the worst trolls i've ever seen). Going into cover prevents being pulled, leapt to or interrupted (i.e. cull).

If you're not using one of the huge advantages of being a sniper, you might as well just roll a Merc or Sorc dps.

verfallen
03.26.2013 , 05:21 PM | #399
Quote: Originally Posted by thefishdude View Post
that has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen written on these forums (unless it's a troll at which point it's one of the worst trolls i've ever seen). Going into cover prevents being pulled, leapt to or interrupted (i.e. cull).

If you're not using one of the huge advantages of being a sniper, you might as well just roll a Merc or Sorc dps.

And prevent leapers from...well leaping in pvp.

Lethality is less cover dependent, true. More mobile, very true. But if you can stay in cover, regardless of spec, you stay in cover.

Sosajoshua
03.27.2013 , 11:56 AM | #400
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
And prevent leapers from...well leaping in pvp.

Lethality is less cover dependent, true. More mobile, very true. But if you can stay in cover, regardless of spec, you stay in cover.
Yeah I run full Leth now and while I am more mobile and I like it I still dont go running all over. Plus with Cover Escape omg itll be beautiful
<A Wretched Hive> Jedi Covenant Rhaegis, Madness Sorcerer / Youngdragon, Advanced Proto-tech / Kha'leesi, Engineering Sniper / Dragonbane, Vengence Juggernaut